Gransnet forums

News & politics

EU citizens in the UK

(67 Posts)
varian Wed 02-Jun-21 19:51:24

More than 5.2 million EU citizens living in the UK have so far applied for settled status. Since the referendum of 2016, many EU citizens have left the UK.

At the time of the referendum we were told that there were about 3,5million EU citizens living in the UK.

It was utterly scandalous that these people who lived here and worked and paid taxes in many cases for most of their adult lives, were completely disenfranchised - unable to vote in the referendum.

It now looks as if this was a serious underestimate of the number of those people, most of whom would have wanted the UK to Remain in the EU.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 03-Jun-21 05:45:05

Well 5.2 million EU citizens have decided that they prefer the U.K. out of the EU and want to live here.

So, I don’t really get what your point is.

It’s a pity that the EU aren’t treating our U.K. citizens in the same way.

vegansrock Thu 03-Jun-21 05:54:17

My EU born DiL has been here since she was 4, works in the NHS, is married to a Brit (my DS), has 2 Brit ( now dual nationality ) children and has had to pay over £1k to get U.K. citizenship just so PPatel won’t deport her( her words). My DS has got a French passport ( courtesy of his marriage) which cost £90 and he had to do a French language test. They are thinking of leaving the U.K. , so don’t worry folks lots of bright people will leave these unwelcoming shores.

Ashcombe Thu 03-Jun-21 06:10:49

I think varian means that some EU citizens felt that their future status in the UK post Brexit was uncertain so they returned to their home countries whilst jobs there might still be available. Some had found the unpleasant attitude of some British people after the referendum to be intolerable.

Although I can’t speak for all EU countries, my DH lives in France and had to apply to remain there. This involved producing evidence of taxes paid there, etc and being finger printed. It was time consuming but not difficult and unsurprising once the result of our referendum was known.

In the news here, it is concerning that market gardeners are struggling to find people willing to pick crops now that our supply of European workers has diminished. Equally, care homes have problems with recruitment in some areas.

A dear Dutch friend with a British husband found the process to achieve settled status here so lugubrious and was made to feel so unwelcome in this strongly pro Brexit area, that they’ve sold up and gone to live in the Netherlands.

vegansrock Thu 03-Jun-21 07:32:15

Tim Martin the Wetherspoons guy, now want immigration rules relaxed as he can’t get staff! Couldn’t make it up.

MaizieD Thu 03-Jun-21 08:27:35

Oopsadaisy1

Well 5.2 million EU citizens have decided that they prefer the U.K. out of the EU and want to live here.

So, I don’t really get what your point is.

It’s a pity that the EU aren’t treating our U.K. citizens in the same way.

What an extraordinary way to spin this.

WRT the EU not treating our citizens the same way I, for one, will be deeply relieved to know that when we manage to get to visit France again we won't be stopped at the border, have our possessions taken from us and be made to return to the UK... ?

I understand, from reports, that long term resident UK citizens in EU countries have found it much easier and
cheaper to get settled status than have EU country nationals in the UK.

But sadly, just thinking about the futility and nastiness of upsetting so many millions of people's lives for no discernable good reason makes me angry all over again.

Lin52 Thu 03-Jun-21 08:35:53

Do you remember the nastiness from Dutch border guards gleefully taking peoples food from them, saying welcome to Brexit. As for France well will not ever set foot in it again, and my niece and her French partner very pleased to leave it last year, because of the small minded people and the racism, oh yes France is not always so inclusive if your face doesn’t fit.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Jun-21 08:55:33

I am so cross this morning. I ordered a piece of jewellery from France about a month ago for my daughter’s birthday on Saturday.

Previous to this the wait was at most a week.

It has been held up at every stage because of bloody Brexit.

Still sat in Castle Donington - waiting for customs clearance.

The whole thing is an absolute nightmare.

silverlining48 Thu 03-Jun-21 08:58:37

Vegan. How upsetting fir your dil who has known no other country but this. I was born in Europe with one British parent. and came here in the late 40 s, as a Baby.
Post windrush/Brexit I got a bit twitchy and phoned immigration to check my situation. They said it’s not possible to check as a lot of records were lost in a fire but if I have a British passport I should not worry. Assume your dil did not have a British passport, because of course there was no need to worry while we were in Europe.
I am old enough to remember times prior to us joining the EEC when the UK was known as the sick man of Europe, hope that doesn’t come back to haunt us....but fear it might.

MaizieD Thu 03-Jun-21 09:27:05

Do you remember the nastiness from Dutch border guards gleefully taking peoples food from them, saying welcome to Brexit.

Of course, confiscating a few sandwiches is definitely the equivalent of detaining a whole person, taking their possessions and sending them back to where they came from.

I think I have a right to be angry at the horrible consequences of the Leave vote, which I didn't want.

But people who positively voted to become a third country just look very silly when getting indignant about being treated as such.

Chewbacca Thu 03-Jun-21 09:36:56

vegansrock

Tim Martin the Wetherspoons guy, now want immigration rules relaxed as he can’t get staff! Couldn’t make it up.

Tim Martin, boss of Wetherspoons, has denied that vegansrock. He has actually said "There was no recruitment issue other than in small coastal towns. He added that Wetherspoons was not struggling to recruit, and in some towns, such as Northallerton, jobs at its pubs were oversubscribed."

JenniferEccles Thu 03-Jun-21 11:24:21

Please, please, we have left the EU. Finally completely, permanently (hopefully).

How long is all this pointless bitterness about the result going to last?

The referendum was for us, the British public to decide whether or not we wanted to remain in the EU.
Of course it was correct that Europeans who happened to be living here (in many cases just for a few years) weren’t entitled to vote.

It’s really not healthy to hold on to all this resentment.

Lin52 Thu 03-Jun-21 12:07:14

Cannot understand anyone buying jewellery from Europe. So much handmade in the UK. We live on the NE coast, have two designers, used by the famous, as well as artisan jewellery, would rather support here.

Lin52 Thu 03-Jun-21 12:11:01

Totally agree. My sister living in Germany for 40 years, also not allowed to vote in anything other than local elections. Unless you become a naturalised citizen, no vote in GE or referendum. Paying taxes is for the services people use, not a voting pathway.

MawBe Thu 03-Jun-21 12:32:53

JenniferEccles

Please, please, we have left the EU. Finally completely, permanently (hopefully).

How long is all this pointless bitterness about the result going to last?

The referendum was for us, the British public to decide whether or not we wanted to remain in the EU.
Of course it was correct that Europeans who happened to be living here (in many cases just for a few years) weren’t entitled to vote.

It’s really not healthy to hold on to all this resentment.

I can understand feelings of anger and disappointment and frustration when a referendum or election has gone the opposite way to our views.
I am not saying these opinions are not valid, but questioning the point of holding on to resentment
If ever there was time to see the sense of this well known quotation, especially its last part, this is it.

Ellianne Thu 03-Jun-21 12:40:22

We helped an EU relative to sort out their UK settled status last week. They have been here 30 years. A photo to upload to the App plus a fair few details, but all in all quite quick and painless. From what I see the government has made it fairly easy.

Galaxy Thu 03-Jun-21 12:44:59

I think it's because people have different opinions and ways of doing things than you Lin, I am sorry if you find that difficult to understand.

vegansrock Thu 03-Jun-21 12:57:04

The Home Office declarations are completely untrustworthy as the Windrush scandal showed. The guy who fixed my floor recently was telling me his dad, who went to school and worked in the U.K. his whole life, and has got a state pension, had been stopped from entry back into the U.K. after a holiday in Jamaica and was still there - he couldn’t find all the documents from 40 odd years ago to show his existence. The scandal still rolls on. My DIL didn’t trust the “settled status” notion so has had to jump through all sorts of ridiculous and expensive hoops to get dual citizenship. She had to take a test about the U.K. which I doubt many British people could pass.

Greta Thu 03-Jun-21 13:14:53

”How long is all this pointless bitterness about the result going to last? ”
Well, it's going to last and last. It sounds as if Brexit hasn't affected you – yet. So no empathy for those it has.

Many EU nationals wanting to visit the UK as tourists have now been held in detention centres. It seems the hostile environment policy is working well.

Elianne: ”We helped an EU relative to sort out their UK settled status last week. They have been here 30 years. A photo to upload to the App plus a fair few details, but all in all quite quick and painless. From what I see the government has made it fairly easy. ”

Yes, the government has made it easy – for some. I'm pleased it was so for you. But you did it for your EU relative. So she/he didn't manage to do it her/himself? This is one of the difficulties. Many elderly have no longer got a passport, they don't use a mobile phone, can't therefore take a selfie and can't upload apps. I don't know how old your relative is but I know several in their 80's and 90's and for them it has been a real worry.

Lin52 Thu 03-Jun-21 13:24:02

Well I bow to your superiority., how rude you are, there are ways and means of communicating with people, calling people silly because they have a different view to you. Perhaps the visitors should have had the correct paperwork, as I will do if I ever want to visit a foreign country, never any problems visiting Australia, Sri Lanka, Dubai, Oman, Turkey, as made sure paperwork was correct.

varian Thu 03-Jun-21 13:37:05

OF course all adults living in a country (perhaps after a minimum period of a year at most) and paying taxes should be able to vote. Whatever happened to "no taxation without representation"?

Lin52 Thu 03-Jun-21 13:39:36

This is not allowed in the EU ,apart from local elections, unless you are a citizen. So it should be. Taxes are for services used, not a path to voting rights.

MawBe Thu 03-Jun-21 13:45:07

Many EU nationals wanting to visit the UK as tourists have now been held in detention centres. It seems the hostile environment policy is working well.

Can you provide evidence for this Greta apart from the Covid based restrictions on entry into the U.K. from other countries. Let’s not conflate Brexit and Covid.

grannyactivist Thu 03-Jun-21 13:48:48

I have a close relative whose French mother now has settled status and I was so relieved to hear the news I could have cried. She’s paid tax in this country all of her working life, but still had to pay ££££s for her application.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 03-Jun-21 13:50:52

MawBee those few EU Citizens (not sure of exact numbers but less than 20) were coming to U.K. for job interviews and one was to take care of her brother’s children.

Not tourists the story was in one of the broadsheets a few weeks ago.