Gransnet forums

News & politics

Police that can’t be trusted

(210 Posts)
nanna8 Fri 01-Oct-21 12:16:22

How totally disgusting that a policeman should murder a young woman and what a disgusting response from the met. How dare they ask people to check on whether an officer is legit? Not the responsibility of the public but theirs and theirs alone. They need to sack the bosses and that is what would have happened here. It makes me sick to think of how they knew beforehand that this creature had prior convictions.

AmberSpyglass Thu 07-Oct-21 06:58:42

I have relatives who are in the police. They do absolutely nothing to inspire my confidence in the force as a whole.

foxie48 Thu 07-Oct-21 10:00:36

LauraNorder

Many years Foxie since Orlin was a police officer. There were rotten apples even then but nothing as horrific as recent events.
Fellow officers would weed out and deal with the bad apples with the attitude that a bad cop discredited them all.
We were talking today and reflected that decent young people would be reluctant to join the force with today’s attitude to the police, leaving openings for the less than decent and dedicated.
I sincerely hope we’re wrong about that.
Morale must be at rock bottom. A very public inquiry and complete overhaul of the Met is probably long overdue in order to restore public confidence and police morale.

How do we know that rotten apples are not weeded out now? You won't hear about that will you? The Police don't go to the media and say we got rid of officer X or Y because we found out he wasn't suitable for the job. I think your comment about "decent young people not wanting to join the force" says it all. So the young people who joined and trained to be police in 2020 are not "decent"? I do agree with your last paragraph though except I think the public enquiry is required to find out exactly what happened, who knew what, how did Couzens find other officers who shared his perverted thoughts and what measures can be taken to ensure it doesn't happen again? IMV it's no accident that that we seem to get "pockets" of perversion in organisations. It has happened in children's homes, care homes etc but we don't automatically assume that everyone who works in those areas are corrupt and perverted. At least I don't!

Fennel Thu 07-Oct-21 12:22:07

For some reason, after reading this thread I thought of a saying:
"It takes a thief to catch a thief".

Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-Oct-21 16:41:55

The BBC are reporting that up to 50 police officers contacted Patsy Stevenson after her arrest.

Sarnia Tue 07-Dec-21 09:21:25

The 2 'police officers' meant to be guarding the murdered bodies of Nicole Smallman and Biba Henry have been jailed for 2 years and 9 months. They sent their vile photos and remarks to 2 other What's App groups. The A Team group consisted of 41 other police officers and the other, with a name too demeaning to women for me to type, consisted of officers and friends. The Met should be very concerned about that. I respect he girls mother, Mina Smallman, for the way she conducts herself with dignity when she must be hurting like hell inside.

sodapop Tue 07-Dec-21 09:44:36

I agree Sarnia that poor woman having to endure all this on top of losing her daughters. Such terrible grief.

MissAdventure Tue 07-Dec-21 10:55:48

Not very long sentences, really.
No surprise about that, though.

bikergran Tue 07-Dec-21 19:19:56

Think a good 5 yrs would have made them think a bit more! leopard n spots come to mind, how many times prior may they have done disgusting things like this.

Hope it will stay on their records for ever.

Shameful and disgusting of them.

MissAdventure Tue 07-Dec-21 19:50:21

It really is despicable that they can't even respect the dead.
5 years sounds right.