Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour party conference, is no-one else interested?

(505 Posts)
foxie48 Wed 29-Sep-21 08:55:10

tbh I expected a few posts about what's been happening other than the ones about Angela Rayner's language but none have appeared. So what do you think of the show so far? Andy McDonald's resignation, does this signal open warfare from the left? Internal party reforms despite Momentum's objection, does this signal the end of the left's influence? Starmer's declaration that winning the next election is more important than focusing on party unity. Is this a sign that the Labour party is moving on from the Corbyn era and Brexit? Some suggestion that the left wing might start a new party? So where do you think the party is heading?

MaizieD Wed 29-Sep-21 13:54:32

Ilovecheese

BBC journalist still banging on about Angela Rayner 's words.

Just obeying orders from Conservative Headquarters grin

TopsyIrene06 Wed 29-Sep-21 13:54:50

Whitewave. Spot on.

Ilovecheese Wed 29-Sep-21 13:55:48

I liked the bits about giving children access to music and encouraging education in the arts, which is so important to our economy.

foxie48 Wed 29-Sep-21 13:59:29

Ilovecheese

BBC journalist still banging on about Angela Rayner 's words.

Yes and that's why she needs to learn to moderate her language, she should want people to focus on what she says not how she says it. I've heard her speak on the radio a couple of times in the past few days and thought she spoke well. Despite what people have said on another thread, we don't all want posh boys with plums in their mouth but a little gravitas does go a long way especially when it's mixed up with some sensible plain speaking. She may not have apologised but I for one, hope she's learned a lesson.

nadateturbe Wed 29-Sep-21 14:13:22

Kandinsky

*I had music lessons with Fat Boy Slim*

Our future is safe.

Taken out of context. It was actually amusing.

Hecklers are so annoying. But it was a very small minority.
Kier's speech was good and promised much. He comes across as caring. I do wish though that he sounded more interesting and passionate.
They can't do worse than Tories so I don't know why voters don't give them a chance.

foxie48 Wed 29-Sep-21 14:14:30

Missed listening to much of the speech live as I had a "face to face" appointment with my GP (yes really!) but just read of his commitment to "make Brexit work". Well thank goodness for a bit of realism and I'm so glad he mentioned that. I amy not have wanted to leave the EU but I certainly want us to make the best of it now we have. From what I've read and seen I think he's made a good job of it.

PippaZ Wed 29-Sep-21 14:31:54

nadateturbe

Kandinsky

I had music lessons with Fat Boy Slim

Our future is safe.

Taken out of context. It was actually amusing.

Hecklers are so annoying. But it was a very small minority.
Kier's speech was good and promised much. He comes across as caring. I do wish though that he sounded more interesting and passionate.
They can't do worse than Tories so I don't know why voters don't give them a chance.

I thought he did sound both interesting and passionate. I think it is the contrast to Bozo the Clown that makes it seem to have less wizzes and bangs.

Leaders do not need to be able to entertain. They need to engage, which I think Starmer did, but they also need to be trusted.

Johnson simply cannot do that. Those who like him as a leader tend to say they do it, "in spite of the fact they cannot trust him".

Now we need to analyse what Starmer said rather than the way he said it smile.

Shelbel Wed 29-Sep-21 14:35:31

They will never win an election with their woke agenda.

Parsley3 Wed 29-Sep-21 14:44:03

I listened to the whole speech and I liked what he had to say. His reference to what Labour did when last in power made me stop and think. By the end of New Labour, I was so disgusted that they had morphed into Tory lite that I didn’t vote for them again. It was a pity that Brown was PM for such a short time as he would probably have restored my faith in the party. Starmer came to politics late in life after a distinguished career. I am sufficiently convinced that he gives a damn about the country that I will consider voting Labour at the next opportunity. I don’t require a politician to entertain me just to convince me that they are serious about the position they hold.

MaizieD Wed 29-Sep-21 14:44:22

Shelbel

What woke agenda would that be? Do clarify...

Kali2 Wed 29-Sep-21 14:52:39

The hecklers from the Left were shameful. Even when Starmer was talking about his mother's suffering and death.

Who was that large nasty angry woman in orange- vitriol and Covid pouring out of her mouth all over delegates. What a spectacle and how it will be used by the Press and the enemies of Labour. Shameful.

PippaZ Wed 29-Sep-21 14:56:04

Shelbel

What does that mean - other than you read newspaper headlines?

PippaZ Wed 29-Sep-21 14:56:34

Sorry Maisie. Snap.

Kali2 Wed 29-Sep-21 15:05:37

That woman shrieker in orange should be named and shamed!

Rosina Wed 29-Sep-21 15:08:10

I read my newspaper today with growing alarm - it seems that Rosie Driffield is now marginalised for having said that 'only women have a cervix'. Keir Starmer declared that this is wrong. Where is he hiding his?

Dinahmo Wed 29-Sep-21 15:17:31

Kandinsky

You’re right westendgirl, I really need to listen to the entire speech before I comment. It just made a laugh as Fat Boy Slim is hardly Beethoven or Mozart ( even though I loved FBS back in the day )

Slightly snobbish I think

Dinahmo Wed 29-Sep-21 15:18:06

Anniebach

The far left waved their red cards

Only a handful

PippaZ Wed 29-Sep-21 15:22:04

I have just seen a journalist complaining about the number of words Starmer used, as opposed to Boris winning elections on three words. I rather think that would explain why we are in the mess we are in now.

All I can say is there is an audience for a well-explained programme and one for a three-word chant. You pays your money and takes your choice; it's probably not hard to guess who goes where.

PippaZ Wed 29-Sep-21 15:25:57

Dinahmo

Kandinsky

You’re right westendgirl, I really need to listen to the entire speech before I comment. It just made a laugh as Fat Boy Slim is hardly Beethoven or Mozart ( even though I loved FBS back in the day )

Slightly snobbish I think

Completely missed the point rather than snobbish. Starmer was at the same school as Fatboy Slim. Neither Beethoven or Mozart were there at the time.

Dinahmo Wed 29-Sep-21 15:34:28

I read the first 30 minutes of his speech verbatim on line on the Guardian. I then watched the rest on tv. I was very impressed with KS.

People have complained that they didn't know what he stood for - now they can find out.

I thought he was passionate at times both when talking about his background and his ideas for the future.

I would have thought that his ideas on crime would go down well with the country as a whole.

His thoughts on education were spot on. Bringing drama back into schools should help young people gaining in confidence.

Taxing private schools is a good idea.

To me, the content of his speech was about making life better for the young, the workers and the elderly.

The phrase "Making Brexit Work" should unite leavers and remainers. Despite what several GNers think, most of us Remainers accept what has happened. There's little that we can do about it. By pointing out the errors doesn't make us bitter, or sore loosers. We are trying to make people understand what has gone wrong and that things need to change.

I think the speech also showed that despite being from a working class background, KS reached the top of his profession and would make a very capable PM. Unlike the present incumbent who hasn't held down a job for very long and is incapable of doing his current job.

Ilovecheese Wed 29-Sep-21 15:34:56

I was just a tad slightly concerned about the emphasis on work and hard work. We have such a low wage and insecure jobs market at the moment. I do agree with the green agenda and hopefully that leading to well paid jobs, but the poorly paid jobs we have now, which have been so vital over the last 18 months or so will still need doing. The green economy will take time to get going so I think that in the interim poverty must be tackled as a matter of some urgency.
I was disappointed that he doesn't think sick pay should be at the rate of a living wage and that the minimum wage should be higher.
Overall though a vision at last.

Dinahmo Wed 29-Sep-21 15:39:43

PippaZ

I have just seen a journalist complaining about the number of words Starmer used, as opposed to Boris winning elections on three words. I rather think that would explain why we are in the mess we are in now.

All I can say is there is an audience for a well-explained programme and one for a three-word chant. You pays your money and takes your choice; it's probably not hard to guess who goes where.

If you are referring to the Daily Politics journo, he was talking about how few people will watch or read the whole speech and that a few snappy phrases will be needed to social media.
eg "Making Brexit Work"

PippaZ Wed 29-Sep-21 15:49:49

Not it was Sky news Dinahmo.

PippaZ Wed 29-Sep-21 15:50:05

not No

MayBee70 Wed 29-Sep-21 15:58:47

Kali2

That woman shrieker in orange should be named and shamed!

One of the hecklers used to be in George Galloway party. Not sure what she was wearing.