Gransnet forums

News & politics

Feeling politically homeless (new thread)

(164 Posts)
MamaCaz Mon 04-Oct-21 11:01:23

I have never felt as much despair in our politics as I do right now.

The Tory Party currently in power is led by a man who quite clearly isn't up to the job, who is well and truly out of his depth. He could just about bumble and bluster his way ahead pre-pandemic, relying on his staff and ministers to come up with solutions to problems, but that isn't working any more.

The party and its leader are feeding us an absolute load of drivel, issuing countless meaningless soundbites and making equally empty statements about the state of the country that don't stand up to even the most basic scrutiny by anyone with half a brain.
In fact, proper scrutiny of the statements now being made is frankly extremely worrying - the supply problems and the resulting shortages in the shops, both now and for some time to come, are finally being acknowledged, but a narrative is being created to say that this (and the inflation that is set to get worse) are a necessary and expected part of our leaving the EU and ridding ourselves of the cheap labour in order to rid ourselves of uncontrolled immigration, something that we as a country voted for, and for which we must therefore accept the consequences.

Recent statements suggest that they are trying to absolve themselves of all responsibility for both for the depth of the current crises (yes, plural), and of Government responsibility to help ease them.

I fear that we, both the people and businesses struggling as a result of these crises, are being thrown to the wolves.

Meanwhile the Labour Party is in pieces. It is totally fractured, and can't even lead itself at the moment, let alone a country.

As for the Lib Dems - do they even still exist? I doubt if the majority of the population could even answer that question with absolute certainty, so far out of the public eye they seem to have fallen!

The only other party that most people could probably name is the Green Party, but I think it will be some time (especially under the first-past-the-post voting system) before they can be in a position to hold much political sway.

I feel utterly homeless, politically, and really do despair about what is happening in British politics.

VioletSky Mon 04-Oct-21 11:08:14

I completely agree with you, I feel politically adrift.

I've never been one of those people who pick a party and support them no matter what because this is not a football match.

I will vote for whoever has the best chance of ousting the Conservative party because I think they are useless with no understanding of the needs of their voters

growstuff Mon 04-Oct-21 11:09:05

You're not alone MamaCaz. Goodness knows what any of us do about it.

VioletSky Mon 04-Oct-21 11:09:40

Perhaps voting green would benefit them in the future but its hard to think that far ahead. My area is dominated by Conservative voters by a large margin

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Oct-21 11:11:17

Yes me to.

The only way out as far as I can see is to hope that the opposition parties see sense and form an alliance. The vote will than not be split. The majority of the voters don’t vote Tory.

Iam64 Mon 04-Oct-21 11:16:05

Whitewavemark2

Yes me to.

The only way out as far as I can see is to hope that the opposition parties see sense and form an alliance. The vote will than not be split. The majority of the voters don’t vote Tory.

I’m unhappy the LP continues to destroy itself. Starmer may not be everyone’s choice but he’s the elected leader. The same noisy group who demanded loyalty to Corbyn are consistently opposing Starmer
I don’t feel as homeless as I did when JC was leader. As white wave reminds us, the majority aren’t Tory voters. Tactical voting and consensus between the opposition parties seems essential

henetha Mon 04-Oct-21 11:16:34

This is exactly how I feel too. Absolutely would not know who to vote for if there was an election now.

Josianne Mon 04-Oct-21 11:18:29

Totally agree MamaCaz, you have summed it up well.
I have voted Green in the past but got despondent because there just aren't enough of them to get anything done, and they would be put of their depth with no experience of dealing with major issues.
The Lib Dems do still exist, I like them, but currently they are ineffectual and in a rut.

ayse Mon 04-Oct-21 11:21:43

Labour, Greens and maybe the Libdems need to form a coalition. As someone up thread said, the majority do not vote Tory. A chink of light on the horizon however, apparently UKIP is on the move again so there is a small possibility they may split the Tory vote.

MaizieD Mon 04-Oct-21 11:22:36

I'm politically homeless, too, but come a General Election I will vote for the candidate most likely to get the tory MP out.

Tories have to go

MamaCaz Mon 04-Oct-21 11:41:11

"I've never been one of those people who pick a party and support them no matter what because this is not a football match."

Same here, VioletSky

I wonder why the Lib Dems are not being more active/pro-active beyond a local level.
Or is it that the media that are to blame, not giving them the coverage that they need?

Given their position on the political spectrum, as the more 'moderate' option for disillusioned voters either left or right of them, they really should be the in a very strong position right now to gain support / new members.

Yet they are almost invisible.

For the sake of a healthy democratic political system, that urgently needs to change, and fast!

MamaCaz Mon 04-Oct-21 12:00:39

Whitewavemark2

Yes me to.

But you see that happening?

I struggle to see the Labour party in its current form being able to agree to such an alliance - the left of the party would, I think, vehemently opposed it.

That said, the Labour party seems so fractured now that its two halves should probably split anyway.
If that were to happen, yes, I can see the less extreme of the new re-groupings perhaps being open to an alliance.

muse Mon 04-Oct-21 12:08:49

I feel just like you Josianne.

MaizieD I hope that I have someone here that could get our Tory MP out too. We did have an excellent Lib Dem candidate years ago but he stepped down and his replacement was nowhere near as strong.

nexus63 Mon 04-Oct-21 12:12:28

i live in scotland and used to support labour for general elections, now i support snp for everything, to me bj is just a puppet with others telling him what to say, if covid had not happened he may have been able to get away with it but with covid he just became a frontman who did not know what to do.

ayse Mon 04-Oct-21 12:13:30

Just reminding everyone of the vote in Amersham where the Libdems took the seat.

Eviebeanz Mon 04-Oct-21 12:26:37

Absolutely agree

SueDonim Mon 04-Oct-21 12:27:36

I’ve always been a floating voter, I doubt I’ve ever voted for the same party in two consecutive elections.

The main parties don’t appeal and I cannot bring myself to vote for the likes of the Greens, with their Men and Non-men agenda.

MamaCaz Mon 04-Oct-21 12:28:48

ayse

Just reminding everyone of the vote in Amersham where the Libdems took the seat.

That's true, so there is still hope.

And if and when the predicted shortages really take hold - coupled with more people being hit by the energy price rises and more general inflation across the board, plus higher National Insurance payments, the current Government will be in for a much rougher ride.

Kim19 Mon 04-Oct-21 12:39:29

I've already agreed with all of this on another thread. First time in my life I've ever felt in a political wilderness. Trouble is I cannot see any way out of this than to sit it out until the next election. Ugh! Sad part is that I do believe the Conservatives will come at us with a tax 'reduction' (of that which they are currently taking away) and some will be duped. I also don't think Labour will have upped its game enough to convince anyone. Hope I'm wrong. I think I'm leaning towards independent candidates if there will be any in my constituency. Who knows? In the meantime I feel I have no choice but to sit it out and watch the havoc being created on a daily basis. I'm seriously disenchanted and a little bit frightened for the young people in my family.

BlueBalou Mon 04-Oct-21 12:48:11

I completely agree too, I can’t see anyone unseating our awful Tory MP who’s been here for as many years as I can remember it seems.
I will spoil my next ballot paper I think as a small protest because I am damned if I am voting Tory.

Iam64 Mon 04-Oct-21 14:09:31

Maybe that’s the way an informal alliance would work. Everyone vote most likely to get rid of the tories

Kali2 Mon 04-Oct-21 15:44:33

Totally, 100%

What is happening in the LP is just so tragic. Now would be the time for Labour to prepare to oppose the appalling and destructive Cons- with clever, positive alliances - but it is hellbent on dividing and destroying itself- with the help of FPTPS!

Shinamae Mon 04-Oct-21 15:49:21

Totally given up on the lot of them and now I find myself washed up on the shore of indifference….

lemongrove Mon 04-Oct-21 16:47:05

ayse

Labour, Greens and maybe the Libdems need to form a coalition. As someone up thread said, the majority do not vote Tory. A chink of light on the horizon however, apparently UKIP is on the move again so there is a small possibility they may split the Tory vote.

That won’t happen now that we have left the EU.It will be a race ( as usual) between the two big parties.
Nobody has to decide anything for the next three years.

Kali2 Mon 04-Oct-21 16:47:35

Tempting Shinamae- but I just can't because it is about my adult children's and my grand-children's future.