Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can I opt out of contributing to the new royal yacht and put my bit into the NHS please

(111 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-May-21 11:24:05

This could not come at a worse time imo

trisher Wed 05-May-21 14:39:02

Bodach Are you actually interested in the answers to your questions - or are you just taking the opportunity to sneer? Since I suspect it's the latter, I won't bother
Do you mean I was supposed to take the suggestion that I joined the navy seriously???? This is GRANS net and even if I was one of the younger grans-which I'm not- I doubt if the navy would want me. So who is sneering????

vampirequeen Wed 05-May-21 14:56:29

Can you produce some evidence to support you claims that it will bring in business? Also how much will this business be worth? The yacht is projected to cost £200 million but then there will be the yearly running costs. Vessels of this sort are not cheap to run and maintain. Will the RN provide officers, crew and a Royal Marine band in the same way they did before? Who will pay their wages?

The RF have the Royal Train and cars to travel in the UK or they can access helicopters if they want to get somewhere faster. They have the Royal Flight if they want to go abroad. We already fund these. Do we really need to fund a Royal Yacht?

Businessmen travel by plane, train and car. Embassies and the government can host/organise sales campaigns. Governments negotiate treaties. None of these need to take place on a yacht.

Sea travel was much more common in the 1950s when HMY Britannia was built. The same cannot of be said of today.

Callistemon Wed 05-May-21 16:33:51

Bodach
?

Actually, I think the RF would rarely get a cruise on it, vampirequeen!

vampirequeen Wed 05-May-21 16:53:03

Where did I say they would use it for cruising?

I asked if it was necessary for them to have this particular form of transport why meetings couldn't be held in Embassies or hired buildings. The yacht is unnecessary in this day and age.

Callistemon Wed 05-May-21 17:22:12

Where did I say they would use it for cruising?

How would you describe transport by a ship manned by RN personnel then?

vampirequeen Wed 05-May-21 19:34:20

Cruising suggests they're on holiday. I never said anything like that. I just don't see the point of them having a yacht when they are used to using other methods.

Callistemon Wed 05-May-21 19:35:34

Oh, I see now, you didnt understand. It's ok.

RN tours are often referred to as a cruise.

MerylStreep Wed 05-May-21 19:54:57

The Overseas Trade board estimated that Britannia made 3 billion pounds for the exchequer between 1991- 1995.

vegansrock Wed 05-May-21 20:00:41

That was actually 30 years ago and how was that calculated?

vampirequeen Wed 05-May-21 21:06:56

I know what it made 30 years ago. I want to see the evidence you're using to say that it would make money nowadays.

Alegrias1 Wed 05-May-21 21:22:46

Foreign trade is about £1,000 billion a year currently. So 3 billion over 4 years is about 0.08% of our international trade.

We could probably manage without a fancy boat.

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 21:26:13

....a fancy boat..... grin

Sorry, it just amused me.

nanna8 Thu 06-May-21 04:32:26

Oh get rid of them all, they just perpetuate that dreadful caste system, I mean class. Have a revolution , shoot them, whatever...

nanna8 Thu 06-May-21 04:34:18

I suppose I’d better explain, irony being a bit difficult here, I did not mean the above literally!

vegansrock Thu 06-May-21 06:47:22

It’s definitely 2 fingers up to the hot polloi who are struggling.

nanna8 Thu 06-May-21 11:38:04

I doubt they even give them a second thought tbh. Different world for them.

Alegrias1 Thu 06-May-21 11:42:35

To be fair, it seems the RF don't want one. Its the Tories who are getting all excited about boats of all kinds this week.

Lucca Thu 06-May-21 12:16:59

nanna8

Oh get rid of them all, they just perpetuate that dreadful caste system, I mean class. Have a revolution , shoot them, whatever...

Who said anything like that ? ( and yes I do get irony ta)It just seems like a poor decision
in the current financial climate (is that a thing ?,)

Grany Thu 13-May-21 09:51:57

Cancel plans to commission a new Royal Yacht

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/584822

Grany Thu 13-May-21 16:17:03

If you would prefer the plans to commission a royal yacht spent on something better like the NHS for example

You can if you want sign the petition above

Thank you.

Sarnia Mon 21-Jun-21 11:23:30

News this morning that Boris has been busy designing the new Royal Yacht. I suppose it fills the time when there is not much else to do. It has been dismissed by a leading naval architect as looking like a '1950's fishing trawler'. Surely there are better ways to spend several million.

theworriedwell Mon 21-Jun-21 11:32:21

Sarnia

News this morning that Boris has been busy designing the new Royal Yacht. I suppose it fills the time when there is not much else to do. It has been dismissed by a leading naval architect as looking like a '1950's fishing trawler'. Surely there are better ways to spend several million.

I thought he was working 24/7 on Covid? Has he found an extra hour in the day? Can we all have one?

GillT57 Mon 21-Jun-21 12:35:56

I thought he spent his hours of spare time making buses out of bits of balsa wood?

MaizieD Mon 21-Jun-21 12:40:46

GillT57

I thought he spent his hours of spare time making buses out of bits of balsa wood?

Wasn't it cardboard boxes?

Anyway, it's not a 'Royal' yacht, the royals don't want it. It's being reinvented as a mobile trade exhibition centre, I believe.

But we all know it's just a free cruise ship for Mr & Mrs Johnson...

Lin52 Mon 21-Jun-21 12:52:28

Whitewavemark2

New royal yacht named after Prince Philip to be 'commissioned within weeks', costing as much as £200m

Sky.

Believe anything from Sky, definitely not. Will wait for any official announcement, sick of the media reporting nothing concrete, just ifs buts and maybes. Trying to whip up controversy where there is non, yet. Personally, this is a no go for me, unless beeb pay for it, but they are anti anything British , so can’t see that happening, they won’t even let 95 year olds have a free TV licence, with their 3 million profit.