Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit, Polls have turned, not just one, but all of them, but one

(354 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Kali2 Mon 07-Jun-21 09:55:04

And this over a long period of time now. This year only, we are at 74 to 1.

The Labour Party have asked me to embrace Brexit. I can certainly accept that it has happened, but I will never ever embrace it.

Callistemon Mon 07-Jun-21 14:02:05

However, it would seem that 90% of the polls taken over the last 4 years show people would have preferred to Remain and only 3% preferred Leave.

Polls are not necessarily always representative of the general view; they are entirely dependent on the samples polled.

It's a sad indictment that many people who supported Remain didn't bother to turn out and vote.

Exactly. Dinahmo. I have been saying that for a long time.

It is sad that Remainers were complacent enough to think it would never happen and therefore didn't vote.
However, blame is destructive and we need to be constructive now.

It's no good blaming people who exercised their franchise and voted to leave.
It's no good looking back either and whingeing crying constantly about what happened.

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade".

PippaZ Mon 07-Jun-21 14:04:53

MawBe

Just saying it is easy to be wise after the event.

How do you make that out. Those who said it was going to be a mess, and not in the countries and it's citizens interests, said it before the event. And others screamed and shouted at them.

I see you are ready to repeat the performance.

Callistemon Mon 07-Jun-21 14:05:37

I don't know or care where you live- and where I live is for me, and me alone to know and is utterly irrelevant.

I don't know or care where you live Kali2 and for all I know you could have several homes in different countries.

However, it is not utterly irrelevant as people who live in some countries may be totally unaffected by Brexit.
I was going to give Australia as an example but no, not a good one as - joy! - Australian farmers may find that the British want even more of their produce in future.

Chestnut Mon 07-Jun-21 14:06:28

The British public have changed direction on many occasions according to what is happening at the moment. At the moment Brexit is in a crossover period and we are still in the process of leaving. We knew from the start there would be problems and challenges, and that things might be worse for a while until issues were resolved. It is not possible to evaluate the long term effect of Brexit at this moment in time, but at this stage some people are probably being inconvenienced and annoyed by recent changes and consequently think it's all doom and gloom. That is enough to make many people feel differently in the short term.
We need to fasten our safety belts and keep going. In a couple of years everything will have settled down and we will see where we are then.

PippaZ Mon 07-Jun-21 14:07:39

But it is done and now we are all going to have to find some way to pick up the pieces which include the "WW" screamers stoping their chants and getting on with it too. I don't think it's ever been worth cheering a pyrrhic victory.

Callistemon Mon 07-Jun-21 14:09:39

How do you make that out. Those who said it was going to be a mess, and not in the countries and it's citizens interests, said it before the event.
We had two different sides of the Tory Party, one urging remain and the other stay, we had a Brexiteer leader of the Labour Party ineffectually pretending that we should stay and we had the Lib Dems whom many voters ignored as irrelevant, particularly after their coalition made many doubt their policies.

lemongrove Mon 07-Jun-21 14:11:16

Kali I am sure that I read it somewhere on GN that you live in France, if this is wrong and you actually live in the UK just say so? Of course nobody has to say what country they live in but have never come across a poster who minds saying which country they live in.....why would they? Hardly giving much away is it?
It is relevant because if you were living in France then you are still in the EU, so why be constantly upset about the UK leaving the bloc.
Either way, it’s not good to get worked up about it, it’s happened.

Callistemon Mon 07-Jun-21 14:12:55

PippaZ

But it is done and now we are all going to have to find some way to pick up the pieces which include the "WW" screamers stoping their chants and getting on with it too. I don't think it's ever been worth cheering a pyrrhic victory.

I agree

"WW" screamers
What are they? confused
Woeful Whingers?

MawBe Mon 07-Jun-21 14:13:30

PippaZ

MawBe

Just saying it is easy to be wise after the event.

How do you make that out. Those who said it was going to be a mess, and not in the countries and it's citizens interests, said it before the event. And others screamed and shouted at them.

I see you are ready to repeat the performance.

Excuse me? It is a well known fact that it is easy to be “wise after the event” AKA with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.
As for repeating the performance I didn’t (re) start this and I have certainly never shouted and screamed.
I supported the Remain lobby but with the exception of Ruth Davidson, saw opportunity after opportunity missed in the campaign which was characterised by smug complacency throughout.
As an adult you often have to live with the consequences of wrong outcomes, whether by your own decision or the majority decision of others. And yes, I have been affected too or at least family members in the Arts have, but the challenge is to make it work not to take refuge in wailing and the gnashing of teeth.

Callistemon Mon 07-Jun-21 14:22:00

Just to clarify:

This is the part of your post I agreed with PippaZ:
But it is done and now we are all going to have to find some way to pick up the pieces
But it is done and now we are all going to have to find some way to pick up the pieces

Why is it that, if anyone is pragmatic and realises that there is no point in shouting or screaming after the decision has been made, they are assumed to have voted Leave?

lemongrove Mon 07-Jun-21 14:25:20

What are WW screamers.....is this a new fad? Are they like rocket balloons? If so I shall buy some for the DGC.

greenlady102 Mon 07-Jun-21 14:30:50

Welshwife

You need to go back to the fact that the referendum was advisory and there are rules about referendums - the percentage voting and percentage of the win needed - the reason why Eire needed to have two referendums to pass the Maastricht Treaty. The in/out referendum nowhere near followed the rules but it was forced through and as Farage said beforehand a 52/48 result was unfinished business - oh I forgot - that was only if he lost!
Why would anyone think that this could not be reversed at some time? Laws in Britain have been repealed in the past and can be done again.
Those who believe we should have stayed in the EU have at least another 35 years of belly aching before equalling that which went on by those who never wanted to join!

the brexit referendum followed the Uk rules for such things. Ie majority wins....same as general elections.
I actually voted remain for my own reasons but I also voted in th3 first referendum which was NOT about a federal europe or about many other things which happened afterwards but was simply about trading agreements.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum#Referendum_question

MawBe Mon 07-Jun-21 14:47:54

Where on earth have I mentionned I live in France? This is one of the many suggestions made about where I live- which is preposterous. I don't know or care where you live- and where I live is for me, and me alone to know and is utterly irrelevant

Please show me the GN rules which require posters to give private information on their private life
It is indeed supremely irrelevant even a red herring so why make a thing of it instead of focusing on the argument of your OP?
Although continuing to spell "mentionned" à la francaise might have given someone the idea that it might be your first language.
Most of us are happy enough to indicate which end of the country - and indeed which country- we live in on the Good Morning thread without compromising anonymity. It really presents no problem - we even have a thread about the international membership of GN!

PippaZ Mon 07-Jun-21 14:49:24

Callistemon

^How do you make that out. Those who said it was going to be a mess, and not in the countries and it's citizens interests, said it before the event.^
We had two different sides of the Tory Party, one urging remain and the other stay, we had a Brexiteer leader of the Labour Party ineffectually pretending that we should stay and we had the Lib Dems whom many voters ignored as irrelevant, particularly after their coalition made many doubt their policies.

So what. We are all voters in our own right and held our own opinions and few are members of political parties (it was down to 1.3% of the electorate in by 2005 and they seem to have stopped telling us after that).

No one has "won" and the outcome is inflicting such a devastating toll that it is worse than any defeat would have been. If they eventually make a success out of the mess it will be down to the generations that come after, not us.

PippaZ Mon 07-Jun-21 14:52:27

Callistemon

Just to clarify:

Why is it that, if anyone is pragmatic and realises that there is no point in shouting or screaming after the decision has been made, they are assumed to have voted Leave?

I voted remain - but pragmatism is the thing that will save us from this mess. I'm not sure if that is what you meant?

Alegrias1 Mon 07-Jun-21 15:26:00

Chestnut

The British public have changed direction on many occasions according to what is happening at the moment. At the moment Brexit is in a crossover period and we are still in the process of leaving. We knew from the start there would be problems and challenges, and that things might be worse for a while until issues were resolved. It is not possible to evaluate the long term effect of Brexit at this moment in time, but at this stage some people are probably being inconvenienced and annoyed by recent changes and consequently think it's all doom and gloom. That is enough to make many people feel differently in the short term.
We need to fasten our safety belts and keep going. In a couple of years everything will have settled down and we will see where we are then.

Up Sh** Creek. That's where we'll be.

Alegrias1 Mon 07-Jun-21 15:28:12

the brexit referendum followed the Uk rules for such things. Ie majority wins....same as general elections.

Most people (i.e. a majority) didn't vote Tory in 2019. And yet....

Welshwife Mon 07-Jun-21 15:50:38

No - the U.K. did NOT follow the rules! For a referendum there should be something like a 70% turnout and the result should be at least a 60/40 split - that was achieved in the 1975 vote.
No referendum is binding either - it is just a way of showing how people feel.
Lies were published as the newspaper magnates were protecting their fortunes from tax.
Cameron was a total wimp and ran away when he should have remained strong and actually found out what sort of deal he could get. The EU had given him almost everything he asked for when he went to them - no joining any EU army there might be in the future - continuation of having Sterling etc. The newspapers made no big headlines about this as it was not in their interests to do so.
And for those who think that Brexit has not affected those living in the EU - you are very much mistaken - it impinges on many aspects of life. The European countries have been very good and relaxed about giving British citizens already in their countries residency rights which is more than can be said about the U.K. which is treating many Europeans disgracefully. I am referring here to people who have lived most of their lives in U.K. and now have families there - not recent arrivals.

Kali2 Mon 07-Jun-21 16:05:10

OMG, and now we have the spelling brigade on- because of course no-one on GN ever makes spelling mistakes. Blimey!

Agreed, it makes no difference- so why are several of you, thread on thread, making assumptions about where I live. It is indeed totally irrelevant- so why do you do it?

Argue, discuss, debate the issue or topic - nought to do with the poster and their place of birth, abode, religion, skin colour, or size of underpants.

Dinahmo Mon 07-Jun-21 16:06:41

lemongrove

Kali I am sure that I read it somewhere on GN that you live in France, if this is wrong and you actually live in the UK just say so? Of course nobody has to say what country they live in but have never come across a poster who minds saying which country they live in.....why would they? Hardly giving much away is it?
It is relevant because if you were living in France then you are still in the EU, so why be constantly upset about the UK leaving the bloc.
Either way, it’s not good to get worked up about it, it’s happened.

Are you mistaking Kali with me? I have often mentioned that I live in France.

In any event, I get cross about the UK leaving the EU. It's becoming increasing obvious that it's not going to well, certainly for business. I have complained before about not being able to buy stuff from the UK anymore. Not because I'm not able to get things but because it is a sign that the Brits can't, or won't export.

One thing that appears to be a Brexit benefit - because of the difficulty in getting labour, companies are having to increase their pay rates. So, after many years of large companies, such as supermarkets, being subsidised by the taxpayer, they re going to have to increase their staffs' wages.

In case you don't know what I mean by taxpayer subsidies - it's benefits for low paid workers.

MaizieD Mon 07-Jun-21 16:11:17

I grant that we have to make the best of what we have now, but, contrary to what people are asserting here, Brexit is not irrevocable. We haven't seen the worst of it yet because the UK border arrangements haven't yet come into play. It will be worse when they do. I think that within a few years there will be at least a movement towards rejoining the Single Market, because it makes more sense than trying to do lots of little trade deals with countries all over the globe.

And by that time I suspect that people will have discovered that sovereignty doesn't fill their purses or their bellies.

MawBe Mon 07-Jun-21 16:12:27

Nobody said it was a mistake - calm down - it’s like hôtel for hotel- just a little bit French - or possibly a French spellchecker on a device.
No big deal- pas de problème smile

PippaZ Mon 07-Jun-21 16:22:02

It would never be reverse Brexit though, Maizie. You could be right about a movement towards the single market (which might turn out to suit a real majority, you never know) but we would never get the terms we had and we would always be left with the sour taste of how this (Brexit) was done.

Callistemon Mon 07-Jun-21 17:56:28

PippaZ

Callistemon

Just to clarify:

I voted remain - but pragmatism is the thing that will save us from this mess. I'm not sure if that is what you meant?

Yes.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 07-Jun-21 18:07:37

lemon

What is it with your obsession with people living France. This is quite a few times that I’ve seen you ask that question of one particular poster.

Careful or it will seem like stalking?