Gransnet forums

News & politics

EU citizens in the UK

(68 Posts)
varian Wed 02-Jun-21 19:51:24

More than 5.2 million EU citizens living in the UK have so far applied for settled status. Since the referendum of 2016, many EU citizens have left the UK.

At the time of the referendum we were told that there were about 3,5million EU citizens living in the UK.

It was utterly scandalous that these people who lived here and worked and paid taxes in many cases for most of their adult lives, were completely disenfranchised - unable to vote in the referendum.

It now looks as if this was a serious underestimate of the number of those people, most of whom would have wanted the UK to Remain in the EU.

Kali2 Tue 06-Jul-21 22:43:42

JenniferEccles ''Please, please, we have left the EU. Finally completely, permanently (hopefully).

How long is all this pointless bitterness about the result going to last?''

could you please re-read the OP and tell me the connection? The fact we have left the EU does not mean our Government can renege totally on the promises made during the run up to the Referendum. There are ways and ways - and Brexit does NOT mean our Government can now treat EU citizens in the UK in this despicable manner. Does it?

Dinahmo Wed 07-Jul-21 14:46:20

My OH and I applied for residency in France earlier this year. It wasn't difficult, nor particularly time consuming. It may have been a problem for those who aren't very computer literate because we had to download and then attach some documents - 3.

We then received an email with the appointment for our fingerprints and a few weeks later the documents arrived. We paid nothing.

NotSpaghetti Wed 07-Jul-21 18:45:01

I think the Brexit result will be a quiet sadness to me till I die.

Yes, I'm accepting of it. But I accept it in the way that I accept I'm full of aches some days, often in pain and there are things I can't do anymore...

I don't think that means I'm pointlessly bitter or full of resentment JenniferEccles.

No, I am getting on with life as it is.

But it certainly doesn't mean I ought to shut up and embrace it!

varian Wed 07-Jul-21 18:51:40

I have often wondered how many divorced people who initiated the divorce live to regret it.

NotSpaghetti Wed 07-Jul-21 18:57:36

Some actually re-marry varian
?
Hope yet!
grin

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 07-Jul-21 20:00:04

Well, I’m still bitter about the whole Brexit debacle. I still think it should have been two thirds vote, as happened with the Women Bishop vote. I worry for my children and grandchildren for their lost opportunities. In my opinion this country is turning into a bigoted and unhappy place. We are a laughing stock.

lemongrove Wed 07-Jul-21 21:23:32

We are not treating EU citizens in a despicable manner Kali
And millions have successfully applied and been granted settled status. It may take an effort to do it, but the fact that so many have already done so shows it can be done.

Kamiso Wed 07-Jul-21 21:51:04

Ladyleftfieldlover

Well, I’m still bitter about the whole Brexit debacle. I still think it should have been two thirds vote, as happened with the Women Bishop vote. I worry for my children and grandchildren for their lost opportunities. In my opinion this country is turning into a bigoted and unhappy place. We are a laughing stock.

Please speak for yourself. “We” are a laughing stock. You may be but I certainly don’t concern myself with what others think about me. Especially those who are bitter because they will have to pay their own way in future and can’t sponge off the U.K. any longer.

Some people believe all the nonsense being spouted by those who only believe in democracy when it goes the way they, arrogantly, think it should. Still, keep it up. Insulting people who didn’t vote as you think they should will keep you out of power indefinitely.

Deedaa Wed 07-Jul-21 22:18:10

Kamiso I can only think that you do not have much to do with people in other countries because I can assure you we are a laughing stock in the rest of the world. People cannot understand why we have removed ourselves from our largest and nearest market while decimating our fishing and farming industries and rejoicing over deals with the likes of Fiji' We have the most inept and corrupt government in Europe and look like being stuck with them for ever. Bitter? Of course I'm bloody bitter!

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 10-Jul-21 17:43:39

Deedaa

Kamiso I can only think that you do not have much to do with people in other countries because I can assure you we are a laughing stock in the rest of the world. People cannot understand why we have removed ourselves from our largest and nearest market while decimating our fishing and farming industries and rejoicing over deals with the likes of Fiji' We have the most inept and corrupt government in Europe and look like being stuck with them for ever. Bitter? Of course I'm bloody bitter!

Absolutely, Deedaa!

Cold Sat 10-Jul-21 23:41:38

Oopsadaisy1

Well 5.2 million EU citizens have decided that they prefer the U.K. out of the EU and want to live here.

So, I don’t really get what your point is.

It’s a pity that the EU aren’t treating our U.K. citizens in the same way.

No - many of the EU countries are treating UK citizens much better than the UK is treating EU citizens. Often the decisions are faster and the cost less.

I think it is because in some countries the tax office and immigration department automatically register your right to remain on arrival. You cannot get a personal registration number without it and the Local Authority you are registered in determines your income taxes, healthcare costs etc

I applied to become a dual citizen in Sweden and my application was processed within 12 days and cost £135 (I have heard of people paying thousands in the UK).

I got my letter and went to the Police station where there is a passport unit and applied for my passport, they took the photos and everything and it cost £30 -

timetogo2016 Sun 11-Jul-21 09:54:37

I agree JenniferEccles no need to add anything more.

Greta Sun 11-Jul-21 13:01:59

Timetogo2016 : ”I agree JenniferEccles no need to add anything more”.

I'm afraid there will be a lot of things to add. Covid has masked many problems. EU nationals haven't travelled abroad to the extent they would normally have done. They haven't looked for work, accommodation etc. But if you are never going to need to prove your 'status' you can just dismiss it all because as you say ”no need to add anything more”. It seems to me many people really do believe Brexit is done and dusted and there will not be consequences.

varian Sun 11-Jul-21 19:24:57

The readers of the right wing press - ie 80% of newspaper readers are never going to be told the truth about the disastrous effects of brexit because that does not suit the agenda of their tax exile billionaire propritors.

nanna8 Mon 12-Jul-21 01:22:06

I didn’t like the comment about Fiji. It is a lovely country, lovely happy people unlike some I could think of.

vegansrock Mon 12-Jul-21 05:28:40

Nothing wrong withFiji, I’m sure it’s a lovely place, but it’s not the same as the worlds biggest trading bloc. It was just used as an example of the scrabbling around we are having to do as a result on this inept government. Now talking about joining the Asian trading bloc - will we get a referendum on whether we want to join that?

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 12-Jul-21 08:17:56

2016 was the year it all began to hit the fan. trump was elected and even though he is no longer POTUS, the USA is heading down a very difficult sticky road and democracy is in peril. Brexit won’t work. The Leavers lied and now we are in a pretty bad place. We are having to create trade deals all over the plac e - whatever happened to carbon footprints. Some would say we’ve blown it. I truly hope not. But until and unless the Government admits the truth of what a diabolical mess they’ve made, then who knows.