Gransnet forums

News & politics

Do you sometimes get really frustrated when things seem to have such an obvious solution?

(81 Posts)
GillT57 Thu 26-Aug-21 13:45:43

The main thing I am thinking of is the well discussed shortage of HGV drivers which is causing delivery problems. To me, the obvious solution would be to offer some sort of career development loan to enable people to take lessons and achieve their HGV licence, either independently or through a logistics company. What about ex-service personnel? The career loan could be deducted at source as with student loans. Surely I can't be the only one who sees this solution? Or does anyone know if there is such a plan?

Alegrias1 Mon 30-Aug-21 08:30:15

Urmstongran

The change of tax code is the main reason according to a friend in the business. Not Brexit. Although some want to use that handy peg.

There are many reasons. Brexit is one of them, that other countries don't have to deal with on top of all the others.

Urmstongran Mon 30-Aug-21 08:33:56

‘Other countries’ might not have just altered their tax code for HGV drivers though have they? So it’s difficult to extrapolate!

MaizieD Mon 30-Aug-21 08:41:40

Urmstongran

The change of tax code is the main reason according to a friend in the business. Not Brexit. Although some want to use that handy peg.

I don't think you've bothered to read the thread, Ug. A page or so ago I posted the letter from the RHA to the government. It lists their analysis of the causes. It includes Brexit. No doubt gathered from a few more sources than just your friend in the business.

The change in the tax code only applies to agency drivers, who count as self employed. My DP was a logistics manager for 40+ years in companies of various sizes. They only employed agency drivers if temporarily short staffed. Have employment practices altered radically since he retired?

Ali08 Mon 30-Aug-21 15:01:29

It's like houses!
All those old, unused houses!
Why not add incentives to people that are unemployed, put them with tradesmen who know what they're doing and teach them how to do up old houses to make them rentable again, instead of blimmin new houses that are popping up everywhere, with no cupboard space, tiny rooms and thin walls!!
They used to give incentives to people on the dole, to learn trades.

JaneJudge Mon 30-Aug-21 16:03:11

Changes to IR35 are proving a problem for lots of 'other' self employed professionals too.