Gransnet forums

News & politics

France threatens to cut power to Jersey amid fishing row

(287 Posts)
Blossoming Wed 05-May-21 15:07:52

What an absolutely ludicrous threat by Annick Girardin. I’m not a Brexiteer, but I cannot think of any way to defend this.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56984886?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=IND_INSIDE_POLITICS%202021-05-05&utm_term=IND_Brexit_CDP

Mamie Sun 09-May-21 11:57:23

Interesting to read that some of the protesting boats were from Jersey - also furious with the Jersey government!

Kali2 Mon 10-May-21 10:31:45

MaizieD

Buffybee

I think the threat by France to cut off the electricity to Jersey will backfire on them.
I’ve read that instead of looking to France for our future electricity needs, we are considering Norway to be perhaps a better option.

Why should Norway provide us with electricity?
Why can't we generate all our own electricity?

I thought we were a splendid, world beating nation able to stand proudly on our own two feet without being obliged to anyone. It's a bit pathetic to have to go crawling to Norway for our electricity, isn't it?
Especially as the mean b*ggers won't let us share their fish...

Well, if you are going to really really make your neighbours angry by your terrible, unreasonable behaviour, and make it abundantly clear your word cannot be trusted - make sure beforehand you don't seel all your essential utilities to them ... I'd say!

Lin52 Mon 10-May-21 11:33:07

Macrons threats, this is what a Putin would do, not something we should expect from a “friendly power”. He is a thug, and Somerset Brie is much nicer than the French version.

Namsnanny Mon 10-May-21 11:44:51

Mamie

I think that is an over-simplification Namsnanny. Traditionally there has been a lot of paperwork, but I wouldn't say people hate it. We roll our eyes and get on with it. Far more is done electronically now - I even have a prototype vaccine passport on an app on my phone, uploaded after the second injection!

Yes I think it was an oversimplification, probably due to the constriction of my inability to put my pov quickly!

effalump Thu 13-May-21 13:20:42

What can I say about the French. Probably like going round hitting people with their baguettes and throwing their dummies out of the prams. wink

Lin52 Thu 13-May-21 13:34:08

Kali2

MaizieD

Buffybee

I think the threat by France to cut off the electricity to Jersey will backfire on them.
I’ve read that instead of looking to France for our future electricity needs, we are considering Norway to be perhaps a better option.

Why should Norway provide us with electricity?
Why can't we generate all our own electricity?

I thought we were a splendid, world beating nation able to stand proudly on our own two feet without being obliged to anyone. It's a bit pathetic to have to go crawling to Norway for our electricity, isn't it?
Especially as the mean b*ggers won't let us share their fish...

Well, if you are going to really really make your neighbours angry by your terrible, unreasonable behaviour, and make it abundantly clear your word cannot be trusted - make sure beforehand you don't seel all your essential utilities to them ... I'd say!

www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/28/uk-electricity-from-renewables-outpaces-gas-and-coal-power?back=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fclient%3Dsafari%26as_qdr%3Dall%26as_occt%3Dany%26safe%3Dactive%26as_q%3DHow+much+electricity+does+the+UK+generate+through+green+power%26channel%3Daplab%26source%3Da-app1%26hl%3Den.

lemongrove Thu 13-May-21 13:34:43

Mamie

Listening to the fishermen speaking on the French news it seems more complicated than just not filling in the paperwork. There were people who had filled it in properly and ended up with something totally incorrect when they received the permit.

Well...they would say that wouldn’t they??

Lin52 Thu 13-May-21 13:35:39

By the way kali2, if Norway wishes to sell, then we can buy.

Mamie Thu 13-May-21 14:55:00

Lemongrove I am inclined to reply "well you would say that wouldn't you?" ???
Still, good to see the Jersey government has now backed down and the status quo will remain.

Kali2 Fri 14-May-21 12:15:14

Not so fast - fishing right are linked to other rights and issues- and can't be separated. Not seen the end of this, it seems.

Jersey has handed French fishermen more time to meet new fishing rules an effort to solve a tense fishing rights dispute.

The extension until 1 July is a sign of “good faith” that the row over France’s post-Brexit rights can be resolved, the Government of Jersey said.

''An ongoing row over access to the UK’s fishing territory saw France and Britain send patrol vessels to Jersey last week, to monitor a protest by French trawlers in St Helier harbour.

Meanwhile it has emerged that Paris is blocking a post-Brexit financial services deal between the EU and Britain until Boris Johnson hands fishermen greater access to British waters.''

Kali2 Fri 14-May-21 12:15:56

www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/jersey-caves-as-macron-blocks-financial-services-deal-amid-fishing-row-269300/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=sfeu