AUKUS

(213 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 17-Sep-21 09:42:42

Any thoughts on this new collaboration?

I like the name.

A for Australia
UK for our part
US for America

The French are furious after negotiating for 2 years with Australia to be unceremoniously dumped by them. The USA (Biden) will have greatly annoyed Macron.

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 14:29:08

To keep us safe there has to be equal distribution of nuclear power and that includes subs with nuclear capabilities.

Well, that's one way of looking at it.

Nuclear expansion hasn't been de rigeur for quite a while, in case you hadn't noticed.

Nothing to do with Tories, a lot to do with common sense. But a desire to see anybody who disagrees with you politically as being anti-Tory and pro-EU is very comfortable, I suppose. And naïve.

lemongrove Fri 17-Sep-21 14:29:25

Nope Aleg allied nuclear subs ( the US, and the UK and Australia) will have more than China ( not sure, but imagine the numbers the US have are roughly the same as China so far.)

lemongrove Fri 17-Sep-21 14:31:54

? you are an SNP supporter Aleg so bound to disagree, and are pro EU, so are hardly going to agree on much politically, but I had thought that even you would see the sense of AUKUS.

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 14:34:31

Bit of a comprehension issue here, I suspect.

Number of nuclear subs Australia currently have - 0

Number of nuclear subs China currently have - 14

Number of nuclear subs Russia currently have - 45

Number of nuclear subs the US currently have - 72.

Number of nuclear subs the UK have - 11

Australia's one or two won't matter any more than a gnat's bite to the Chinese. Send one or two of the US ones over to the China Sea if we have to. This is to make the Aussies feel important, that's all.

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 14:35:51

lemongrove

? you are an SNP supporter Aleg so bound to disagree, and are pro EU, so are hardly going to agree on much politically, but I had thought that even you would see the sense of AUKUS.

SNP supporter ???

Yes, that makes all my views on everything else completely invalid. ??

lemongrove Fri 17-Sep-21 14:37:31

If you say so Aleg ?

My comment was that we don’t have any political common ground.

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 14:37:56

Is there a Scottish variant of Godwin's Law?

lemongrove Fri 17-Sep-21 14:48:42

Alegrias1

Bit of a comprehension issue here, I suspect.

Number of nuclear subs Australia currently have - 0

Number of nuclear subs China currently have - 14

Number of nuclear subs Russia currently have - 45

Number of nuclear subs the US currently have - 72.

Number of nuclear subs the UK have - 11

Australia's one or two won't matter any more than a gnat's bite to the Chinese. Send one or two of the US ones over to the China Sea if we have to. This is to make the Aussies feel important, that's all.

Wrong numbers there Aleg go and google again.
The US have less than 20 subs with nuclear missile capabilities (Trident)
( according to two sources) although they have many subs.
We have 6.Perhaps we will all have to google again as it does depend where you look.?
Whatever the ‘true’ numbers Australia feel they need them and have asked for help to make them and we and the US are happy to, it’s a great deal for us!

maddyone Fri 17-Sep-21 14:49:20

Interesting discussion.

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 14:51:52

Maybe they were keeping them secret from the writers of the pages you were looking at. Probably an SNP plot.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Sep-21 14:58:32

A nuclear submarine is powered by nuclear fusion

Calling a submarine nuclear does not mean that they are all armed with nuclear warheads.

FannyCornforth Fri 17-Sep-21 15:01:43

FannyCornforth

Better than USUKA! grin

Is no one going to laugh at my joke? sad

USUKA - you sucker!! Geddit?!

Oh never mind.
Don’t give up the day job, Fanny…

Lucca Fri 17-Sep-21 15:02:01

Alegrias1

I'll just repeat what I heard Farage say about this last night on the Channel That Must Not Be Named.

That our real friends in the world all speak English.

We've gone backwards, but never mind, the alliance to stick it to the foreigners has got a good name.

He didn’t say that did he ? ?

Zoejory Fri 17-Sep-21 15:02:29

FannyCornforth

FannyCornforth

Better than USUKA! grin

Is no one going to laugh at my joke? sad

USUKA - you sucker!! Geddit?!

Oh never mind.
Don’t give up the day job, Fanny…

I found it rather amusing, FannyCornforth smile

Callistemon Fri 17-Sep-21 15:05:14

FannyCornforth

But wasn’t it awful when Biden forgot Morrison’s name?

Everyone forgets his name, even Australians because he's universally known as ScoMo!

lemongrove Fri 17-Sep-21 15:08:01

GrannyGravy13

A nuclear submarine is powered by nuclear fusion

Calling a submarine nuclear does not mean that they are all armed with nuclear warheads.

Exactly!
The US have some subs ( they are all nuclear) that carry ballistic missiles, but they don’t have 72 of them!
Who knows how many China actually have, we only know the amount that they admit to.

Callistemon Fri 17-Sep-21 15:14:59

If China is seen as a threat in the South Pacific (and anyone who has travelled there will note that their presence has increased) why on earth did the Queensland Premier lease an Australian island to a Chinese company which is now erecting fences and stopped Australians accessing national parkland and property?
www.news.com.au/finance/business/mp-george-christensen-slams-annastacia-palaszczuk-over-leasing-of-keswick-island-to-china-company/news-story/b195f538ef8a35f4dd55eff5ad0fd7f4

The increasingly unpopular Annastacia Palaszczuk and her government make some very bizarre decisions.

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 15:28:00

Lucca

Alegrias1

I'll just repeat what I heard Farage say about this last night on the Channel That Must Not Be Named.

We've gone backwards, but never mind, the alliance to stick it to the foreigners has got a good name.

He didn’t say that did he ? ?

Yes he did Lucca. I put it on for a few minutes - know thine enemy and all that - but had to switch off after that. About 7:30 pm on Wednesday night.

growstuff Fri 17-Sep-21 15:33:51

Alegrias1

Hah! Is that the same English, which is basically a Germanic dialect? Before those pesky French came along and introduced loads of other words.

Summerlove Fri 17-Sep-21 15:43:14

Alegrias1

^To keep us safe there has to be equal distribution of nuclear power and that includes subs with nuclear capabilities.^

Well, that's one way of looking at it.

Nuclear expansion hasn't been de rigeur for quite a while, in case you hadn't noticed.

Nothing to do with Tories, a lot to do with common sense. But a desire to see anybody who disagrees with you politically as being anti-Tory and pro-EU is very comfortable, I suppose. And naïve.

Sounds like we should all start carrying guns too.
After all, america does it. Can’t let them take over.

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 15:53:03

A nuclear submarine is powered by nuclear fusion.

Really? Has anyone told the UKAEA?

Callistemon Fri 17-Sep-21 15:59:06

They are powered by nuclear fission.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Sep-21 16:01:40

Apologies for typo fission obviously not fusion.

Callistemon Fri 17-Sep-21 16:04:06

That's ok!
(But quite important - your punishment is to be helicoptered out to HMS Vigil.)

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Sep-21 16:07:26

Callistemon

That's ok!
(But quite important - your punishment is to be helicoptered out to HMS Vigil.)

I couldn’t even get to the lower decks of HMS Belfast or the Royal Yacht Britannia without feeling uncomfortable grin