Gransnet forums

News & politics

Petrol queues reported now on BBC news

(718 Posts)
ayse Fri 24-Sep-21 12:10:21

Just watching the news showing people queuing for petrol. Apparently ‘the supply chain is under intense pressure”. BP is prioritising motorways and major routes. Deliveries are unpredictable and the army may be involved.

More talk about changing visa regs temporarily.

Callistemon Mon 04-Oct-21 13:27:54

Ok! We've not had any lately, too wet and we have to dig it out and bag it up.

Back to fuel.
We did know of someone who made his own fuel for his tractors from old cooking oil.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 05-Oct-21 09:25:13

The forces are delivering fuel to the filling station in my road. They have been having deliveries as usual throughout the delivery problems.

MaizieD Tue 05-Oct-21 09:44:39

GrannyGravy13

The forces are delivering fuel to the filling station in my road. They have been having deliveries as usual throughout the delivery problems.

I obviously don't know who organised that but the words 'piss ups' and 'breweries' come to mind grin

JaneJudge Tue 05-Oct-21 09:51:55

Aren't they supposed to be filling up the places that have shortages?

It just ticks a box doesn't it?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 05-Oct-21 10:14:58

I guess as it’s a small filling station it frees up the experienced regular drivers to fulfil the larger bunker stations on major roads.

silverlining48 Tue 05-Oct-21 10:36:33

After 11 dry days I managed to get petrol yesterday afternoon at last. I took the opportunity to go to the hospital 3 miles away for an X-ray but was immediately caught up in a massive traffic jam. I never got there but even so, trying to get home took two hours. I am steeling myself to try again today but dreading it.
Living in the south east isn’t all roses. Well it is if you are a city slicker but that’s another post. I am just relieved to have petrol at long last; it’s my dd birthday tomorrow and now we can see her. So off to the hospital I go. Wish me luck!

MayBeMaw Tue 05-Oct-21 10:36:49

Today’s DT referred to it as the “Effing crisis” (sharp intake of breath) -EFFing as in Energy, Food, Fuel.
Energy, Food and Fuel” shortages. But it also works as an acronym for just about every ramshackle area of British life you care to examine: fisticuffs on forecourts over effing petrol, flare-ups on public transport over effing masks, rodents feasting on effing supermarket croissants

Well said, I thought

MaizieD Tue 05-Oct-21 11:00:38

rodents feasting on effing supermarket croissants

According to a piece in the Guardian the other day, the effing rodents, suffering from food shortages when so many offices were closed, started working their way up through the building's waste systems and emerging into the toilet bowls. They've also taken to doing this in people's homes. Undeterred by the water in the 'trap'; they're good swimmers grin

Urmstongran Tue 05-Oct-21 11:01:12

Perhaps if the media stopped inflating every single minor issue we all might feel a bit happier. We read & watch and then worry or fume.

Amazingly some people I know don’t engage much with the news. They shrug and say ‘well until the next GE we can’t change anything and in the meantime the world still turns, the sun shines and the grass still grows’.

They seem happy enough, just getting on with their family life, seeing friends, doing their hobbies. Maybe they have it right?

MayBeMaw Tue 05-Oct-21 11:01:25

A very good reason to keep both the loo seat AND lid down ???

Calendargirl Tue 05-Oct-21 11:06:32

Urmstongran

Perhaps if the media stopped inflating every single minor issue we all might feel a bit happier. We read & watch and then worry or fume.

Amazingly some people I know don’t engage much with the news. They shrug and say ‘well until the next GE we can’t change anything and in the meantime the world still turns, the sun shines and the grass still grows’.

They seem happy enough, just getting on with their family life, seeing friends, doing their hobbies. Maybe they have it right?

Exactly. Sometimes ‘A little knowledge is a dangerous thing’

GrannyGravy13 Tue 05-Oct-21 11:06:47

Urmstongran I think they have the right idea.

There is absolutely nothing to be done (other than email/write to MP’s) until the next election.

I am not a Pollyanna despite being called that on here, we have just got to live our best lives, enjoy our friends and family and cut the grass as and when needed.

MerylStreep Tue 05-Oct-21 11:08:10

Urmstongran

That would be me. La La land ?

MaizieD Tue 05-Oct-21 11:08:55

Urmstongran

That's just how fascists get into power, Ug. They rely on the oblivion of most of the population to what is going on.

Such a shame that the press try to spoil their game, isn't it?

3nanny6 Tue 05-Oct-21 12:13:17

Yes cars on the forecourt of the petrol station yesterday, people
actually filling tanks, Great I thought at last let me put some fuel in. Sighs soon found all the pumps were only putting out diesel all unleaded still dry.
Two petrol stations were the same yesterday.
So for me the wait goes on.

Whatever anyone wants to say you can but for me in the South the horrific problem still exists no fuel.

Daisend1 Tue 05-Oct-21 12:28:51

Any suggestions ?

silverlining48 Tue 05-Oct-21 14:38:59

3 nanny6 have faith. This time yesterday I had no clue that by the afternoon I would have petrol at long last, but I did. It was a joyous moment and hope maybe today might be your day.

Sarnia Tue 05-Oct-21 15:40:01

I was searching for fuel on my way to Tesco and checking petrol stations to see if they were open. All shut. On the roundabout before entering the Tesco site there is a huge sign saying the Tesco petrol station is shut but the store is open. I turned onto the access road as I had primarily gone out for food only to see the end of a short queue of cars getting petrol! Bit sneaky!

varian Wed 06-Oct-21 19:49:22

Why should any of you be rejoicing when you can access petrol - something which was freely available before the brexit nonsense devasted our country?.

MayBee70 Wed 06-Oct-21 21:23:39

I think we’ve been conditioned to rejoice in the simplest of things these days. It’s frighteningly Orwellian….

Lincslass Wed 06-Oct-21 21:34:55

varian

Why should any of you be rejoicing when you can access petrol - something which was freely available before the brexit nonsense devasted our country?.

Petrol crisis: How an extra five litres of petrol helped cause the country to grind to a halt
'Just-in-time' supply chains can help keep costs down, but a sudden upsurge in demand can leave them unable to cope, leading to shortages.

Margiknot Wed 06-Oct-21 22:40:56

I just thought I would say I saw ( early this morning) an army tanker ( the little type the army use) heading up the motorway in the direction of the local oil depot. It gives me hope the situation may be about to improve- although of course it could have been going anywhere with anything! ( it did have the flammable liquid sign -so wasn’t water!) ?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-Oct-21 04:11:17

Still no petrol where I live.

vegansrock Thu 07-Oct-21 07:01:05

Maybe all those people just getting on with their lives oblivious to the news manage to avoid huge energy price rises, shortages of petrol or medicines, collapse in the supply chain, difficulties in getting a doctors’ appointment or nhs queues, nowhere to get support for an elderly relative or a family member with a mental health crisis, - no they just “get on with their lives” - do they never wonder or question how such things occur?

MaizieD Thu 07-Oct-21 07:28:33

Lincslass

varian

Petrol crisis: How an extra five litres of petrol helped cause the country to grind to a halt
'Just-in-time' supply chains can help keep costs down, but a sudden upsurge in demand can leave them unable to cope, leading to shortages.

Nice try, Lincslass, but it was a handful of dry petrol stations, caused by a shortage of tanker drivers (partly caused by Brexit), that came before the 'extra 5 litres'.