Gransnet forums

News & politics

Birthing People - inclusive or offensive?

(310 Posts)
Sandycat Fri 18-Jun-21 21:04:20

Biden’s government has substituted Mother with Birthing People in their Health budget document - what next will Father become Sperm Donor or seed planter? and what will happen to Mother’s Day. angry

Corisanda Fri 18-Jun-21 23:40:32

Totally crazy and I'm so sick of this woke rubbish.

I understand the Green Party now describe women as non-men. What woman would vote for such garbage.

Mollygo Sat 19-Jun-21 00:21:06

trisher

So how is it supporting women to deny them the right to become men if they wish, and to give birth? It's the usual discrimination- only people (women) like me count, those who are different must conform to my standards.
Who needs patriachy there are women who will do the job as well if not better than men.

I’m not denying a woman the right to say she is a man. That’s up to her, but it doesn’t mean that a male can give birth. He, she or it gives birth as a female.

absent Sat 19-Jun-21 00:52:53

Should I start designing "Happy Birthing People's Day" cards and corner the market?

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Jun-21 01:10:21

Corisanda

I understand the Green Party now describe women as non-men. What woman would vote for such garbage.

Really?! Surely not?

nanna8 Sat 19-Jun-21 01:48:45

It is a strike against women clothed in political correctness. That is the sort of thing that makes people turn to the likes of Donald Trump, ironically. I always thought these extreme views have a lot in common. Pure misogyny.

rosie1959 Sat 19-Jun-21 07:06:10

If flu is anything to go by if men gave birth there would be a lot of only children in families

Whatdayisit Sat 19-Jun-21 07:34:45

rosie1959

If flu is anything to go by if men gave birth there would be a lot of only children in families

??

CocoPops Sat 19-Jun-21 07:39:04

Bonkers.

Esspee Sat 19-Jun-21 07:43:55

The world has truly gone mad.

Liz46 Sat 19-Jun-21 08:13:32

merlotgran

Bloody ridiculous.

Just that!

sodapop Sat 19-Jun-21 08:15:51

Ridiculous and I totally agree with SueDonim's point about adoptive mothers.

merlotgran Sat 19-Jun-21 08:27:26

As Ted from Line of Duty would say,

‘Holy Birthing Person!’

TerriBull Sat 19-Jun-21 09:07:04

Corisanda

........so are the men "non women" ? because if women are non men, then surely in the interests of addressing the balance, the men have to be reclassified as well. How do non men and non women even begin to abide by such conundrums confused I suppose all we can hope is that adherents to this tom foolery brave new world will disappear up their own non gender specific exhaust pipes!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Jun-21 09:15:34

To grow a baby you need a womb (at present time) , only women/females have wombs.

Women give birth, whatever they wish to call themselves they are women.

FarNorth Sat 19-Jun-21 09:20:42

gringringrin
So how is it supporting women to deny them the right to become men if they wish

trisher that's the best one you've come out with, yet.

trisher Sat 19-Jun-21 09:26:24

So if a woman wishes to be called a man you would all force her to remain a woman? Isn't that imposing your views on others? Isn't that Doodledog what the patriachy has done to people for centuries? Isn't that how the patriachy survives by labelling and seperating people? And some women are being consumed by it and are actually supporting views because they think it somehow resticts women. It doesn't. Trans men if they give birth have a right to call themselves whatever they wish, and I would support that right. Just as I would support any other human right. It seems very odd to me to claim to be a supporter of women but to deny one section of women their rights.

MerylStreep Sat 19-Jun-21 09:26:33

Am I the only person who’s reminded of the scene in The Life of Brian where Stan wants to have a baby?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Jun-21 09:30:22

trisher

So if a woman wishes to be called a man you would all force her to remain a woman? Isn't that imposing your views on others? Isn't that Doodledog what the patriachy has done to people for centuries? Isn't that how the patriachy survives by labelling and seperating people? And some women are being consumed by it and are actually supporting views because they think it somehow resticts women. It doesn't. Trans men if they give birth have a right to call themselves whatever they wish, and I would support that right. Just as I would support any other human right. It seems very odd to me to claim to be a supporter of women but to deny one section of women their rights.

I have absolutely nothing against women transitioning to a male however you can spin this as much as you like but men do not give birth

trisher Sat 19-Jun-21 09:31:52

Far North I'm glad you appreciate it but it is a valid question if as so many seem to state you cannot change your sex and remain female whatever you do (and therefore a woman) how can you actually claim to support women but deny someone the right to be called whatever they wish? Either they are a woman and therefore worthy of your consideration and acceptance if you support women. If you regard them as a man then perhaps they might be a considered a threat to women but you can't have it both ways.

trisher Sat 19-Jun-21 09:33:01

GrannyGravy13

trisher

I have absolutely nothing against women transitioning to a male however you can spin this as much as you like but *men do not give birth*

Trans men do a trans man has.

Callistemon Sat 19-Jun-21 09:33:12

FarNorth

gringringrin
So how is it supporting women to deny them the right to become men if they wish

trisher that's the best one you've come out with, yet.

I think I'd like to have become a boy/man until I wanted to give birth then become a woman then swap back again.

Sounds like the perfect solution.

FarNorth Sat 19-Jun-21 09:36:17

The OP is not about the word 'woman' or 'women' being removed. It is about the word 'mother'.

'Mother' is a word that means someone who is pregnant or has given birth and/or is a female person in a parental rôle, bringing up a child.

It's ridiculous of transmen and non binary people who give birth to insist that they are not mothers.

Use of the term 'birthing person' doesn't conceal that these are female people who give birth.

So even if those people claim to be male, or to have no sex, everyone knows the fact of the matter and this change is pointless.

FarNorth Sat 19-Jun-21 09:38:37

It seems very odd to me to claim to be a supporter of women but to deny one section of women their rights.

But transmen are men trisher! They are absolutely not a section of women.

trisher Sat 19-Jun-21 09:41:51

There was a lot posted on other threads about how the issue for trans people is their health care and their well being and how they shouldn't be catgorised as their trans gender because it might interfere with that provision. Isn't not permitting transmen to be included in health care provision (and bear in mind they may not want to be called mother) dangerous for them? If a transman is pregnant might special care be needed?

FarNorth Sat 19-Jun-21 09:42:48

trisher why are you happy that the term 'mother' is to be removed from the millions of women who would wish to be called that?

At the very least, as previously suggested, the phrase 'mothers and birthing persons' could be used in whatever context Biden wants.