Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson and his metaphorical fridge

(91 Posts)
Alegrias1 Tue 03-Aug-21 19:53:29

Johnson is coming to Scotland later this week.

He can't even be arsed bothered to meet the woman running the show.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58079390

He's not just a buffoon, he's a rude, disrespectful buffoon.

Or is it just me who thinks that? I expect he's too busy, learning how to use an umbrella, or something like that.

Blossoming Wed 04-Aug-21 10:29:34

The other day grin

lemongrove Wed 04-Aug-21 11:00:56

Hmm, all these ‘hurt feelings’ on behalf of Sturgeon eh?
It may be what she says or what her staff say to the media, and yes, she is a seasoned manipulator and player.
Put aside the hatred of Johnson for a second and think of his title/office instead, he’s the PM of the whole of the UK and can do official/ unofficial visits to Scotland without having meetings with anyone ( in political positions) if he wants to.
Particularly meetings with somebody who’s sole aim is to break up the UK.
Of course Sturgeon would have been told in good time about his visit, there is police/ security to be arranged for a start. She is simply making a big deal of it as she wants to be conferred with at all times.

Alegrias1 Wed 04-Aug-21 11:08:17

I don't think Sturgeon needs us to be hurt on her behalf. The issue is that Johnson thinks Scotland is just like Yorkshire (apologies to any Yorkshire people here!) and he thinks it is just part of his fiefdom. He doesn't recognise that is a different country and he has to behave differently when he gets here. I hope he remembers to wear his mask, its still law here.

I am absolutely certain that Nicola released the letter to Boris to show him up for what he is. If his office had contacted hers properly, they could have had a grown up discussion about meeting and agreed that this wasn't the time. But if he's going to ignore her, and by extension the rest of his Scottish subjects (sarcasm again), he best be ready for what gets thrown at him.

She wants to be conferred with? She's running the bl**dy country, you bet she wants to be "conferred with"!

Blossoming Wed 04-Aug-21 11:12:15

Think this thread has hit a nerve with the Johnson Cheerleaders! grin

lemongrove Wed 04-Aug-21 11:12:51

All supposition on your part Aleg

lemongrove Wed 04-Aug-21 11:16:30

More that it has hit a nerve with SNP and Conservative haters
Blossoming ( which are you btw?)
It’s a lot of nonsense blown out of all proportion by canny political spads working for Sturgeon, to get the populace all worked up.wink

JaneJudge Wed 04-Aug-21 11:17:45

it reminds me of when he forgot Wales *the other day*

ayse Wed 04-Aug-21 11:17:50

Alegrias1

25Avalon

Lovely cartoon in the Telegraph today.

The Police were seriously referring to policing this visit as Operation Bunter. ?

???

lemongrove Wed 04-Aug-21 11:25:34

So....who are disrespectful buffoons now? The Scottish police it seems or....could it be more political chicanery on the part of the SNP?
Look, it’s politics and all designed to make voters in Scotland more inclined to vote Yes when it comes ( if it ever does) to another inde referendum.

lemongrove Wed 04-Aug-21 11:27:18

I will now leave this thread to the metaphorical Bravehearts.

Kali2 Wed 04-Aug-21 12:50:49

lemongrove

Hmm, all these ‘hurt feelings’ on behalf of Sturgeon eh?
It may be what she says or what her staff say to the media, and yes, she is a seasoned manipulator and player.
Put aside the hatred of Johnson for a second and think of his title/office instead, he’s the PM of the whole of the UK and can do official/ unofficial visits to Scotland without having meetings with anyone ( in political positions) if he wants to.
Particularly meetings with somebody who’s sole aim is to break up the UK.
Of course Sturgeon would have been told in good time about his visit, there is police/ security to be arranged for a start. She is simply making a big deal of it as she wants to be conferred with at all times.

lemongrove ''Hmm, all these ‘hurt feelings’ on behalf of Sturgeon eh?'

not about NS, but about the Scottish people and the way they have been treated by Johnson. Surely you can see that. Alegrais explains it all well - indeed!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 04-Aug-21 13:03:13

No point, Kali2. There are none so blind as those who cannot see past the "wonderful" Mr Johnson! grin

Alegrias1 Wed 04-Aug-21 13:07:32

To be fair, Lemongrove has often posted about how she is not a fan of Johnson. But the urge to have a pop at anything Scottish, and especially Nicola, just must be too strong ?

Kali2 Wed 04-Aug-21 13:13:58

I do have sympathy with lemon for wishing to leave this conversation, however. It must be increasingly difficult for even the most fervent Cons to support him.

rosie1959 Wed 04-Aug-21 13:23:18

She invites him a couple of days before a planned visit then is surprised he has to turn her down. No doubt all arrangements and security has been done well in advance.
A little political point scoring to be had there then
Can’t say I blame him for not meeting up with her if there is one whiny little voice that can put my teeth on edge it’s hers

Kali2 Wed 04-Aug-21 13:25:59

Oh, her voice, I see.

Yes, this is what I really really want from a PM- a good voice, that will do.

rosie1959 Wed 04-Aug-21 13:30:26

Kali2

Oh, her voice, I see.

Yes, this is what I really really want from a PM- a good voice, that will do.

Hmm totally ignoring my first point about timing
She very unlikely to be PM so that won’t be a worry

Alegrias1 Wed 04-Aug-21 13:59:30

I don't think there is anybody in Scotland who isn't aware that Nicola knows she can make political capital out of this. On an official visit, (as opposed to holidays) you might think that a Head of Government might want to check in with his/her opposite number, even to say that their agenda is packed so they can't meet up. But some Heads of Government have the political nous of a banana and don't bother with the niceties. Then their followers are surprised when they get called out for it.

JaneJudge Wed 04-Aug-21 14:04:28

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I don't understand why people dislike Nicola Sturgeon. She is a very strong woman who seems to act with integrity and stands up for what she believes in and unlike our Prime minister, she doesn't waiver. One of my friends really dislikes her and when I questioned her about it, she said she didn't like her 'keep going on about Scotland' grin grin which to me seemed a pretty 'English' response (though my friend is actually Italian so...)

Grandmabatty Wed 04-Aug-21 14:47:11

I'm not an SNP fan and I can see flaws in the Scottish government, however I think it's rude of Johnson to ignore the person in charge of the Scottish government when he is coming to this country. Perhaps he wouldn't have needed an invite if a meeting had been organised by his staff when the visit was suggested.

Lucca Wed 04-Aug-21 14:54:39

JaneJudge

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I don't understand why people dislike Nicola Sturgeon. She is a very strong woman who seems to act with integrity and stands up for what she believes in and unlike our Prime minister, she doesn't waiver. One of my friends really dislikes her and when I questioned her about it, she said she didn't like her 'keep going on about Scotland' grin grin which to me seemed a pretty 'English' response (though my friend is actually Italian so...)

It’s pure and simple snobbishness. They don’t like the way she speaks One poster actually admits it
and that’s apparently acceptable but anyone who criticises JRM’s affected way of soda king gets accused if inverted snobbery,

Whitewavemark2 Wed 04-Aug-21 14:56:54

Mogg’s affectation is just that. There is no one else in the U.K. that affects such a strange accent.

Even the poshest.

AGAA4 Wed 04-Aug-21 15:35:50

I may be wrong but it seems to me that BJ has little time or respect for the devolved nations or for the north of England so it doesn't surprise me that he is not meeting Nicola Sturgeon

Lucca Wed 04-Aug-21 16:50:15

Lucca

JaneJudge

It’s pure and simple snobbishness. They don’t like the way she speaks One poster actually admits it
and that’s apparently acceptable but anyone who criticises JRM’s affected way of soda king gets accused if inverted snobbery,

Soda king ???. Talking.

JaneJudge Wed 04-Aug-21 16:56:20

Don't worry I knew what you meant, though I'm baffled by it as her voice/style of speaking is normal confused

JRM most probably thinks the Soda King runs all the food banks he is so fond of wink