Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who gives a t*ss?

(256 Posts)
MaizieD Fri 04-Jun-21 13:00:54

Alistair Campbell identifies a new political divide. After listing all the traditional 'divides', and finding that they don't seem to apply these days, he comes to this conclusion:

Given all that we know about the afore-mentioned incompetent, morally corrupt, shape-shifting, truth-twisting, manifesto-promise-breaking, rule-smashing, gaslighting government full of right wing rogues and anything-for-power charlatans, I have concluded with sadness that the new dividing line in British political debate is this: Giving a toss v not giving a toss.

If you don’t think it is important that the prime minister is a proven and brazen liar, you really don’t give a toss about whether our democratic systems work or not.

If you think it is OK that the same prime minister lies not only to parliament but to the Queen, and acts as judge and jury on the code designed to prevent misconduct of ministers, then you have gone into full-scale not giving a tossery about standards in public life.

If you work up sufficient rage to tweet angrily about Meghan Markle but are cool with 128,000 Covid dead, and willing to dismiss any and all suggestion that Johnson did not take the virus seriously, or was too busy sorting out his private life to focus on it, or was finishing a book to recoup the advance because he doesn’t see how anyone can survive unless on at least ten times the national average salary, then you are so far gone into the Land of Not Giving a Toss because ‘Boris is a character and Starmer’s a bit boring’ that you may as well not bother having a passport to come back.

If you are so becalmed as not to be bothered that the Indian variant which may yet threaten further freedom was ushered in by Johnson not taking control of borders, and by his doing everything possible to go on his Global Britain fantasy trip to see Modi, but happy the passport you can’t use is blue not burgundy, then I hope you enjoy its stamp-free pages.

If you are a journalist who cares about truth, but who does not pursue it with vigour when it comes to the words or deeds of the prime minister and his cabinet, I’m afraid your lethargy, and the ease with which you take proprietorial orders or a Number 10 line, moves you from giving a toss to not giving a toss. You are the Fifth Column for the Not Giving A Tossers.

Cummings may be a narcissist who, as his evidence showed, sees himself as the star of a never-ending goodies v baddies superhero movie. He may be a total hypocrite in helping to install in Number 10 someone he thought then and thinks even more now was unfit for the role. So Cummings is and always will be a villain, no matter how many times he rewrites the script. But the picture he painted of utter deathly dysfunction created by Johnson’s chaotic and immoral character rang all too true for anyone who has known him at any stage of his remarkable rise to power.

The Tory MPs who elected him knew it. They, therefore, qualify as fully-fledged Don’t Give A Tossers, provided they have the letters MP after their names.

Bearing in mind GG13's frequent assertion that the man or woman in the street is just interested in getting on with their lives I think that Campbell has a point. I know that many people echo his frustration.

Naturally others might disagree...

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/where-is-the-rage-against-government-incompetence-8015778

P.S The Gnet swear filter must be on. It refused to post this with its original title. Removing one letter made it OK...

Kamiso Fri 04-Jun-21 13:05:33

Are you referring to Campbell who helped take us into the war about non existent weapons of mass destruction? The one who forged a mortgage application?

greenlady102 Fri 04-Jun-21 13:14:28

First of all that is not an unbiased publication. Second of all (I will try to find the link) The Queen took private legal advice about Boris' request to prorogue Parliament and was told that the request was legal.
And oh look who owns the magazine and the website! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alastair_Campbell

EllanVannin Fri 04-Jun-21 13:21:33

He's " poorly" isn't he ??

Galaxy Fri 04-Jun-21 13:31:09

What does that mean Ellan.

Polarbear2 Fri 04-Jun-21 13:49:20

Good for him. Personally I do give a toss. I know lots who don’t though - sadly

lemongrove Fri 04-Jun-21 14:01:53

Ah, the ever angry Alistair Campbell. The special advisor who took the words ‘spin doctor’ to a whole new level back then.
He isn’t a happy person and spends a lot of time venting.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 04-Jun-21 14:10:23

I cannot forgive Alastair Campbell for sexing-up the weapons of mass destruction document.

He is a liar and a complete charlatan with an axe to grind.

I am sorry but it says a lot about the anti-government supporters if they continuously wheel out has beens.

lemongrove Fri 04-Jun-21 14:13:46

Wheel out has bins perhaps GG?

Chestnut Fri 04-Jun-21 14:17:10

The words pot, kettle and black come to mind. He is no better than any of them.

Spinnaker Fri 04-Jun-21 14:22:52

It takes a toss*r to know what a toss is wink

Beckett Fri 04-Jun-21 14:24:31

It seems if an article is anti-government, no matter who the person was and how unreliable they have proved in the past some GNs would give them their wholehearted support. Perhaps Meghan Markle should write an anti-Boris article - that could win her some support!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 04-Jun-21 14:29:48

YouGov poll puts the Conservatives 16 points ahead 02-03 June.

(Conservatives 46%. Labour 30%)

lemsip Fri 04-Jun-21 14:41:46

I'm lazy so seldom bother to read an OP that is so long especially if political. Just saying

eazybee Fri 04-Jun-21 14:44:26

Alistair Campbell wrote this?
grin

Doodledog Fri 04-Jun-21 14:52:23

He missed the people who can't be bothered to make a relevant point on the subject of any debate, but instead resort to the ultimate DGAT signifier - whataboutery.

Yes, I give a toss, and I particularly care about the way in which it is becoming more and more difficult to tell the difference between lies and truth before votes have been cast and it is too late to do anything about them.

luluaugust Fri 04-Jun-21 14:55:36

Gosh Boris must be doing a good job grin

growstuff Fri 04-Jun-21 14:56:10

greenlady102

First of all that is not an unbiased publication. Second of all (I will try to find the link) The Queen took private legal advice about Boris' request to prorogue Parliament and was told that the request was legal.
And oh look who owns the magazine and the website! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alastair_Campbell

Give in! Who owns which magazine and website?

growstuff Fri 04-Jun-21 14:57:21

luluaugust

Gosh Boris must be doing a good job grin

The perception of whether he's doing a good job probably depends whether one is a tosser or not.

growstuff Fri 04-Jun-21 15:01:48

I wonder if Alastair Campbell has been taking a sneaky look at GN.

Lucca Fri 04-Jun-21 15:02:02

lemongrove

Ah, the ever angry Alistair Campbell. The special advisor who took the words ‘spin doctor’ to a whole new level back then.
He isn’t a happy person and spends a lot of time venting.

But....what about this article ?

Hits so many nails on the head.

Lucca Fri 04-Jun-21 15:03:13

lemsip

I'm lazy so seldom bother to read an OP that is so long especially if political. Just saying

Yet you comment. The post/article is well worth reading.

greenlady102 Fri 04-Jun-21 15:04:26

growstuff

greenlady102

d'uh....Alistair Campbell

growstuff Fri 04-Jun-21 15:04:54

Such considerations don't appear to matter these days Lucca.

I wonder if Johnson's mistakes and misdemeanours should be wheeled out every time he opens his mouth.

growstuff Fri 04-Jun-21 15:05:27

greenlady102

growstuff

greenlady102

d'uh....Alistair Campbell

Where does Wiki say he owns the New European?