Gransnet forums

News & politics

RNLI and Farage

(342 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Jul-21 09:44:45

I am finding it difficult to get my brain around the concept, that there are people in this country who would rather let a world wide respected maritime organisation see people drown than save them.

I just hope that Farage criticising them for doing their job ensures that they have the best year yet from donations.

BlueBelle Thu 29-Jul-21 14:45:54

Please put Farage in a dingy with a slow leak and push him out to sea as far as possible, maybe they can save him when he screams loudly enough (see I m not unkind)
Outrageous man the thought of his foul words make me feel sick?

Deedaa Thu 29-Jul-21 14:48:11

If you watch any of the lifeboat programmes on television and see how distraught they are if they fail to save someone there is no way they would leave someone to drown.

Sarnia Thu 29-Jul-21 15:00:25

Watching someone drown would go against the grain of most people and especially those who are brave and selfless enough to volunteer to rescue people from the sea. Nigel Farage is no longer relevant in this country so he comes out with his stupid comments to keep himself in the limelight.

Kali2 Thu 29-Jul-21 15:46:56

Just keep donating- the best way to tell Farage what you think of him.

Callistemon Thu 29-Jul-21 16:00:16

BlueBelle

Please put Farage in a dingy with a slow leak and push him out to sea as far as possible, maybe they can save him when he screams loudly enough (see I m not unkind)
Outrageous man the thought of his foul words make me feel sick?

I was going to say that but he can only be saved when he apologises profusely and hands over a very large donation to the RNLI.

Chestnut Thu 29-Jul-21 16:28:04

Lucca

Against my better judgement I’ve just watched the clip of farage ranting on Gb news. (He said frankly four or five times by the way!) He even brought a dig at Harry and Meghan wondering if the RNLI were using the same PR firm…
Odious man.

Well I hadn't seen it, so I checked it out.
The truth about the RNLI
How many people posting on this thread have actually watched it?
He is not criticising the RNLI at all, he is supporting them. The point being that the RNLI are being used as a taxi service by the traffickers when it should be the British or French authorities who deal with the migrants. This should not be the work of a charitable organisation. Fair comment. Even the RNLI volunteers are unhappy about it. Of course WWM2 and other posters will always salivate at the chance to bash Farage, which is boring and predictable. Why not check the facts first. Lucca's post above is typical, completely ignores the subject itself and picks on two irrelevant things which have no bearing on it whatsoever just so she can have a pop.

Alegrias1 Thu 29-Jul-21 16:36:18

He is not criticising the RNLI at all, he is supporting them.

Hogwash.

His actual words: "I have no desire to pick a fight with the RNLI....but if (they) want to pick a fight with me that's fine by me. I've fought people bigger and uglier than you."

The man is a disgrace and anybody who supports him is no better. He's a bully and a liar.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Jul-21 16:41:18

Chestnut

Lucca

Against my better judgement I’ve just watched the clip of farage ranting on Gb news. (He said frankly four or five times by the way!) He even brought a dig at Harry and Meghan wondering if the RNLI were using the same PR firm…
Odious man.

Well I hadn't seen it, so I checked it out.
The truth about the RNLI
How many people posting on this thread have actually watched it?
He is not criticising the RNLI at all, he is supporting them. The point being that the RNLI are being used as a taxi service by the traffickers when it should be the British or French authorities who deal with the migrants. This should not be the work of a charitable organisation. Fair comment. Even the RNLI volunteers are unhappy about it. Of course WWM2 and other posters will always salivate at the chance to bash Farage, which is boring and predictable. Why not check the facts first. Lucca's post above is typical, completely ignores the subject itself and picks on two irrelevant things which have no bearing on it whatsoever just so she can have a pop.

Quite extraordinary, and disingenuous.

Ellianne Thu 29-Jul-21 16:43:11

I listened. He sort of has a point that rescue lifeboats shouldn't have to sort this mess out.
However, I very much dislike the way he speaks.

Callistemon Thu 29-Jul-21 16:45:34

It has just been suggested to me that the RNLI should not be involved at all, it is the job of the British Government and the coastguard if the boats are in British waters.

That is a fair point although I know that the RNLI will not ignore a distress call.

AGAA4 Thu 29-Jul-21 16:47:08

I don't like Farage but having watched the clip I can see his point. Using a charity such as RNLI to do the work of the authorities is wrong. Of course the RLNI will go out to save people at risk but I don't believe this is how they should be used.

AGAA4 Thu 29-Jul-21 16:49:36

I also take the point that the RNLI are volunteers with jobs and if they are being called out over and over again it may not be sustainable for some of them.

25Avalon Thu 29-Jul-21 16:55:35

RNLI are actually going into French waters when it should be the French rescue services. They know our RNLI are humanitarian and they are taking advantage.

Having read Farage’s comments I don’t see much wrong with what he said. Certainly not vile as some would make out. Just shows you should always read for yourself.

Chestnut Thu 29-Jul-21 17:07:14

Thank you 25Avalon. You have actually taken time to listen to the point being made instead of frothing about some perceived injustice. As far as I can see it is you and other previous posters who are being disingenuous WWM2, throwing missiles without establishing whether the target is actually the enemy at all. My comment was quite sincere.

Alegrias1 Thu 29-Jul-21 17:18:42

I've never frothed.

WWM2, is that you frothing? Lucca? Stop that frothing. Everyone: stop frothing this instant.

It would be comical if it wasn't so dispiriting.

HolySox Thu 29-Jul-21 17:20:23

From the Mailonline (see my previous post):
"And what is more, it is clear that the Royal National Lifeboat Institution — the registered charity so many of us help fund through donations, garden fetes and collection boxes — is regularly sending its vessels into French waters to bring in migrants. It is, say critics, doing so even if they are not in imminent danger and in areas which are the responsibility of the French — not British — sea rescue services."
Critics suggest more people than Mr Farage. Whilst I have every sympathy with refugees, are the RNLI really helping if they are supporting this illegal trafficking of people. If they are, then they are effectively colluding with criminals to put the lives of desperate people at risk.
As the article says it is the duty of the EU/French Government to patrol their own waters not a British charity.

Chestnut Thu 29-Jul-21 17:29:07

Well, WWM2 I wonder if you can 'get you head around' the fact that your OP is complete nonsense. Who are these people you mention who would rather let people drown than save them? And who has criticised the RNLI for doing their job?

Lucca Thu 29-Jul-21 17:37:29

Chestnut. Lucca's post above is typical, completely ignores the subject itself and picks on two irrelevant things which have no bearing on it whatsoever just so she can have a pop.

You know what? I Think you’re rather rude. Do I typically ignore the subject itself ? When ? Where ?

He mentioned Meghan and harry !

Well how rude.

Lucca Thu 29-Jul-21 17:39:34

I took the time to listen to his “speech” on GB news

Barmeyoldbat Thu 29-Jul-21 17:42:02

It is not the fault of the RNLI that the people they rescue are refugees, they will rescue whoever is in danger. The fault lies with the government, they should be doing a great deal more than they are to help refugees who need help in obtaining a safe place to live and shame on Farage and all that support him.

BlueBelle Thu 29-Jul-21 17:43:19

Hooray, people have now donated thousand so Farages rant has done them a service

Chestnut Thu 29-Jul-21 17:44:04

Lucca I think you've misread what I meant, it was a comment typical of the posts on this thread, which are just having a pop at Farage but not discussing the actual content of what he said. I wasn't saying all your posts are like that, but that particular one was, and had no bearing on the subject.

Lucca Thu 29-Jul-21 17:48:46

Chestnut

Lucca I think you've misread what I meant, it was a comment typical of the posts on this thread, which are just having a pop at Farage but not discussing the actual content of what he said. I wasn't saying all your posts are like that, but that particular one was, and had no bearing on the subject.

How did it have no bearing on the subject ?? I was commenting on the video of Farage from GB news ???

“Luccas post is typical, complete ignores the subject ..etc etc” how is that not about my posts ?”

Two questions for you please.

BlueBelle Thu 29-Jul-21 17:55:11

Great post barmeyoldbat exactly how I feel Everyone deserves to be helped

Chestnut Thu 29-Jul-21 18:06:58

Lucca

Chestnut

How did it have no bearing on the subject ?? I was commenting on the video of Farage from GB news ???

“Luccas post is typical, complete ignores the subject ..etc etc” how is that not about my posts ?”

Two questions for you please.

You were commenting that there was a mention of Harry and Meghan in the video. This does not relate to the RNLI subject.
I'm sorry if my choice of words made you think something that was not intended. I've explained in my previous post.
But your post was after all just an excuse for a pop at Farage, with no mention of what he actually said about the RNLI and migrants. Calling someone names does not really add to the discussion.