Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Common Good Party - where will I find it?

(85 Posts)
PippaZ Sat 08-May-21 10:08:08

I do like reading Richard Murphy's blogs and often find them challenging my views. This one that caught my imagination

Let’s do it instead - turning our work, our communities, our finances, our government, our taxes, to common purpose. To deliver what we all need. Together, that is, because none of us are unaffected by this.

Let’s build the place we have to be.

That is a vision.

You need to read the article to get the details of his thinking but then can anyone tell me - Is there any chance of a Common Good Party and if so where will it come from?

silverlining48 Sat 08-May-21 12:39:23

Just listened to r4 From our own Corespondent this morning and a report from Germany (famous for its long words) about all the new covid related words being used.
In passing he said that the Germans have an strong ethos of fairness which is why their politicians waited their turn despite offers to have it done early, and that included Angela Merkel. Instead of ordering vaccine at the start, which they could easily have done, they knew German people would not have been happy. So they waited for all the EU, rich and poor, and ordered it jointly. Which is why it has been so slow. It’s picking up I am happy to say especially as my dd lives there.

PippaZ Sat 08-May-21 12:41:37

I heard it Silverlining and was impressed.

Peasblossom Sat 08-May-21 13:11:05

Mmm, if it’s all about fairness why does the vaccination rate go from 3.8 in Bulgaria to 14.1 in Denmark? With a host of variation in between.

(I’m discounting Malta and Hungary who got doses from elsewhere)

No, I don’t buy that one. I don’t think history shows fairness as an inherent German characteristic ?

PippaZ Sat 08-May-21 13:32:24

Have you lived there Peasblossom or are you going back three-quarters of a century

silverlining48 Sat 08-May-21 13:35:00

My thought too Pippa.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-May-21 13:43:24

PippaZ

Have you lived there Peasblossom or are you going back three-quarters of a century

AC lived in Germany for seven years, spent lots of time over there. The German people are just the same as any other humans.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-May-21 13:44:53

Unless it’s a market of course then it’s every man, women and child for themselves!

Peasblossom Sat 08-May-21 13:52:09

Yup, I’ve lived there. I would say they like order, and clearly defined boundaries and for people to adhere to that.

They can’t queue for toffee. Don’t leave even a little gap because someone will step into it?

Peasblossom Sat 08-May-21 13:57:44

Perhaps that’s what he means by fair. People abiding by decisions as a whole and not sidestepping them.

It doesn’t mean the decisions taken are fair though. Society is even more divided there than here.

silverlining48 Sat 08-May-21 15:09:02

I have visited family and friends regularly over the past 60 odd years and have always been surprised they think we are such wonderful, good people, yet there is still such negativity from us. Obviously there are good and bad everywhere but we have experienced above and beyond kindness more than a few times over the years.

silverlining48 Sat 08-May-21 15:10:47

Granny gravy that’s markets for you grin

M0nica Sat 08-May-21 15:14:33

PippaZ*, it is exactly the same thing.

M0nica:
Our current system is based on different parties having strong beliefs about what is best (common good) for the country and how to implement it.

I don't think that is true. The two main parties are based on culture, not good for all. They both only represent a part of our country.

PippaZ Sat 08-May-21 17:25:19

M0nica Sat 08-May-21 15:14:33
I'm sorry, M0nica, but I can't make any sense of that post. Have the quotes moved or something?

M0nica Sat 08-May-21 17:35:13

*PippaZ8, On reading it back it is confusing, my apologies. The first line was a response to a couple of lines I wrote and then your response to them. The first response was my response to what was written below. In para terms read 2,3,1.

PippaZ Sat 08-May-21 19:48:07

Thank you M0nica. Where did I say "it is exactly the same thing"? I cant see what it relates to.

PippaZ Sat 08-May-21 19:53:32

Ah - that was what you were saying. I don't agree. Political policy and playing cultures of against each other are very different. The culture wars seem to contain very little policy and a lot of name calling. All encouraged by Trump/Johnson.

M0nica Sat 08-May-21 19:55:31

PippaZ. do stop your unreasoned prejudices get in the way of calm judgement.

PippaZ Sat 08-May-21 20:42:00

Well they are not just my "prejudices" as you call my opinion just because it does chime your. There have been acres of articles about the culture wars outstriping policy disussions and the culture wars have been encouraged by Trump and Johnson. Not much else to say when you don't seem to have read much about it.

Callistemon Sat 08-May-21 20:50:21

The Common Good Party - where will I find it?

Throughout the UK amongst ordinary people who may vote differently from each other and would probably never want to enter politics anyway.

PippaZ Sat 08-May-21 22:24:49

You could well be right Callistemon but we do still have to elect a government.

love0c Sun 09-May-21 08:33:54

I don't think we will get a party 'for the common good'. Politics and someone aiming to go high and be in control of us does not attract a person whose goal is to help others. It only attracts those wishing to benefit themselves. Decent people are too busy living their own lives than to become involved in trying to run everyone else's lives.

MaizieD Sun 09-May-21 08:45:48

love0c

I don't think we will get a party 'for the common good'. Politics and someone aiming to go high and be in control of us does not attract a person whose goal is to help others. It only attracts those wishing to benefit themselves. Decent people are too busy living their own lives than to become involved in trying to run everyone else's lives.

I think this is deeply insulting to the many people who go into politics with a real desire to help to make the country a better place for its citizens. They're not all like Johnson you know.

Galaxy Sun 09-May-21 08:48:40

Yes I agree I think of the likes of Jo Cox who was obviously a decent person, whose family continue to act to further the causes she cared about. I think many decent people are interested in politics.

JenniferEccles Sun 09-May-21 08:54:27

The Common Good Party?
It sounds a bit too much like a hippy commune to me !

PippaZ Sun 09-May-21 09:00:49

Galaxy, Maizie, I agree. There are many good people, working for the best for all, who become MPs. Johnson is the most extreme case of someone who only seems to work for himself we have seen for a very long time but let's not paint them all with the same brush. Just because your neighbour is found to be a thief wouldn't be thought to mean that all who live in that street are thieves or all who do the same job.

There seems to be a great lack of critical thinking and analytical skills in some voters. It's because of this people like Johnson are allowed to flourish.