Gransnet forums

News & politics

Conservative party conference outcomes

(338 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Scones Sun 03-Oct-21 09:39:12

The PM has said "big, bold decisions" are needed" and it would be interesting to hear what Conservative voters are hoping for.

Kali2 Wed 06-Oct-21 15:23:45

lemongrove

rosie1959

Kali2

Will anyone, just anyone- irrespective of political persuasion or attitude to Brexit- believe Johnson and co that this diabolical mess we find ourselves in, was actually THEIR PLAN ALL ALONG.

Anyone?

In one word no
Brexit was always going to be a pain in the arse especially over the first few months/years
Covid has thrown a right spanner in any forward planning they didn’t expect to have to pay our a humongous amount of money just to keep us afloat
They couldn’t have planned for Coronavirus back in 2019

Spot on rosie ????

Wow you kept quiet on that one then? Why did you not warn us? Why did they all says there would be no downsides and only upsizes? Did they write this on a bus?

No, I don't think so.

Covid was and is a factor that did NOT help- that is for sure. But the vast majority of the real nasty issues the UK faces, is due to the kind of Brexit which the ERG pushed Johnson into.

And you do realise that Brexit has NOT been fully implemented yet? If the UK unilaterally goes for Art 16- then all hell will let lose.

Remember Raab- geography and all that. And essential utilities and services now in the hands of the very countries this would utterly alienate. If this is what you are advocating- then is it irresponsible and utter madness.

Kali2 Wed 06-Oct-21 15:25:33

Perfid Albion will feel very lonely and vulnerable then - to be sure.

Urmston, glad you enjoyed coffee. But be honest, coffee, time or no time- you had no intention to answer, oder?

Kali2 Wed 06-Oct-21 15:39:34

twitter.com/GMB/status/1445627079970590728?s=20

so well said.

And with hospital now having to ration cancer treatments due to lack of staff, and huge worries about shortage of key cancer treatment isotopes for chemo, and other essential drugs.

And still they support Johnson's cruel, destructive selfish, nasty clownish rhetoric. Unbelievable.

Alegrias1 Wed 06-Oct-21 15:48:34

I am not waiting for sunlit uplands what ever they are

Well man of the moment Mr Rees Mogg promised us sunlit uplands.

Doesn't age well, does it? 1:15 for those who can't bear to listen to the whole thing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlR1R_vxBB8 (with subtitles)

Dinahmo Wed 06-Oct-21 15:49:19

Kali2 France is now threatening to cut electricity supplies to the UK and Jersey over fishing licences. Apparently the UK govt are acting in breach of its obligations over fishing access to Channel waters.

lemongrove Wed 06-Oct-21 15:54:36

Unsure who you are ‘aiming’ at Kali but I have always said there would be difficulties in the first few years.You cannot undo 40 odd years worth of being in the EU bloc without teething problems.We will come through it, but yes it will take time.
‘Perfid Albion’ as you term it, will do just fine in the long run.

Lincslass Wed 06-Oct-21 15:56:30

GrannyGravy13

Fifth post in and Nuremberg Rally is mentioned, I think that must be a record!

Can’t help themselves, can they? Behind in vaccine programme, too many won’t have, wonder how much that was down to macron and the eu decrying vaccines, mainly the British developed AZ. Now we hear this from a left wing paper so story should be acceptable.
www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/france-stole-astrazeneca-vaccine-uk-b1933287.html

GrannyGravy13 Wed 06-Oct-21 16:03:38

Kali2

Perfid Albion will feel very lonely and vulnerable then - to be sure.

Urmston, glad you enjoyed coffee. But be honest, coffee, time or no time- you had no intention to answer, oder?

I posted about meeting other GN members for coffee.

I did answer what I thought of party conferences

As for Brexit, in case you hadn’t noticed there has been a worldwide pandemic, for instance there are so many container ships anchored off of American Docks that they are forecasting empty shelves, logistical problems (lack of HGV drivers) for weeks to come, so it’s not just the U.K. having problems regardless of what foreign press you read or the many anti-Government/anti-Brexit threads on GN.

The U.K. will recover and will thrive, but as many others have posted you cannot un-pick a 40 year political union in just over nine months.

MaizieD Wed 06-Oct-21 16:19:39

The U.K. will recover and will thrive, but as many others have posted you cannot un-pick a 40 year political union in just over nine months.

No, but you seem to e able to unpick a huge market pretty damn fast...

Statements like yours just make me see red, GG13.

The 'unpicking' should have been done over a realistic period of time, before we left, not in one fell swoop in the middle of a global pandemic. It should have been carefully prepared for.

Every single Leave campaigner said it was going to be EASY.

Just STOP trying to tell us that leave voters knew it would be difficult. Because that makes it even more infuriating; that people actually voted to make things worse

And no, we're not going to thrive. That's another fairytale.

Alegrias1 Wed 06-Oct-21 16:20:02

To those parroting the line that nobody ever said that we'd be able to unpick 40 years of a political union in 9 months. Did nobody tell this lot?

I wonder why they said that, if it wasn't true? It couldn't have been to pull the wool over the eyes of the voters, could it?

MaizieD Wed 06-Oct-21 16:22:23

Alegrias1

To those parroting the line that nobody ever said that we'd be able to unpick 40 years of a political union in 9 months. Did nobody tell this lot?

I wonder why they said that, if it wasn't true? It couldn't have been to pull the wool over the eyes of the voters, could it?

They're just unspeakable, Alegrias. Can't accept what a mess they voted for.. Making stupid excuses.

Alegrias1 Wed 06-Oct-21 16:25:26

MaizieD ?

Alegrias1 Wed 06-Oct-21 16:29:53

I suppose its a comfort blanket:

Well, other countries have it bad as well. Well there's been a pandemic. Well the Europeans hate us. Well my life is fine.

Nothing that I did made the country descend into crises, nothing the beloved leader did is making it worse.

Must be somebody else's fault. Couldn't be mine.

rosie1959 Wed 06-Oct-21 16:50:20

Kali2 I didn't keep anything quiet as you put it I voted remain

rosie1959 Wed 06-Oct-21 16:52:30

Kali2

lemongrove

rosie1959

Kali2

Will anyone, just anyone- irrespective of political persuasion or attitude to Brexit- believe Johnson and co that this diabolical mess we find ourselves in, was actually THEIR PLAN ALL ALONG.

Anyone?

In one word no
Brexit was always going to be a pain in the arse especially over the first few months/years
Covid has thrown a right spanner in any forward planning they didn’t expect to have to pay our a humongous amount of money just to keep us afloat
They couldn’t have planned for Coronavirus back in 2019

Spot on rosie ????

Wow you kept quiet on that one then? Why did you not warn us? Why did they all says there would be no downsides and only upsizes? Did they write this on a bus?

No, I don't think so.

Covid was and is a factor that did NOT help- that is for sure. But the vast majority of the real nasty issues the UK faces, is due to the kind of Brexit which the ERG pushed Johnson into.

And you do realise that Brexit has NOT been fully implemented yet? If the UK unilaterally goes for Art 16- then all hell will let lose.

Remember Raab- geography and all that. And essential utilities and services now in the hands of the very countries this would utterly alienate. If this is what you are advocating- then is it irresponsible and utter madness.

Warn you ? I voted remain

CoolCoco Wed 06-Oct-21 16:53:14

We were told we would be better off from day 1 with the £350 million a week we pay to those foreigners, loads of people believed that, I know a few of them - the deal was going to be easy we would have a Norway style deal and still be in the CU - what happened to those promises?, all these hindsights "we knew it wouldn't be easy" a real example of cognitive dissonance. "Oh the sky hasn't fallen in" seems to be the best they can say - well the sky didn't fall in when we were EU members - in fact we were the most prosperous we had been in decades so much fantasy talk.

Alegrias1 Wed 06-Oct-21 17:07:50

Boris Johnson's conference speech fact-checked

While we're on the topic of bending the truth to suit your agenda and using statistics to befuddle people. Seems like you can believe about 1 in 6 things that he says.

My favourite fairy tale is the trade deals one.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/58818531

Lincslass Wed 06-Oct-21 17:15:52

Let’s face it after stealing our AZ supplies, 5 million of them, after denigrating it to the whole world, France is in no moral place to blackmail a country. Who says we are in breach, oh yes France
theusposts.com/stop-moaning-france-has-more-uk-fishing-licences-than-rest-of-eu27-combined-report/

Alegrias1 Wed 06-Oct-21 17:19:52

Alegrias1

Well, other countries have it bad as well. Well there's been a pandemic. Well the Europeans hate us. Well my life is fine.

Nothing that I did made the country descend into crises, nothing the beloved leader did is making it worse.

Shall we tick them off as they come?

Number 1 - The Europeans hate us.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 06-Oct-21 17:27:06

Alegrias1

Alegrias1

Shall we tick them off as they come?

Number 1 - The Europeans hate us.

I do not hate Europeans or Europe

I do not think Europeans hate the British or the U.K.

Alegrias1 Wed 06-Oct-21 17:32:40

I'm sure that is true GG13, from what you write.

But I think it is also true that the "Europeans hate us" story does the rounds fairly regularly, sometimes disguised as a story about the French trying to con us, sometimes about how the Germans want to run our country. Sometimes about how they all want to punish us for leaving the EU.

Its all fantasy.

Kali2 Wed 06-Oct-21 17:55:53

rosie1959

Kali2 I didn't keep anything quiet as you put it I voted remain

In which case, I am happy to apologise, sincerely.

No politician, NOT a SINGLE one, told us in the campaign that Brexit was going to be a pain in the a*se- NOT one.

And no-one here on GN either.

Lucca Wed 06-Oct-21 17:56:37

Lincslass

Let’s face it after stealing our AZ supplies, 5 million of them, after denigrating it to the whole world, France is in no moral place to blackmail a country. Who says we are in breach, oh yes France
theusposts.com/stop-moaning-france-has-more-uk-fishing-licences-than-rest-of-eu27-combined-report/

Why has France been brought into a discussion about Johnson and the others at the conference? I’m confused

Josianne Wed 06-Oct-21 18:00:34

Dinahmo

Kali2 France is now threatening to cut electricity supplies to the UK and Jersey over fishing licences. Apparently the UK govt are acting in breach of its obligations over fishing access to Channel waters.

This was mentioned a couple of hours ago Lucca by Dinahmo.

Kali2 Wed 06-Oct-21 18:03:18

If one side refuses to abide by the Deal they have negotiated, word for word, and signed- then the other side is quite clearly allowed to take steps themselves.