Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit, Polls have turned, not just one, but all of them, but one

(354 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Kali2 Mon 07-Jun-21 09:55:04

And this over a long period of time now. This year only, we are at 74 to 1.

The Labour Party have asked me to embrace Brexit. I can certainly accept that it has happened, but I will never ever embrace it.

growstuff Wed 09-Jun-21 14:57:19

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

amymorris01 Wed 09-Jun-21 15:08:41

vegansrock Wed 09-Jun-21 15:12:37

amymorris01 Wed 09-Jun-21 15:18:25

Thanks Vegansrock (NOT).

growstuff Wed 09-Jun-21 15:19:05

Kali2 Wed 09-Jun-21 15:33:47

Perhaps personal insults both ways shouls stop. And we stick to fact- just fact.

As in the video below, UNREFUTABLE EVIDENCE that Johnson lied, again and again, on checks between mainland UK and NI- he knew, full well, that this was a lie too. And Poots knew that too, and so did Arlene, Paisley and co.

fb.watch/5PbnkGY2OD/

varian Wed 09-Jun-21 15:34:23

amymorris01

I understand people are angry but people have been angry since the vote because nobody really saw Brexit was going to happen most leavers im sure just hoped it would.
I remember when it first happened and people where happy and also people were surprised and angry to say the least. I was working in a very pro Euro enviroment at the time and two good friends of mine, one French and one Italian were so nasty towards me it was unreal, I just let them have their say but I can truthfully say I wouldnt have been nasty to anyone. Hey Ho. Everybody I know who voted leave havent changed their minds at all but this leave and remain arguement is never going to change either.

Did it actually surprise you that these two good friends, one French and one Italian, were not pleased about you voting Leave?

If you cannot understand how your vote must have made your foreign friends feel, when so much of the Leave campaign was anti-foreigner (ie xenophobic), then I am not surprised that you are totally oblivious to the hurt and devastation that Brexit has inflicted on your fellow Brits.

Perhaps the Leave voters you know have not changed their minds because, like you, they chose to ignore all the facts and evidence that their decision was a disastrous mistake.

Ever since the fraudulent referendum of 2016 the country has been divided as never before into two groups - those who look at the facts and those who ignore the facts and just keep telling themselves that they're sticking to their opinion, regardless of any evidence that they got it all wrong.

Kali2 Wed 09-Jun-21 15:35:22

If you put forward an argument, in any direction- than yes, you do have to explain, give clear evidence and stand up to scrutiny. Otherwise, why bother? That goes both ways, all ways btw.

seamstress Wed 09-Jun-21 16:15:41

Obviously some who refuse to explain their position either can't be arsed because they know their true explanation is inherently shallow or they just can't be arsed, but why they need to constantly say they cba is puzzling. By voting leave you actually were being nasty, intentionally or not, to people whose lives are being changed for the worse.

MichaelGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 09-Jun-21 16:16:59

Hi all. Just dropping by to let you know that we're getting reports about this thread - we've removed a few posts and hopefully things can get back on track now. Please do report anything that fails to meet a standard of civil debate and we'll pop back and take a look.
Love and peace please,
GNHQ

Kali2 Wed 09-Jun-21 16:25:02

It is increasingly looking like it was all a charade, just pretend long enough- sign a Deal you know you can't accept- so eventually you can just throw hands up and say 'naughty, nasty EU- we tried our best but they were too intolerant' - so we are going for No Deal - just as was planned all along by ERG. Johnson just jumped on the bandwagon to get elected at all costs.

Now I do not have evidence for this, yet- and it is my honest opinion, no more.

Sunak is now asking for the City to not be bound by the agreement on corporation tay he has just signed and agreed to! As if other countries can agree to that ?!?

growstuff Wed 09-Jun-21 16:25:02

Factual love and peace would be just great GNHQ.

amymorris01 Wed 09-Jun-21 16:25:47

I dont think I personaly insulted anybody.
I wasnt putting forward an argument either I was just saying that I voted leave and was fed up with all the moaning. I have to put up with being called a sleepwalker and didnt know what I was voting for.
I knew what I was voting for for us not having to answer to anybody and to be independant.
We cant all agree but thats life.

Kali2 Wed 09-Jun-21 16:28:03

But is is the very point amymorris- we are still totally dependent- but without a voice now.

Not even Johnson knew, not even Frost- no-one knows, not even now.

Kali2 Wed 09-Jun-21 16:48:59

Fishermen did not know, farmers did not know, small, medium and big businesses did not know, the financial sector did not know - so yes, I am in awe- congratulations if you knew. You are part of a tiny Elite, I think.

varian Wed 09-Jun-21 16:50:40

Labour peer, Baroness Joyce Quin writes-

"Boris Johnson’s government wants you to believe that Brexit is over, that the deal is done. But almost five months after the Brexit deal was reached last December, the idea that Brexit is “done” has been revealed to be a con. It could even be said that it is the biggest con of all.

There are years and years left of wrangling, debate and discussion on what our future relationship will look like. Just last week there have been discussions on our food, farming and environment standards as the government rushes to do its trade deal with Australia. The subject of citizens’ rights is back in the news. And so is the situation in Northern Ireland. None of these issues are “done”.

Johnson’s government is saying that Brexit is "done” for one reason – to shut down discussion. They want to prevent us from taking a stand on what our relationship with our friends and neighbours should look like. They are hoping that if they claim that this deal, this relationship, is set in stone, that we will sit back and won’t make a fuss.

Well, I for one will not sit back and let this happen. I am standing with the European Movement, and if you also believe it is in the best interests of our country to have a closer relationship with Europe, so should you. Now more than ever we are fighting for our future with our European partners."

varian Wed 09-Jun-21 16:51:16

www.europeanmovement.co.uk/

PippaZ Wed 09-Jun-21 17:17:45

amymorris01

I dont think I personaly insulted anybody.
I wasnt putting forward an argument either I was just saying that I voted leave and was fed up with all the moaning. I have to put up with being called a sleepwalker and didnt know what I was voting for.
I knew what I was voting for for us not having to answer to anybody and to be independant.
We cant all agree but thats life.

Who and why so you believe we were "answering" to anyone?

PippaZ Wed 09-Jun-21 17:30:37

so do

Katie59 Wed 09-Jun-21 17:37:22

amymorris01
May I ask what did you think you voted for , I have lots of friends who voted leave (they are still friends) the most common reason was “ we can do better without them”, they believed the diatribe promoted by BJ et al. Not one could say how turning our backs on our neighbours would mean we would do better.

I’m sure most Europeans were dumbstruck that UK decided to leave, I didn’t actually meet any angry ones, the Germans and Italians I did meet asked “why”.

Callistemon Wed 09-Jun-21 17:48:07

growstuff

MichaelGransnet didn't say it had to be factual.

I think hoping for love and peace is far too optimistic, MichaelGransnet but civility might be something to aim for.

Cunco Wed 09-Jun-21 18:05:50

How can anyone honestly determine what has happened as a result of COVID-19 or Brexit? It will be easier to determine after the impact of the pandemic is past.

As a Leaver (twice, as in happens, in 1975 and 2016), I accepted some of Project Fear. It was, though, not all correct. The stock market did not collapse, not even the more domestic elements until the pandemic impacted.

I am surprised by the polls, especially as the EU has hardly covered itself in glory over the pandemic. But the Remain establishment will not let the matter rest forever, waiting for the moment to revive issue. Let's hope next time it will put the case for being forever within a future United States of Europe, fully and honestly. It is not just a case of joining the Common Market. That was the story sold to the public in 1975. Echoing the words of the HSBC advert, it is much, much more and actually, just being part of a common market was never on offer.

vegansrock Wed 09-Jun-21 18:19:24

I didn’t insult anyone, just made a perfectly factual statement about a woolly comment.

growstuff Wed 09-Jun-21 18:21:56

Callistemon

growstuff

MichaelGransnet didn't say it had to be factual.

I think hoping for love and peace is far too optimistic, MichaelGransnet but civility might be something to aim for.

I didn't claim he did. I was merely giving my opinion. Apparently opinions are still allowed on GN.

Kali2 Wed 09-Jun-21 19:02:46

And of course, ti will all become much much more complicated in 3 weeks time.