Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit is fast becoming a disaster

(686 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Jun-21 09:03:08

HMRC have published some figures to show that food and drink exports fell by 2bn in the first 3 months since Brexit.

Dairy was down a massive 90%? and there were losses across the board.

The figures show that rather it being a teething issue as the Tories would have us believe it is in fact structural and likely to continue unless there is some sort of move towards say the SM.

MayBee70 Mon 26-Jul-21 12:46:09

Is it true that Johnson now wants to re negotiate the oven ready brexit deal?

varian Mon 26-Jul-21 18:17:24

Yes. There never was an oven ready deal. They make it up as they go along but they never even thought about the consequences for NI.

Kali2 Tue 27-Jul-21 15:40:22

and we ain't seen nothing yet

westcountrybylines.co.uk/think-brexits-all-over.../

Kali2 Tue 27-Jul-21 15:41:40

The new (unilateral) deadlines are:

1 October 2021 —Pre-notification and export health certificates (EHCs) required for animal-origin products. This includes goods that are only transiting through the UK, say from France to the Republic of Ireland. EHCs have been one of the biggest issues on GB-EU trade with minor errors leading to delayed shipments. They are time-consuming (and expensive) and must be completed by a vet, or other qualified person.

1 January 2022 —Physical checks to begin at the border, including on animal and plants products, along with requirements for safety and security declarations. Some products, such as chilled mincemeat and fresh sausages, will be completely banned from entering GB from the EU.

March 2022 —Physical checks to begin on live animals and low-risk plant products

From a cynical perspective, the benefit of these new deadlines for the government is that they kick the worst effects of Brexit still further down the road, delaying those empty supermarket shelves once dismissed as ‘Project Fear’. They want to get to the next election with as many voters as possible still not realising that Brexit was a bad idea and its worst impacts are yet to come. It’s a big reason why many speculate that Johnson will call an early general election.

MaizieD Sat 31-Jul-21 10:44:24

3,000 workers at the Honda plant in Swindon become jobless today when it closes down.

Plus, of course, jobs lost in related industries which supplied the plant, and a drop in spending in local businesses.

www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/18/hondas-exit-is-based-on-many-factors-but-brexit-is-certainly-one

(old article, but nothing changed since then)

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Jul-21 10:55:02

Glaxo is in the middle of splitting what is left in the U.K. when that finally happens most will go to the EU and a small rump left in U.K.

The majority had now left the U.K. and is in the EU

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Jul-21 15:31:57

This, not covid as they would have us beleive

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Jul-21 15:32:17

Believe!

Dinahmo Sat 31-Jul-21 17:03:37

Wait for it WWM the naysayers will be on soon pointing out that the sample was only 615 so the figures can't be accurate! smile

Kali2 Sat 31-Jul-21 20:56:08

Whitewavemark2

Glaxo is in the middle of splitting what is left in the U.K. when that finally happens most will go to the EU and a small rump left in U.K.

The majority had now left the U.K. and is in the EU

Was so proud to work for Beecham's European division in London in the early 70s, such a wonderful British company. Friends worked at the Worthing plant.

Kali2 Sun 01-Aug-21 08:49:13

... now Glaxo.

MayBee70 Tue 03-Aug-21 16:50:44

Interesting mention of brexit just now on the BBC Olympic coverage. Someone (a coach ?) said that along with covid, brexit had caused problems to the team in the run up to the Olympics due to the travel restrictions brexit had caused.

varian Tue 03-Aug-21 17:01:24

Serious shortage of HGV drivers

brexitactually.quora.com/?__nsrc__=4&__snid3__=24517383914

JenniferEccles Tue 03-Aug-21 17:55:48

Meanwhile those of us who like to look for the positives for our country would have been delighted to read that the International Monetary Fund has upgraded our predicted growth from 5.3 per cent to 7, which means we are set to grow as fast as the US and faster than any other advanced economy.

Ironically the IMF had previously predicted a recession if the country voted for Brexit!

The successful vaccine rollout has been credited with aiding the swift economic recovery, and said that there was ‘a huge opportunity to push further’

There, isn’t that better than the incessant concentration on negativity seen on here?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 03-Aug-21 18:44:26

Along with 700 million £ new film studios to be built in Hertfordshire which will provide 4,500 jobs.

MerylStreep Tue 03-Aug-21 19:35:37

MayBee70

Interesting mention of brexit just now on the BBC Olympic coverage. Someone (a coach ?) said that along with covid, brexit had caused problems to the team in the run up to the Olympics due to the travel restrictions brexit had caused.

Despite all these problems we are still further ahead on the medals table than any other European country ( excluding Russia)
I’m sure that must really rankle some people, but you can’t dispute the facts. Go uk ???

Alegrias1 Tue 03-Aug-21 19:41:02

JenniferEccles

Meanwhile those of us who like to look for the positives for our country would have been delighted to read that the International Monetary Fund has upgraded our predicted growth from 5.3 per cent to 7, which means we are set to grow as fast as the US and faster than any other advanced economy.

Ironically the IMF had previously predicted a recession if the country voted for Brexit!

The successful vaccine rollout has been credited with aiding the swift economic recovery, and said that there was ‘a huge opportunity to push further’

There, isn’t that better than the incessant concentration on negativity seen on here?

I mentioned this either above or on another thread, can't remember where. The UK economy fell of a cliff last year and the forecast growth will not even get us back to where we were at the start of 2020.

The same is not true of a number of countries in the EU - Germany for instance will have a larger economy by the end of 2021 than it did at the start of 2020.

There, isn't that better than the constant misinterpretation of numbers seen on here? hmm

Alegrias1 Tue 03-Aug-21 19:43:39

GrannyGravy13

Along with 700 million £ new film studios to be built in Hertfordshire which will provide 4,500 jobs.

What would the numbers have been without Brexit? smile

We'll never know......

Whitewavemark2 Wed 04-Aug-21 09:19:29

Road Hauliers are saying that the food supply chain is 2-3 weeks away from total collapse.

I wonder why i5 isn’t on the BBC news?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 04-Aug-21 09:21:29

Link if it is possible to read

GrannyGravy13 Wed 04-Aug-21 10:05:03

Alegrias1

GrannyGravy13

What would the numbers have been without Brexit? smile

We'll never know......

As it’s an American Company, and this will be there first studio complex outside of the USA, I doubt that Brexit has anything to do with it.

Alegrias1 Wed 04-Aug-21 10:22:38

I was thinking about the other companies you listed in the attachment as well GG13

It really did strike me that we are seeing lists of companies that are expanding, but would the list have been longer without Brexit? We'll never know.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 04-Aug-21 10:29:26

Alegrias1

I was thinking about the other companies you listed in the attachment as well GG13

It really did strike me that we are seeing lists of companies that are expanding, but would the list have been longer without Brexit? We'll never know.

Of course you are correct on that Alegrias1

I am not clapping my hands in glee at the U.K.- EU Brexit agreement, however there are still investments in business and manufacturing in the U.K. which some folks ignore and only post of job losses.

Alegrias1 Wed 04-Aug-21 10:36:59

Fair enough GG13, I'm not criticising but I do think it's misleading.

Of course firms will continue to thrive. But how many are not thriving, and how many aren't even considering the UK for investment?

Its a bit like losing a sixpence and finding a thru'penny bit.

(Showing my age there)

nanna8 Wed 04-Aug-21 10:40:35

One thing about the uk,though. It is a great survivor and I have absolutely no doubt it will survive this too in one way or another.