Gransnet forums

News & politics

Now is the winter of Britain’s discontent

(261 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 15:57:09

Day after day there are articles like this in the worlds press.

Greta Sun 03-Oct-21 16:03:06

I thought Boris Johnson looked uncomfortable on the Andrew Marr show this morning. So he should. He repeated the claim that our economy is growing faster than in any G7 country. The fact of course is that we took a bigger hit than the others but that is just a boring detail so let's just skip it.

I've also learnt from him today that the UK is world-leading in logistics. Really? I tend to dismiss anything the PM says that includes 'world-leading'. Do we as a nation suffer from delusion of grandeur?

Kali2 Sun 03-Oct-21 16:03:57

I know- I watched it. And he was smirking, barely able to stop laughing. He is just sick.

MerylStreep Sun 03-Oct-21 16:11:19

Kali2

''to suit us where needed.''

for that to happen, is for those people to be prepared to work and live in unsecure conditions, bad conditions, no respect, and tons of hassle- very few will put up with that despite a high temporary salary- just to suit Brexiters who sent them packing.

The picture you paint is exactly what employees in Eastern Europe experience every day.
Do you know what a Bulgarian HGV driver earns. It’s a pittance.
A lot of them do the job in their own country because they can earn money through corruption.

Jillyjosie Sun 03-Oct-21 16:45:20

Where does that point about Bulgarian HGV drivers come from MerylStreep because I heard an interview on the radio the other day with Eastern European HGV drivers saying how well paid they were in Europe and how disgusting facilities were in the UK and they were happy enough to stay away.

Kali2 Sun 03-Oct-21 17:08:17

MerylStreep- what is your point here?

At least at home, they are ... at home! But most will choose to work in other parts of Europe, not too far from home, but with better conditions and salaries.

Kali2 Sun 03-Oct-21 17:09:06

Why would they come to the UM now?

Kali2 Sun 03-Oct-21 17:23:39

UK (oh why has this site not got an 'edit' option).

PippaZ Mon 04-Oct-21 09:58:29

You had me worried their Kali. I thought the "take our country back" lot had turned into the United Motherland!

Kali2 Mon 04-Oct-21 17:01:47

Us Grannies do seem to be very divided Pippa ;)

Kali2 Tue 05-Oct-21 14:05:01

Inflation is a massive concern for all and will probably eat up any salary increases and more. When Laura Kuensberg turns on Johnson, you know he is in trouble

fb.watch/8s1jZQ0qO5/