Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit

(354 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 07:08:36

The emergency Brexit powers for lorries has been made permanent as the government expects further and more serious disruption.

growstuff Wed 11-Aug-21 08:25:03

Lincslass

Whitewavemark2

Took dog to see vet yesterday and had a chat.

Apparently there is a critical shortage of vets because of Brexit.

Funny my lovely Spanish dentist is still here, and the local Blue cross still has its Romanian vet. My brother has never had a problem at his dogs vet practice. Perhaps it’s just where you live, we welcome those EU citizens who have stayed,

Well, that's three people. What about the rest?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:25:17

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2 respectfully, perhaps you would like a word with my European Vet, Dentist and GP…

No perhaps they would like to talk to each other.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:27:21

Another supply chain is due which has lead to a shortage of test tubes for blood tests

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:28:03

Alegrias1

You can't distract from the fact that we are thinking of allowing animal testing for cosmetic products for the first time in more than quarter a century by saying "Oh, but look at Poland!". We led the EU in making animal testing illegal, now we're going backwards.

The arguments of the Brexiters/Tories/people with heads in the sand/whatever just get more bizarre by the day.

Never mind, I'm sure it will all iron itself out, as if by magic.

I am totally against animals testing for cosmetics and avoid all products that do.

It has continued regardless of EU regulations, U.K. regulations are higher and tougher and will continue to be so.

Some of the biggest companies advertised day in day out on our TV’s test on Animals.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:28:56

“As we learn of permanent Kent lorry queues

Remember this…

The s..t is yet to meet the fan as we desperately cling to 6 begged-for, grace periods for:

1) NI Protocol

2) Medicine regs

3) CE Regs

4) Data regs

5) Financial equivalence

6) Chemical regs”

MaizieD Wed 11-Aug-21 08:29:47

The shortage of vets is more critical for the meat industry than for profitable small animal practices. Vets are needed to monitor abattoirs and for SPS checks on meat imports and exports. These are not popular jobs among the UK veterinary fraternity and have generally been done by vets from other EU countries.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:30:48

MaizieD

The shortage of vets is more critical for the meat industry than for profitable small animal practices. Vets are needed to monitor abattoirs and for SPS checks on meat imports and exports. These are not popular jobs among the UK veterinary fraternity and have generally been done by vets from other EU countries.

Oh yes ? I forgot to mention that.

Alegrias1 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:31:16

Cosmetic firms have always been allowed (especially the expensive skin care/make-up companies) to test on animals and if they export to China the products have to be tested on animals.

Testing cosmetic products and their ingredients on animals was banned in the UK in 1998 and across the EU in 2013. What other countries do, I can't say. We used to be leaders in this. Not any more.

MaizieD Wed 11-Aug-21 08:34:17

growstuff

Lincslass

Whitewavemark2

Phone roaming charges have been reinstated.

One of the many lies told by brexiters who said that would never happen

One of the many lies told by the providing phone companies who said they wouldn’t do this, and who do not need to do this. This is about money grabbing, nothing else.

It's about making a profit, which is what businesses do, unless laws stop them, which being in the EU did.

Oh, you spoilsport, growstuff. I was looking forward to Lincslasses' explanation of why phone companies can now reintroduce roaming charges.

I do think that Leave voters should own the consequences of their vote...

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:43:04

Alegrias1

Estée Lauder
Lancôme
L’Oreal
Elizabeth Arden
L’Occitane
Durex (random but they test on Animals)
Febreze

The list is enormous, this is just a few random ones, the let-out clause is exporting to China!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:46:00

MaizieD own the consequences of their vote !!!

What a ridiculous thing to say, we all had a free vote and we were entitled to use it as we saw fit.

Alegrias1 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:53:25

GrannyGravy13

Alegrias1

Estée Lauder
Lancôme
L’Oreal
Elizabeth Arden
L’Occitane
Durex (random but they test on Animals)
Febreze

The list is enormous, this is just a few random ones, the let-out clause is exporting to China!

I just looked up l'Occitane, just as an example.

ie.loccitane.com/l'occitane's-position-on-animal-testing,103,1,87296,1087160.htm

I'm sure you'll come back and say you were right, but you're not. No testing allowed in the UK or the EU. Companies here showing leadership.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:55:37

GrannyGravy13

What a ridiculous thing to say, we all had a free vote and we were entitled to use it as we saw fit.

But not a single one will say we were wrong when saying “project fear”

Not a single one has found a benefit from Brexit.

Not a single one will say we were lied to

Not a single one will say the referendum was fraudulent

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Aug-21 09:01:13

This taken from the bunny free app.

They may have modified the testing but the bottom line is they still test on Animals.

growstuff Wed 11-Aug-21 09:04:08

GrannyGravy13

I don't understand this response, which doesn't appear relevant.

Yes, we know everybody had a free vote, but "owning" the consequences means not continually denying them and making excuses.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Aug-21 09:05:25

Alsgrias1 I would like to see the source of the evidence which states that the U.K. will resume Animal Testing…

There are literally 1,000’s of cosmetics, perfume, shower/bath products, shampoo and conditioners on sale in the U.K. and the rest of Europe which have been tested on animals.

Just because this has testing has not happened in the EU/U.K. but elsewhere in the world does not make it acceptable.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Aug-21 09:06:31

growstuff I have not denied or made excuses for anything, just pint out when blanket statements are untrue.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 09:07:20

GrannyGravy13

Alsgrias1 I would like to see the source of the evidence which states that the U.K. will resume Animal Testing…

There are literally 1,000’s of cosmetics, perfume, shower/bath products, shampoo and conditioners on sale in the U.K. and the rest of Europe which have been tested on animals.

Just because this has testing has not happened in the EU/U.K. but elsewhere in the world does not make it acceptable.

It is in The Guardian. I can’t do links.

MaizieD Wed 11-Aug-21 09:13:56

Whitewavemark2

GrannyGravy13

It is in The Guardian. I can’t do links.

www.theguardian.com/science/2021/aug/11/uk-could-allow-animal-tests-for-cosmetic-ingredients-for-first-time-since-1998?utm_term=417c0243784d1e6e1beb8c5e46981a5b&utm_campaign=MorningBriefingUK&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=morningbriefinguk_email

Alegrias1 Wed 11-Aug-21 09:17:18

The UK and the EU have decades-old legislation that prevents companies testing on animals. Some companies' products are tested on animals in countries that have not introduced the forward thinking legislation. Some companies (e.g. l'Occitane) are working with authorities in those countries to get the legislation changed.

We used to lead the way. Now we're going backwards

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Aug-21 09:25:47

This is an interesting part of the Guardian Artucle aligning with European Chemicals Agency

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 09:28:30

We are going backwards in so much.

Animal testing.

The right to protest

Journalists right to report without hindrance

Employee rights

Corrupt government without hindrance

Alegrias1 Wed 11-Aug-21 09:30:02

When we were in the EU, we could influence the legislation.

Now we're out, we can't do anything.

Life really isn't as simple as Leavers seem to think it is.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Aug-21 09:43:16

Alegrias1

When we were in the EU, we could influence the legislation.

Now we're out, we can't do anything.

Life really isn't as simple as Leavers seem to think it is.

Nor is it as complicated as those who voted remain think.

Hurdles are there but they are not insurmountable, some perspective needed.

GillT57 Wed 11-Aug-21 09:43:28

So, after 5 years, what benefits can we look forward to? Anyone? Surely you must have read or heard even one statement that made you think that voting to leave the EU was a stunningly good idea?