Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit, Polls have turned, not just one, but all of them, but one

(353 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Kali2 Mon 07-Jun-21 09:55:04

And this over a long period of time now. This year only, we are at 74 to 1.

The Labour Party have asked me to embrace Brexit. I can certainly accept that it has happened, but I will never ever embrace it.

Kali2 Mon 07-Jun-21 09:55:23

www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/britain-has-turned-against-brexit-biggest-ever-poll-of-polls-says-163420/#.YLy0YPPt0G8.facebook

Kali2 Mon 07-Jun-21 09:57:30

''Britain has turned against Brexit, according to the biggest ever poll of polls.

YouGov analysis for the Evening Standard shows that 204 out of 226 polls since July 2017 have shown Remain ahead, with just seven for Leave, and 15 ties.

So far this year, just one poll has put Leave ahead, compared to 74 for staying in the EU.''

Now I accept polls can be wrong, but the figures above are very clear as so cumulative over a long period of time.

Blossoming Mon 07-Jun-21 10:00:23

It’s already happened, bit late arguing about it now.

Polarbear2 Mon 07-Jun-21 10:02:40

? with you there. I think/hope we’ll go back to the single market at some point. It’ll solve so many issues and reopen the borders again for free travel. I think it’s been proved now that countries can open and close borders as they wish and as they need, whether in EU or not. I understand - don’t agree with but understand - why a lot of people voted out but I think the experiment has largely failed and a lot now see it was a bad decision.

MawBe Mon 07-Jun-21 10:32:50

Stable door - bolted - horse - after - closing ?

MawBe Mon 07-Jun-21 10:35:26

Just saying it is easy to be wise after the event.

Talullah Mon 07-Jun-21 10:35:32

As has been pointed out, so what? We certainly won't be going back into the EU. Pointless doing surveys abut this.

maddyone Mon 07-Jun-21 10:48:15

I haven’t seen/heard about any of these polls.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 07-Jun-21 10:48:47

MawBe

We were wise before the event. If you took part in the debate, everything that has/is happening was foreseen.

I am quite sure that we will eventually be part of the single market again. The EU is such a big economic block as is the USA and China. We, as a single entity, will find that we have very little power to influence. You only have to look at th3 Australian deal to understand what a weak position we are now in.

Granny23 Mon 07-Jun-21 10:48:57

We certainly won't be going back into the EU Who is the "We" in this statement? As an Independence supporting Scot, I fully expect that some time (I hope soon) Scotland will be rejoining the EU.

Chewbacca Mon 07-Jun-21 10:49:38

If as much research and soul searching had gone into this before the referendum, as there has been after it, we wouldn't be in the situation we're in now. Doing a poll 5 years after the fact is rather a pointless excercise.

Alegrias1 Mon 07-Jun-21 10:50:21

Granny23 ?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 07-Jun-21 10:51:54

Granny23

*We certainly won't be going back into the EU* Who is the "We" in this statement? As an Independence supporting Scot, I fully expect that some time (I hope soon) Scotland will be rejoining the EU.

We all will eventually.

Don’t forget that covid is masking a lot of the problems.

There is now a world shortage of labour, and it is exacerbated in the U.K. by Brexit.

Businesses will have to pay far more (some suggest double in some industries) making everything more expensive and less profitable.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 07-Jun-21 10:52:25

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Alegrias1 Mon 07-Jun-21 10:53:16

Chewbacca

If as much research and soul searching had gone into this before the referendum, as there has been after it, we wouldn't be in the situation we're in now. Doing a poll 5 years after the fact is rather a pointless excercise.

I can't agree with that Chewbacca, it is still necessary to understand the mood of the nation.

That and the fact that this is a meta-analysis of 226 different polls over the period 2017 to 2021.

MawBe Mon 07-Jun-21 10:57:00

We were wise before the event. If you took part in the debate, everything that has/is happening was foreseen

I hope you are not insinuating that I didn’t. hmm ?
A decision was made based on a referendum which many may regret as a format of political decision making, but you can’t just keep whingeing and asking the same question over and over until you get the answer you want.

GillT57 Mon 07-Jun-21 11:04:45

Nobody is whingeing, but many of us read the reports before the referendum, listened to the warnings, and now can see it happening, albeit masked by covid19 events. I hope that eventually we will return to some sort of trading agreement with the EU which will also involve free movement.

MawBe Mon 07-Jun-21 11:06:33

You may not be Gill - but some are!

Chewbacca Mon 07-Jun-21 11:10:32

We’re you asleep in the lead up to the referendum?

Are you always so rude and bad mannered Whitewavemark2 or do you save it up until you're safely behind a keyboard? For someone who likes to pride themselves on being able to conduct a debate, you're remarkably well equipped to shut down discussion. Check your manners.

Welshwife Mon 07-Jun-21 11:11:17

You need to go back to the fact that the referendum was advisory and there are rules about referendums - the percentage voting and percentage of the win needed - the reason why Eire needed to have two referendums to pass the Maastricht Treaty. The in/out referendum nowhere near followed the rules but it was forced through and as Farage said beforehand a 52/48 result was unfinished business - oh I forgot - that was only if he lost!
Why would anyone think that this could not be reversed at some time? Laws in Britain have been repealed in the past and can be done again.
Those who believe we should have stayed in the EU have at least another 35 years of belly aching before equalling that which went on by those who never wanted to join!

Blinko Mon 07-Jun-21 11:20:28

MawBe

Stable door - bolted - horse - after - closing ?

Quite!

Kali2 Mon 07-Jun-21 11:27:36

MawBe

All the warnings were there- again and again. But the reply to the experts was constantly 'Project Fear'.

However, those who did not study the issues, did not listen to the experts' warnings - could not 'be wise' - you can only be wise if you are told exactly what you vote for, and all the pros and cons. In this case, 'Brexit' was a totally fictional concept, that not even the most ardent of Brexiters could agree about.

Brexit should have been clearly defined for what it would be- with all the pros and cons clearly pointed out, honestly and truthfully. It was NOT. So being 'wise' was not easy- especially as so much of it was based on pure lies.

Horse has bolted- lots of damage done. Horse can now choose to not jump over the cliff- Horses can be very wise.

Kali2 Mon 07-Jun-21 11:28:42

204 out of 226 polls since July 2017 have shown Remain ahead, with just seven for Leave, and 15 ties.

even if you don't trust polls, this is abundantly clear.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 07-Jun-21 11:30:27

Chewbacca

^We’re you asleep in the lead up to the referendum?^

Are you always so rude and bad mannered Whitewavemark2 or do you save it up until you're safely behind a keyboard? For someone who likes to pride themselves on being able to conduct a debate, you're remarkably well equipped to shut down discussion. Check your manners.

I would say the same to anyone who suggested that there was insufficient research and information available before the referendum.