Gransnet forums

News & politics

Baby Wilfred at G7 - what do you think?

(225 Posts)
dolphindaisy Sun 13-Jun-21 11:40:22

Boris and Carrie are adamant no one shows photos of the baby's face yet they have twice paraded him in front of the world's media, meaning his face has to be pixilated before the film can be shown. We know how much Boris loves a photo opportunity - he's rarely seen without a Hi Viz jacket or a white coat and please don't mention his early morning swim but I think it's wrong to use the baby as a photo prop. Plus if they are going to show him they could have put some shorts on him instead of taking him to the beach in a nappy and t-shirt (the baby not Boris).

Saetana Tue 15-Jun-21 01:34:09

Wow - talk about reaching? You could see the other parents amongst the G7 loved having little Wilfred around - why do some people have to be so nasty and spoil what were some touching moments? I'm sure that if another country was holding a major international meeting there would also be some children of particitating politicians and their children. But, of course, Boris and Carrie are not allowed to do this without being critisised - according to some members of GNET at least.

Ellianne Tue 15-Jun-21 07:31:29

You could see the other parents amongst the G7 loved having little Wilfred around
Yes, Mme Macron's face showed sheer delight in one of the photos, as the French usually do around children. Kids on the Continent are always present with their parents at meal times with other adults. Is it specifically in the UK that we we want to hide our children away?

wildswan16 Tue 15-Jun-21 07:51:19

I think there should be compulsory children at every meeeting involving politicians/councillors etc etc. Maybe that would ensure that they (the adults) behave appropriately, keep a sense of reality, do not use inflammatory language, and try to be an example of good, sensible adults.

theworriedwell Tue 15-Jun-21 08:30:05

CarrieAnn

If it's OK for The Cambridges to take their children on official visits what's wrong with the Johnsons taking Wilfred.I am not a political person, but I get really brassed of with the Boris knocking let him and his family get on with what they have to.

Have they taken them somewhere with people from several different countries who have come here without isolating? Don't think so.

Have they taken them somewhere with police from several different forces, some from areas badly affected by covid, are mixing? Don't think so.

We know when an Indian delegation came earlier in the year they almost immediately had to isolate due to positive cases. Here in Devon we had cruise ship staff coached in having come through Heathrow without quarantining or testing and on arrival at the coast were found to have two positive cases.

Mixing of people from various countries who haven't been isolated is obviously a risk.

I don't think a baby needs to "get on with" anything.

MawBe Tue 15-Jun-21 08:30:44

Alegrias1

Mentioning a baby is anti-Boris.

Mentioning a church is anti-Catholic.

Nobody mention a haggis, I'll be down your throats soon as look at you.

One of the silliest things I have wasted 15 seconds of my life reading.

Alegrias1 Tue 15-Jun-21 08:31:20

Ah well, don't let me keep you.

Jabberwok Tue 15-Jun-21 09:51:25

Tbh, I would never judge anyone by their private life, we may not approve but that is what it is, Private and not for others to determine. If we judged all politicians by this yard stick then half the H of C would be empty, the H of L even more so. Lloyd George wasn't called the old goat for nothing, and yet he was never and still isn't, judged by his colourful private life.

Lucca Tue 15-Jun-21 10:18:35

I have to say I’m amazed that we have 9 pages about this baby.
Some of the comments are really silly, from the ‘wish we could see his little face’ to “why isn’t he wearing shorts” and “oh no! Spite against a baby”.

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Jun-21 10:24:57

Lucca it is indeed weird how Wilfred and L**** have created so much discussion on here.
Are there currently any more celebabies (copywrite: FannyCornforth 2021)
knocking about who we could talk about, I wonder? ?

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Jun-21 10:26:18

Apologies, too few asterisks, it should of course read L****

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Jun-21 10:26:50

Oh, I give up.

Callistemon Tue 15-Jun-21 11:04:28

Just to say - the thread only runs to 3 pages on my device.
That's because I changed it to 100 posts per page.

(Same number of posts but it doesn't seem so long.)

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Jun-21 11:16:47

Re celebabies A South African woman claims that she has recently given birth to ten babies
Unfortunately, I can't link
I wonder if it will be discussed on GB News?

Jabberwok Tue 15-Jun-21 15:18:38

Oh lawks! All at once! Poor lady, mind you it will provoke interest ??

theworriedwell Wed 16-Jun-21 08:20:57

I was shocked at covid cases in Cornwall announced on local TV this morning.

On the 4th June, think that was about when they were all arriving for G7? the daily covid cases were 7, a week later when it was all over it was 96. That is one hell of a rise.

Rates are rising in Devon as well but we haven't had the same sort of rise, it varies round the county but the figure I found was 6 on the 4th and 30 on the 11th. Still a big jump but not quite as dramatic.

We have been incredibly lucky down here but with numbers rising and lots of visitors from all over the country I guess it is inevitable numbers will rise.

Ellianne Wed 16-Jun-21 09:33:06

Yes theworriedwell, it is a concern and the G7 summit should never have happened.

But I did read most of the cases were centered on St. Ives where the town has had to import lots of hospitality workers from other areas of the UK. The Weatherspoons had to bring in its staff from the North East of England for example. With the huge influx of tourists this summer, coastal areas do not have sufficient locals available or willing to work. It is the same for Devon and Norfolk etc. By bringing in staff from all over and accommodating them will sadly cause an increase in cases. I don't know what the answer is, but I am worried. They say the new Delta variant is far more transmissable outside too, so all the beach parties, air shows, fairgrounds won't help.

25Avalon Wed 16-Jun-21 10:02:49

A member of Extinction Rebellion went down with it in St. Ives. There were at least 500 of them there so yet another source of Covid.

theworriedwell Wed 16-Jun-21 10:04:45

I'm in Devon and I know lots of 16 year olds who have finished school in May are now working in local restaurants and other hospitality venues. I think there is a limit on people coming from elsewhere due to accommodation issues, there just isn't any! Caravans are going for upto £3000 a week in August which seems incredible.

I can't imagine the G7 didn't play a part in the Cornwall rise, foreign leaders and their entourages coming in without quarantine and police from all over Devon and Cornwall plus various parts of the country. I'm sure the government wouldn't agree, not the first time.

theworriedwell Wed 16-Jun-21 10:06:24

25Avalon

A member of Extinction Rebellion went down with it in St. Ives. There were at least 500 of them there so yet another source of Covid.

Yes lots of people from all over. Heaven help everyone. As I said we have been really lucky in Devon and Cornwall up to now so maybe it is our turn. We have also done really well with vaccinations so hopefully it won't lead to anything worse.

theworriedwell Wed 16-Jun-21 10:07:46

theworriedwell

I'm in Devon and I know lots of 16 year olds who have finished school in May are now working in local restaurants and other hospitality venues. I think there is a limit on people coming from elsewhere due to accommodation issues, there just isn't any! Caravans are going for upto £3000 a week in August which seems incredible.

I can't imagine the G7 didn't play a part in the Cornwall rise, foreign leaders and their entourages coming in without quarantine and police from all over Devon and Cornwall plus various parts of the country. I'm sure the government wouldn't agree, not the first time.

There must have been lots of journalists as well.

Callistemon Wed 16-Jun-21 10:27:58

Not just the G7 and all the associated entourages:

www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/nearly-400000-holidaymakers-heading-cornwall-5466613

maddyone Wed 16-Jun-21 11:11:59

Now I remember why I didn’t want to go to Cornwall for a holiday this year, despite being told we should all holiday at home. All being well I’m off to Zakinthos in September. I’m fully vaccinated and I’ve had Covid. EasyJet spray a 24 hour disinfectant on all their planes every day and I sanitise and wear a mask, as requested. Our accommodation is an isolated holiday home (three detached houses, we’ve got one) that share a swimming pool if you want to swim. Nothing else in sight except vines. We’re also going to Somerset for a week in July, an isolated holiday home on a rural farm. Why would anyone want to go to Cornwall after all the pictures last year?

maddyone Wed 16-Jun-21 11:13:07

Additionally the Greeks have said all their island populations will have been vaccinated by July.

theworriedwell Wed 16-Jun-21 11:47:34

Callistemon

Not just the G7 and all the associated entourages:

www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/nearly-400000-holidaymakers-heading-cornwall-5466613

That's true but I think in Devon we also have the influx of visitors, well we do in my town, but we don't have anywhere near the rise of Cornwall. So yes it isn't just G7 but I think it has some responsibility.