Gransnet forums

News & politics

So many dreams for our youngsters dashed.

(407 Posts)
Kali2 Thu 05-Aug-21 08:45:49

Already a huge problem for all those wanting to work in European resorts, be it in the leisure, sport or tourism of any form - and ski/snowboard instructors, sailing, surfing, etc. as 'equivalence' only applies to EU and Switzerland. Now those who aspire to be pilots, face the same problem as post-Brexit exclusion frustrates UK pilots as carriers seek EASA-licensed crews.

The Ski Operators are now advertising for staff in all their resorts, requiring an EU passport for all staff, from cleaners, to reps and instructors.

How sad that opportunities for our grand-children are being dashed like this - at the time where they lives are being so restricted in other ways due to Covid, and they also face the worries of climate change.

Welshwife Sun 15-Aug-21 22:23:14

It is not always straightforward to get a working visa for USA unless you are working in an industry which finds certain skills difficult to find in the USA population and you can supply those skills.
I don’t know what the working visas are like to get in Italy but before Brexit they would not have been needed.

Lucca Mon 16-Aug-21 03:51:03

Amalegra

There are other places to explore snd work other than Europe, in the travel industry as well as the professions. My nephew travelled snd worked in Australia and New Zealand and worked all over the USA before deciding to settle in California. My son has similar ambitions. My brother in law has worked all over the Middle East as did my ex husband years ago. The whole world is shrinking and is there to explore!

But what if you prefer to be in the wonderful variety of European countries ? Just forget about Europe ?

GagaJo Mon 16-Aug-21 08:09:58

Welshwife

It is not always straightforward to get a working visa for USA unless you are working in an industry which finds certain skills difficult to find in the USA population and you can supply those skills.
I don’t know what the working visas are like to get in Italy but before Brexit they would not have been needed.

I think this will be the situation in Europe now. Certainly, it was the situation in Europe for those from non European countries 3 years ago, because I benefitted from it, job-wise.

NotSpaghetti Mon 16-Aug-21 09:24:19

I don't understand why there's a lack of acceptance that ease of doing things in Europe (anything really) has gone.

As far as I'm concerned, opportunities have diminished.
It's still possible to do things in/with Europe, just harder.

Even taking a piece of work to an exhibition in Paris is harder - and now, very expensive. The attitude to samples has also changed. Lots of little niche areas have become problematic. This impacts our children and grandchildren and yes, the youngest won't know anything else - but it's putting the clocks back and seems wrong.
?‍♀️

Lucca Mon 16-Aug-21 10:02:39

Good post Notspaghetti

JaneJudge Mon 16-Aug-21 13:31:01

Are you a textile print designer NotSpaghetti? You are right btw