Gransnet forums

News & politics

EU citizens in the UK

(68 Posts)
varian Wed 02-Jun-21 19:51:24

More than 5.2 million EU citizens living in the UK have so far applied for settled status. Since the referendum of 2016, many EU citizens have left the UK.

At the time of the referendum we were told that there were about 3,5million EU citizens living in the UK.

It was utterly scandalous that these people who lived here and worked and paid taxes in many cases for most of their adult lives, were completely disenfranchised - unable to vote in the referendum.

It now looks as if this was a serious underestimate of the number of those people, most of whom would have wanted the UK to Remain in the EU.

MaizieD Thu 03-Jun-21 13:53:58

MawBe

^Many EU nationals wanting to visit the UK as tourists have now been held in detention centres. It seems the hostile environment policy is working well.^

Can you provide evidence for this Greta apart from the Covid based restrictions on entry into the U.K. from other countries. Let’s not conflate Brexit and Covid.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/27/eu-tourists-condemn-uk-border-officials-humiliating-treatment

www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1444283/Brexit-news-Italy-EU-nationals-detained-UK-border-officials-latest-update

GillT57 Thu 03-Jun-21 13:55:39

Lin52, some of us are very unhappy about Brexit and although there is little likelihood of changing the result, this does not stop us from pointing out that problems have been caused for people, even if everything is wonderful in your world. Your comments about buying jewellery, or anything else for that matter, only from UK, are silly and irrelevant, the last time I looked we were free to buy what we want from where we want.

varian Thu 03-Jun-21 13:56:24

The Centre for European Reform estimates that leaving the single market and customs union had reduced UK trade by 11 per cent in March 2021. That is on top of a 10 per cent hit to trade between the referendum and leaving the single market.

www.cer.eu/insights/cost-brexit-march-2021

Let's just remind ourselves that voters were assured by Daniel Hannan (now promoted to the House of Lords for his contribution to brexit) that "No-one is talking about leaving the single market. Many were therefore conned into voting Leave because of that lie.

Welshwife Thu 03-Jun-21 14:40:34

Just remind me how long those who voted against joining the EU kept on about it? About 40 years I believe and during that time they fed the British public false stories - as per the person now residing in number 10!
I feel free to continue complaining till the day I die!
France has made it very easy for people who have been living here five years or more to obtain residency cards and all free despite the fact that it has obviously cost money employing people to do this work. For most people it has been a question of filling in a form and uploading copies of three pieces of paper, then going to give fingerprints and answer a couple of questions.
USA has my fingerprints and also photographs of my eyes and I was only going to visit family not applying to live there.

Ellianne Thu 03-Jun-21 17:11:43

Yes, Greta, the technology was the problem for our EU relative to register for settled status, but the procedures worked fine doing it on mine.
I am concerned that some posters are saying it cost hundreds of pounds to do. It was actually free and didn't cost anything. I hope there aren't scans around to take money off people illegally.

Fennel Thu 03-Jun-21 17:50:13

I asked our Romanian cleaning lady about this today and she said their 'Ambassador' had sorted it out for her and her family. and she has all the correct documents.
We have conversations like this on an App on her phone.

Ellianne Thu 03-Jun-21 17:52:56

Oops scams not scans.

growstuff Thu 03-Jun-21 18:19:08

Ellianne

Yes, Greta, the technology was the problem for our EU relative to register for settled status, but the procedures worked fine doing it on mine.
I am concerned that some posters are saying it cost hundreds of pounds to do. It was actually free and didn't cost anything. I hope there aren't scans around to take money off people illegally.

Does this relative have indefinite leave to remain in the UK? Does he/she have to pay the immigration health surcharge?

Talullah Thu 03-Jun-21 18:27:22

Just remind me how long those who voted against joining the EU kept on about it? About 40 years I believe and during that time they fed the British public false stories - as per the person now residing in number 10!

Welshwife*, that is a very good point. My father was always against us joining the Common Market as it was called back in the 70s. Over the years we've had many Eurosceptics, the main one I remember is Bill Cash. He campaigned for decades.

So yes, there has always been people complaining and wanting to leave. But many people seem to believe that Brexit was only voted for by people who had believed the bus debacle and other promises.

Ellianne Thu 03-Jun-21 19:07:50

Does this relative have indefinite leave to remain in the UK? Does he/she have to pay the immigration health surcharge?

They married a British citizen and had a letter from the Home Office over 30 years ago to say they had permanent residence in the UK. They worked in the NHS.
Their mistake, if you can call it that, was not too apply for dual nationality from the start.
They've done what is required now, so hopefully no further issues.

MaizieD Thu 03-Jun-21 19:13:20

So yes, there has always been people complaining and wanting to leave. But many people seem to believe that Brexit was only voted for by people who had believed the bus debacle and other promises.

The number of people wanting to leave in the decade pre 2015 was generally small. Apart from a bit of a spike round about the Lisbon Treaty fewer than 10% of people polled post 2000, have thought that the EU was a significant problem.

varian Thu 03-Jun-21 19:55:08

But for a week or less in 2016 , thanks to an unholy alliance of Rupert Murdoch and the other proprietors of the right wimg press, numerous tax dodging billionaires and Vladimit Putin, 17 million of the most guillible Brits were conned into voting against the best interests of the UK.

GillT57 Thu 03-Jun-21 20:00:50

And more chillingly, just after the vote, the biggest search on Google was 'what is the EU?'.

vegansrock Thu 03-Jun-21 20:24:09

grannygravy so you think it is ok for a young Italian woman to be locked up for 48 hours, no phone allowed for having the temerity to come and help look after her NHS doctor’s brothers children. If she made an understandable mistake with the new paperwork, that seems unnecessarily harsh and could have been sorted out without such hostility, instead it has caused a scandal in the Italian and French press about the nastiness of the British, and many people are now fearful of visiting relatives.

romaroot Wed 09-Jun-21 18:32:39

It saddens me to see what has happened to many of those returning, especially Roma in Slovakia, Bulgaria, and Romania.
They are without basic essentials of water and sanitation and have been locked into their little villages.
If anyone is interested there are clips on youtube.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 09-Jun-21 18:37:14

vegansrock

grannygravy so you think it is ok for a young Italian woman to be locked up for 48 hours, no phone allowed for having the temerity to come and help look after her NHS doctor’s brothers children. If she made an understandable mistake with the new paperwork, that seems unnecessarily harsh and could have been sorted out without such hostility, instead it has caused a scandal in the Italian and French press about the nastiness of the British, and many people are now fearful of visiting relatives.

Where did I say it was OK?

Deedaa Wed 09-Jun-21 18:58:11

The fact that a decision by 4% of the people who voted has caused so much damage to this country will keep me bitter for a very long time.

sodapop Wed 09-Jun-21 19:15:22

Bit sweeping to condemn a whole country and its people Lin52 There are small minded and racist people everywhere I think.

Greta Wed 09-Jun-21 19:27:10

There was a news item on channel 4 the other night about the difficulties some EU nationals have experienced when trying to prove their status. They had applied for and obtained settled status but could not access their status on the database.

No physical document is issued to prove settled status, just a digital code. If employers, banks, landlords etc want to check that settled status has been granted
glitches in the system can make this difficult.

I wrote to my MP several months ago and expressed my dissatisfaction that I have no paper evidence to prove my settled status. She hasn't graced me with a reply as yet.

www.channel4.com/news/brexit-eu-citizens-in-uk-worried-about-their-futures

Lin52 Wed 09-Jun-21 19:34:18

Have read on DW and de.local, the EU are saying the same to British citizens who want to stay in Germany same for Spain, Holland etc. So not just the UK, as much as this author would like you to believe.

Kali2 Wed 09-Jun-21 21:47:34

At least in the EU, British citizens who have registered properly are getting full documentation and official cards and proof. In the UK, they get nothing- nothing they can show for jobs, at the border, etc. If as in the Windrush disaster, there is a break-down in the IT system- or records are 'accidentally' wiped, they will have NOTHING to show for it.

Having said that, I have zero sympathy for those who are unable to register or get into the system, + health cover, etc, because they have been living under the radar- not paying tay anywhere and abusing the NHS at will, returning to use NHS illegally as and when it suited them.

They will have to return with nothing, and need social housing and increasing health care as they are older now. In some communities, the effect could be very significant.

Ellianne Tue 06-Jul-21 18:10:57

Our EU relative received her official settled status yesterday just a month after applying.
Super fast and efficient process. She doesn't need to carry a card or anything because the details are online and all linked to her passport. All very simple.

Greta Tue 06-Jul-21 19:24:05

Elianne, the Home Office has made the settled status application process simple for itself and for some applicants. Is your relative happy that she has no physical proof of her settled status? You say ”She doesn't need to carry a card or anything...” Well, why should she have to carry a card? I can't imagine many Brits carry their birth certificates around with them. I certainly don't trust the Home Office to keep all registrations safe. What happens if their database is hacked, if entries are deleted by mistake? They recently confirmed that the records of more than 15,000 people were accidentally deleted from the Police National Computer.

I suppose your relative is aware that she must contact the Home Office whenever any changes in her circumstances occur and every time she gets a new passport. EU nationals are not as settled as the Home Office would have us believe.

lemongrove Tue 06-Jul-21 21:45:29

The OP is simply yet another tedious assertion that we should have stayed in the EU...dressed up as concern that EU citizens living here couldn't vote to easily continue living here.
However, since the majority have successfully had claims approved there are only a small percentage left who haven't put in yet for settled status.

growstuff Tue 06-Jul-21 22:41:18

I remember the "concern" about the exploitation of EU citizens (especially from the East) doing low-paid work. It was one of the so-called justifications for Brexit.

You're probably right lemongrove ... people didn't really care about others then either ... it was all a big sham.