Gransnet forums

News & politics

Reintroducing Imperial measures…..

(296 Posts)
MayBee70 Fri 17-Sep-21 00:10:51

Please tell me the government aren’t planning to do this and it’s just a joke…..

ayse Fri 17-Sep-21 08:20:56

As a sewing enthusiast, I think in inches but buy in metres. Measuring in inches is so much easier and my brain knows what 5/8ths looks like. Pints are my go to. Having said all that, there is no benefit to anyone in official reversion.

As for pub measures, if they want to put symbols back on glasses go ahead. The beer tastes the same and as long as a full measure is provided, I’m happy.

NannyJan53 Fri 17-Sep-21 08:21:00

Metric is so simple. I cannot understand why anyone uses the Imperial system. Way back in the 70's children were taught Metric, but we still confuse the issue by using Imperial. Just why??

Same as Decimal money. Much easier to add up in 10's rather than 12's.

EkwaNimitee Fri 17-Sep-21 08:22:55

We did once try weighing babies in kilos. My children were born in the late sixties and their birth weight and subsequent checks were announced in kilos. It went down like a lead balloon with us mothers who always wanted a ‘translation’. I don’t know how long they continued with it but it was obviously abandoned before some of you young things had yours!

MaizieD Fri 17-Sep-21 08:23:23

Urmstongran

Which is why you voted Remain MaizieD and I voted Leave.
?

You mean I voted remain because I'm not mind bogglingly stupid? hmm

Urmstongran Fri 17-Sep-21 08:25:53

You always have to descend to insults MaizieD. You must be het up. I shan’t report you. I prefer to let your meanness stay on the thread so others can read your cattiness.

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 08:26:55

I read the several years ago Johnson said we shouldn't be forcing people to use the measures of Napoleon. (No, really)

So instead we can use the system devised by the Sumerians in pre biblical times.

You honestly couldn't make this stuff up.

Urmstongran Fri 17-Sep-21 08:32:33

Can we have the little lion back on our eggs too? Was that an EU regulation?

Grammaretto Fri 17-Sep-21 08:34:39

My generation has had the worst of it.
I'm 70+
I learned imperial but didn't know it was called that.
I thought that was hard.
Bring back hands and feet.

I remember trying to buy a pair of jeans in C&A in 1990s for my DD who was aged 9 and she wasn't with me..
The clothes were on rails marked by age - so far so good.
Then by height in centimetres - not very easy
then by waist size in inches - help!!.

I bought a pink pair as I liked the colour and they were perfect.

Tizliz Fri 17-Sep-21 08:34:45

It is impossible to go completely metric. Our engineering workshop is stock with imperial tools which will not wear out for many years and tooling imported from USA is imperial. It is getting harder to buy things like screws in imperial and I spent a frustrating time looking for a particular size just this week - but that is how the product was designed (found screws on e-bay, bit expensive though).

JaneJudge Fri 17-Sep-21 08:36:46

Zoejory, our friends had a baby last week and they told us the babies weight in kilograms so we had to google it grin

GrandmaKT Fri 17-Sep-21 08:37:46

Why have we never fully implemented the metric system? I was taught it at school, but we are still using miles and pounds, stone etc. The metric system is so much easier, we should have gone with it years ago. (I say this admitting to still thinking in feet and inches and stone for weight/height).
As for temperature, why does the Daily Mail insist on using fahrenheit? It means nothing to me. Are they actually pandering to American readers?

Esspee Fri 17-Sep-21 08:39:15

I am in my 70’s and must live in a parallel universe. While in primary school we were taught in imperial measurements, by secondary school everything changed to metric which was so much simpler especially for science. I think in kilos, metres, litres etc. my babies were weighed using metric scales though the medical staff also told you what that “translated to in old measurements” if you were interested.
Only the road signs never caught up, goodness knows why, which means that I still think of distances in miles though just to confuse things further in Scotland distances are often quoted in minutes.?

Urmstongran Fri 17-Sep-21 08:40:46

And all our speed road signs are still in m.p.h.! Kilometres in Europe.
?

Urmstongran Fri 17-Sep-21 08:41:36

X posts Espee!

MaizieD Fri 17-Sep-21 08:42:58

There was no reason why we couldn't have retained the crown mark on glasses all along. It just wouldn't have been the mark certifying the amount in the glass.

www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2007/05/09/Tories-claim-EU-crown-pint-victory

The disappearance of the lions had nothing whatsoever to do with the EU.

JaneJudge Fri 17-Sep-21 08:43:00

Lions on eggs

Urmstongran Fri 17-Sep-21 08:45:02

Oh good! They’re probably on the box of the Buford Browns we buy when at home. I’d forgotten. Thank you!
?

JaneJudge Fri 17-Sep-21 08:45:05

Taken two minutes ago, delivered on Tuesday. The lions never disappeared did they?

JaneJudge Fri 17-Sep-21 08:46:17

I must admit I usually buy a tray from the farm shop as they are cheaper but I'm sure they still have a crown and Lion on (they are a proper free range butchery and farm though)

Galaxy Fri 17-Sep-21 08:47:11

What do the lions mean.

Visgir1 Fri 17-Sep-21 08:48:02

I was a generation who was taught Metric as it was due in,that was in the 1970's My school like many others taught both metric and imperial.
I'm 66 and I don't think imperial, but can do it.
It's too late now to change back now and why do it, cost a fortune!

Petera Fri 17-Sep-21 08:50:45

sunseeker

As far as I am aware this won't a compulsory change - if anyone wants to continue using metric they can. It is merely allowing shops to use imperial if they wish, why is anyone getting so het up about it

It's a tradings standards issue. Businesses need to be able to show that that they're delivering the correct measurement of whatever they are selling. It just makes it more complicated if two different standards are running side-by side.

JaneJudge Fri 17-Sep-21 08:51:30

Galaxy

What do the lions mean.

it means the hens are vaccinated for salmonella and kept to/in a good standard.

Chestnut Fri 17-Sep-21 08:53:50

I prefer measurements in centimetres but they still show inches on many items on Amazon for instance. Very confusing when you're trying to compare items and they are different. I am happy to keep body weights in imperial but prefer decimal for weighing parcels and food. I also like miles when travelling. Our system is confusing because we are caught between two worlds!

Petera Fri 17-Sep-21 08:54:30

Esspee

I am in my 70’s and must live in a parallel universe. While in primary school we were taught in imperial measurements, by secondary school everything changed to metric which was so much simpler especially for science. I think in kilos, metres, litres etc. my babies were weighed using metric scales though the medical staff also told you what that “translated to in old measurements” if you were interested.
Only the road signs never caught up, goodness knows why, which means that I still think of distances in miles though just to confuse things further in Scotland distances are often quoted in minutes.?

There's a peculiar thing with the weather where we tend to use Fahrenheit for high temperatures and Celsius for low (although over the last few years Celsius for high also has become more common)