Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Common Good Party - where will I find it?

(85 Posts)
PippaZ Sat 08-May-21 10:08:08

I do like reading Richard Murphy's blogs and often find them challenging my views. This one that caught my imagination

Let’s do it instead - turning our work, our communities, our finances, our government, our taxes, to common purpose. To deliver what we all need. Together, that is, because none of us are unaffected by this.

Let’s build the place we have to be.

That is a vision.

You need to read the article to get the details of his thinking but then can anyone tell me - Is there any chance of a Common Good Party and if so where will it come from?

MaizieD Tue 11-May-21 11:10:59

MaizieD Have you heard of something called a joke? Difficult to explain but a good dictionary should define it

Well, I did laugh, didn't I?

growstuff Tue 11-May-21 11:25:14

I have seen the results of two recent polls. One claimed that 14% of over 60s and the other 20% of pensioners voted Tory, so possibly GN doesn't represent a cross-section of the population.

PippaZ Tue 11-May-21 11:33:13

M0nica

MaizieD Have you heard of something called a joke? Difficult to explain but a good dictionary should define it.

Although based on the evidence of last week's elections, especially where I live (Oxfordshire), it may not be a joke.

Not everyone shares the same sense of humour though unless this is now a diktat from the Tories. Does this mean we now have to laugh at Hoorays destroying a restaurant for "fun" at the discomfort of other dinners and at other tricks that the Eton crowd get up to because they were so entitled?

I always find it odd when someone on here tells someone else off for not getting their joke. In real life bad or unfunny jokes just get ignored and people don't comment about their own. The differences of online and RL I suppose.

growstuff Tue 11-May-21 11:34:55

I think the nearest to a "common good party" is probably the Green Party.

Ilovecheese Tue 11-May-21 11:47:55

I think you might be right there growstuff the environment is important to the whole world.

growstuff Tue 11-May-21 11:56:53

The Green Party isn't just interested in the environment. I'd like to see a party with a genuine commitment to mental health, which affects people from all groups. LibDem Norman Lamb did a huge amount for mental health, much of which wasn't acknowledged.

PippaZ Tue 11-May-21 12:25:27

I agree Growstuff and I find the GP interesting. I can get piles of information into my email box from Labour and the LibDems but haven't found a source for Green Party information unfortunately.

nadateturbe Tue 11-May-21 12:40:54

Anniebach

What is - the common good, we are not cattle

Anniebach I don't get what you're saying.

varian Tue 11-May-21 12:55:03

growstuff

The Green Party isn't just interested in the environment. I'd like to see a party with a genuine commitment to mental health, which affects people from all groups. LibDem Norman Lamb did a huge amount for mental health, much of which wasn't acknowledged.

The Liberal Democrats have done a huge amount of good in many areas which is never acknowledged.

For instance party leader Ed Davey was the Energy and Climate change minister responsible for wide ranging reduction in energy consumption and Co2 emissions that the Tories now claim credit for.

How do they get away with it? - easy when they have all the billionaire newspaper proprietors championing their cause