Gransnet forums

News & politics

I have just about had enough of these contradictory covid19 regulations.

(334 Posts)
GillT57 Wed 23-Jun-21 13:45:40

Ok, so I am a law abiding person, I stayed at home, had my shopping delivered, no visitors, masks, hand washing, social distancing, both vaccinations etc., But, now I sit and watch thousands of football fans and Royal Ascot to name just two, at the same time as some bleating windbag of a politician is explaining why we shouldn't dance at a wedding ( other then the bride and groom), can only have limited guests in the church.....I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of the hypocrisy of it. I am going to a wedding in a mid July and the parents ( good friends) are worried sick about managing it all, how many can go into the Church, I told them to just stick a couple of horses in the gardens and we can say it is a race meet ( we will be wearing frocks and hats!), or get a football game going with some of the guests and we can be the spectators? Am I the only one irritated beyond measure?

growstuff Sat 03-Jul-21 11:48:09

Well, I will confess that I'm not a medic nor a scientist. However, I'll come clean here. My new partner (and I think we've been together long enough for me to call him that) is a scientist - a professor of biochemistry, who has been working on virus spike proteins for years. His team was given funding to work on Covid, he contributed to some of the Oxford research, which led to the vaccine, and he has work on it published. My (possible) future son-in-law is also a scientist, who leads a team analysing Covid data. Both think it's absolute madness to ignore current warning signs and to have a clean break with all restrictions and mitigations on 19th July. I have no reason to disagree with either of them.

maddyone Sat 03-Jul-21 11:51:58

Thank you Whitewave but nonetheless I do trust what your daughter tells you. It’s good to have some facts on here as well as lots of opinions.

maddyone Sat 03-Jul-21 11:52:38

Or should I also say scientific opinion.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 03-Jul-21 11:53:09

growstuff

Well, I will confess that I'm not a medic nor a scientist. However, I'll come clean here. My new partner (and I think we've been together long enough for me to call him that) is a scientist - a professor of biochemistry, who has been working on virus spike proteins for years. His team was given funding to work on Covid, he contributed to some of the Oxford research, which led to the vaccine, and he has work on it published. My (possible) future son-in-law is also a scientist, who leads a team analysing Covid data. Both think it's absolute madness to ignore current warning signs and to have a clean break with all restrictions and mitigations on 19th July. I have no reason to disagree with either of them.

My daughter also a microbiologist thinks the same. My cousin - a doctor seems too busy to comment we hardly ever see her although we have a meet up planned in a couple of weeks.

maddyone Sat 03-Jul-21 11:55:46

You’re right about that Whitewave.
My daughter is a doctor and has been extremely busy all through the Covid crisis.

MaizieD Sat 03-Jul-21 11:55:48

Alegrias1

I'm a scientist, just not a medic.

I think its a mistake to present the BMA's comments on things as being from the medical establishment when they are actually from a Trade Union.

A trade union that has views formed by its members. Doctors. Doctors who, I assume, are keeping abreast of developments and research into a disease that is killing thousands and is not really like diseases that they have encountered before in their careers.

I would also, mistakenly perhaps, assume that their members have concern for their patients, and potential patients, and how well they are able to cope with treating them.

Or are the BMA spokespeople making it up as they go along?

Callistemon Sat 03-Jul-21 12:00:43

I for one tend to trust what Alegrias says because I know she is a scientist.

Science has more than one branch and each divided into many specialties.

Alegrias1 Sat 03-Jul-21 13:01:40

This is going to be a long post; buckle up, if you’re interested.

I stated that I take what the BMA says publicly with a pinch of salt; I do, and I stand by it, because they were 100% wrong on the spacing of vaccines question, and they could be wrong again. Maybe they are not, but news bulletins and social media are not the vehicles for valid scientific debate.

I haven’t commented on, or denied the content of the posts and links that lead to scientists’ work, because as I have said several times it’s not my speciality.

I pointed out that a graph had been posted that was misleading, because it could lead to people thinking hospital cases were closer to historic highs than is the case.

In reply, I’ve had snide remarks that I don’t know what I’m talking about, that I think I’m better than others. (I paraphrase) I wrote something I immediately took back because it’s not what I meant. Told I was throwing my weight about.

Instead of jumping on bandwagons and defending your rights to have opinions about complex scientific issues, if you’d actually read what I said you might have noticed that I never commented at all on the ridiculous “Freedom Day” idea. At least in Scotland we don’t have to put up with such populist nonsense.