Gransnet forums

News & politics

Macron and the AZ vaccine

(112 Posts)
Witzend Wed 18-Aug-21 12:52:47

I can’t give details, since they’d be outing, but the other day a dd told me that through work, she’d been in contact with a man in a very senior role, who said he’d heard Macron, in person, actually admit that the reason he’d been so keen to rubbish the AZ vaccine, was because of Brexit.

In other words, to serve the U.K. right.
Perhaps especially, given his wounded pride after the French vaccine failed to work, or to work well enough.
What a nasty, spiteful little man he must be.

I can’t say I was too surprised to hear it, though, since I’d already suspected as much.

Petera Thu 19-Aug-21 19:18:09

growstuff

Maggiemaybe

The vaccination of 16 and 17 year olds began on 6 August in the UK. The quote on the BBC site relates to under 16s. And as the rules re self-isolation have changed, there shouldn’t be any more significant disruption to education.

I’m not a scientist so am happy to listen to the ones that I feel have done a good job here with our vaccine roll-out.

Has anybody bothered to tell the virus to stop infecting people because the rules re self-isolation have changed?

Sent by a Flemish friend - roughly "is this chair free?"

Maggiemaybe Thu 19-Aug-21 20:19:14

Has anybody bothered to tell the virus to stop infecting people because the rules re self-isolation have changed?

A recent UK study concludes that up to 68% of cases in children are asymptomatic. The majority of the rest cause minor symptoms only. Hence the rule change regarding schools - many people feel that sending a whole class or bubble home because of one asymptomatic case (as has happened to three of my grandsons) is about as logical as shutting up shop because one of them has chickenpox.

But you obviously disagree. So do you know of a way to bring about zero infection? Would you vaccinate the entire population, babies included? Perhaps exclude any schoolchildren who aren’t vaccinated? Or just shut society down again and hope it all goes away?

SueDonim Thu 19-Aug-21 20:37:22

I’d also be interested to know this. The young lad next door is waiting on a kidney transplant and was vaccinated ages ago because he is likely to be very vulnerable if he gets Covid. He has to go to hospital three times a week for dialysis at the moment and that’s obviously somewhere he could catch the disease.

SueDonim Thu 19-Aug-21 20:38:19

Sorry, I meant to quote Growstuff’s post re kidney disease.

growstuff Thu 19-Aug-21 21:23:34

Maggiemaybe

^Has anybody bothered to tell the virus to stop infecting people because the rules re self-isolation have changed?^

A recent UK study concludes that up to 68% of cases in children are asymptomatic. The majority of the rest cause minor symptoms only. Hence the rule change regarding schools - many people feel that sending a whole class or bubble home because of one asymptomatic case (as has happened to three of my grandsons) is about as logical as shutting up shop because one of them has chickenpox.

But you obviously disagree. So do you know of a way to bring about zero infection? Would you vaccinate the entire population, babies included? Perhaps exclude any schoolchildren who aren’t vaccinated? Or just shut society down again and hope it all goes away?

Yes, I would vaccinate children, currently from age 12. There is safety data on this age group and there have been shown to be benefits to the children themselves and to the community.

There needs to be more research on children under 12, but if the vaccine is shown to be safe, I would vaccinate them all, including babies.

The UK is currently an outlier in its treatment of children and I'm afraid the data reflects it. The numbers might be relatively small, but there are thousands of children who might end up living with the effects of long Covid for the rest of their lives. It's an avoidable risk, which I don't think should be taken.

There haven't been even the slightest attempts to mitigate Covid transmission in schools. A relatively cheap and realistic goal would have been to improve ventilation by ensuring that all rooms have opening windows and installing air filters. Promised laptops could have been delivered, so that missing lessons wouldn't have been so catastrophic. It's not rocket science to anybody who could be bothered.

lemongrove Thu 19-Aug-21 21:56:25

User7777

As if anyone thought we would be popular after Brexit. Well, the vote is over, time to look forward not back

Many posters don’t want to look forward, you need only read a few threads on this forum to see that.
Some are still re-living the referendum of 5 years ago!
Everything in EU countries is marvellous apparently, and all in the UK is doom and gloom.?
Fortunately, I don’t see this in real life, but every day is Groundhog Day on here.

lemongrove Thu 19-Aug-21 21:58:59

Re vaccinating young children, I hope we don’t go down this route, it’s unnecessary and could have very bad consequences .
Over 16’s seems sensible.

Alegrias1 Thu 19-Aug-21 22:09:28

Fortunately, I don’t see this in real life, but every day is Groundhog Day on here.

That'll be why the OP was a rumour about something that was alleged to have happened about six months ago, then.

Kamiso Thu 19-Aug-21 23:09:52

lemongrove

Re vaccinating young children, I hope we don’t go down this route, it’s unnecessary and could have very bad consequences .
Over 16’s seems sensible.

Our 16 year old grandson is having his vaccination tomorrow. Presumably it’s down to individual health authorities again.

Dinahmo Thu 19-Aug-21 23:23:53

The pass sanitaire became obligatory on 9 August for restaurants and bars and leisure and cultural venues. There was a week's "learning period" to enable such establishments to get used to it. Until 9th August it was possible to go to a cinema or theatre that only allowed 49 people in.

The owner of our local bar/restaurant is closing permanently at the end of the month because he doesn't agree with policing people, as is a similar establishment in a nearby town. I read recently that around 700 bars/restaurants throughout France will be closing permanently for the same reason. Others are doing take away meals only so the passport is not required. One friend went to another restaurant last Friday and the police turned up to check on the passports.

Many people are unhappy about but they chose to go along with it. No doubt most of us will get used to it.

vegansrock Fri 20-Aug-21 07:10:42

The vaccine programme is ahead of the U.K. in many EU countries now. Not of course reported in the U.K. press. My Italian relatives all done including the 15 year old. The hesitancy over the AZ vaccine was fuelled by an 18 year old developing a blood clot and dying after the AZ vaccine.Seems like a good reason for hesitancy. If people think that is an excuse and just revenge for Brexit then they have a giant anti EU chip on their shoulder. I seem to think the U.K. doesn’t use AZ for under 30s?