Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does anyone here believe, as I do, that Johnson is finished (and I am sure HE does know himself)

(245 Posts)
Kali2 Sat 25-Sep-21 18:48:07

All the signs are there, no?

eazybee Sat 25-Sep-21 20:16:01

No.

Calendargirl Sat 25-Sep-21 20:31:12

No.

MerylStreep Sat 25-Sep-21 20:39:28

Only in your dreams. Wishful thinking.

MaizieD Sat 25-Sep-21 20:41:27

I don't know. There was some talk of unhappiness in the back benches and that the recent reshuffle was an attempt to keep them all 'keen' (i.e in hopes of promotion) and stop them rebelling over the removal of the £20 'uplift' from UC. The red wall MPs will feel that, as many of them are in areas of deprivation.

How they will cope with Sunak's inevitable austerity budget will be interesting. Council budgets are set to be pruned - levelling up money isn't as generous as it is meant to look...

And if there is a beer and turkey shortage at Christmas... well, anything could happen.

Witzend Sat 25-Sep-21 20:43:47

Talking of beer shortages, MaizieD……

Parsley3 Sat 25-Sep-21 20:47:45

No, but I am encouraged by the fact that he is talking of the need to grow up.

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 20:47:46

It's not Johnson or reactions to what he says or even the public we need to look to for signs.
We would need to see signs of no confidence in the Cabinet or other Tory MPs, or a leader could signal that they may resign.

I haven't seen any signs yet but admit I wasn't observing very closely.

Kali2 Sat 25-Sep-21 20:47:51

Interesting responses, thanks. Many of the people I know who voted for Brexit, and supported Johnson's appointment - have now totally turned. And it seems much of the Tory and tabloid Press.

But yes, I did not expect Brexiters and Johnson supporters on GN to do so, or to state so.

Wait and see.

Zoejory Sat 25-Sep-21 20:54:22

No, I can't see any signs at all.

And I'm not a Brexit or Johnson supporter

However I am capable of realising that any leader must be having a rather wretched time at present.

Waiting and seeing is as we can do

And we still have a while to wait

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 20:58:20

I'm not a Brexit or Johnson supporter.

It makes no difference if you can view a situation objectively whether signs are visible or not, and I cannot see any signs, sorry.

lemongrove Sat 25-Sep-21 21:01:13

Witzend

Brilliant ?

MayBeMaw Sat 25-Sep-21 21:07:05

Witzend

I also posted this earlier today (on the petrol thread)
Great minds and all that…….

vegansrock Sat 25-Sep-21 21:12:50

We are in for a winter of discontent almost certainly , but if the alternative is Michael Gove or Liz Truss, then better the devil you know springs to mind.

Urmstongran Sat 25-Sep-21 21:15:47

No. Mind you getting Brexit done, a pandemic and now a perfect storm brewing - if it were me I’d throw in the towel!

That said, it’s the Labour Party conference in Brighton now. A chance for them to shine and perhaps impress us all with what they would do. Or maybe not.

Many think Boris is underwhelming.
The Labour shadow front bench ‘don’t impress me much’ to quote Shania Twain!

So, no.

Kali2 Sat 25-Sep-21 21:23:42

Flu season and cold weather approaching - winter of discontent ahead for sure. Oh and I totally agree re Gove or Truss... or any of them, really. Perhaps Sunak?

We know Labour is un-electable at the moment, and that is tragic and all of its own making. Conference proves that- hellbet on fighting each other instead of Tories! But that does not mean Johnson is not finished.

Running out of petrol and some things in shops is one thing - when we run out of chemicals for water purification (soon), and cancer treating isotopes...and essential utilities like gas and electricty, just as winter is coming + the flu season and shortages in hospitals and care homes, etc, etc, is another.

I do believe the Tories are a-turning- including the Cabinet. Wait and see. And if you don't see the signs, perhaps you should go to Durham ;) lol.

Kali2 Sat 25-Sep-21 21:24:06

OOps I meant Barnard Castle !

Zoejory Sat 25-Sep-21 21:32:34

Aren't comments like these wheeled out all the time?

We weren't going to leave the EU. Many posters on social media were convinced. Boris would never be leader. Wrong again. Corbyn would win the election. Nope.

People are regretting their votes? So what? Means nothing at all. I know a couple of Remainers who wish they'd voted for Brexit! So what to them as well. Can't do anything about it now.

At this moment most of us can get petrol. We can get food. Possibly not all foods we're used to be nobody's going to starve

It's just another moment in time.

Jaxjacky Sat 25-Sep-21 21:33:35

No, I don’t se any indications.

Urmstongran Sat 25-Sep-21 21:37:26

Keir Starmer was to some the messiah for the Labour Party. He’s been a big disappointment to most. Angela Rayner is the darling of the unions. Her star is rising thanks to them.

That alone should see Boris’ popularity soar.

Kali2 Sat 25-Sep-21 21:39:16

Zoej '' I know a couple of Remainers who wish they'd voted for Brexit! So what to them as well. Can't do anything about it now.''

what reasons do they give for wishing they had voted Brexit. I truly would love to know, especially in the current circumstances. Please.

Brexit is not 'done'- not done at all. So there is plenty that can be done, I can assure you- to soften the current blows. Like free movement and immigration to fill the crucial vacancies we have in haulage and agriculture. But East Europeans who previously filled those jobs won't come to 'help' because the way they have been treated - unless they get much better wages, condtions and security- and respect.

Most of the effects of Brexit have not even happened yet- and even Johnson and Tories are begging the EU to give them more time. And it is clear big markets like the USA will just not happen either.

lemongrove Sat 25-Sep-21 21:47:13

Kali who is saying that we have run out of chemicals for water purification?
We haven’t run out of drugs ( for chemotherapy) either, or petrol, that was caused by panic buying due to the media.
We haven’t run out of gas, electricity or water supplies!
I think that you are doing the self same thing ( in spades) by comments like these, as the media do, by inducing panic.
The flu season may be much better this year, older people will be triple jabbed by then.

Zoejory Sat 25-Sep-21 21:48:47

My High Court Judge Uncle had voted to Remains.
However the awful snobbishness that has filled our land has made him question his decision, If he had another chance it would be Brexit for him

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58186519

Really interesting article about it. all

Kandinsky Sat 25-Sep-21 21:51:56

Op.

I hate to break it to you, but we’ve already left the EU.

Casdon Sat 25-Sep-21 21:53:15

Why is Labour relevant to this discussion - it’s a rabbit hole? The Tories are in power for ages yet, so if Boris goes it isn’t anything to do with Keir Starmer, it’s to do with whether the Tories think they can win with Boris in charge, or whether he’s had his day. I do think they care a lot more about public opinion more than people are assuming - let’s be honest, he didn’t get the job in the first place based on his competence but because he was popular with the public. ,

Kali2 Sat 25-Sep-21 21:54:10

Lemon, these are serious predictions based on the realities on the ground- stores are very small, with a short shelf life. Other 'simple' things like blood test tubes, etc.

Major distributors for Sainsbury’s and Asda gone bust due to HGV shortage - 1000 jobs lost. There are real issues with distribution which are a about the get much worse. This is not scare mongering.