Gransnet forums

News & politics

Feeling politically homeless (new thread)

(165 Posts)
MamaCaz Mon 04-Oct-21 11:01:23

I have never felt as much despair in our politics as I do right now.

The Tory Party currently in power is led by a man who quite clearly isn't up to the job, who is well and truly out of his depth. He could just about bumble and bluster his way ahead pre-pandemic, relying on his staff and ministers to come up with solutions to problems, but that isn't working any more.

The party and its leader are feeding us an absolute load of drivel, issuing countless meaningless soundbites and making equally empty statements about the state of the country that don't stand up to even the most basic scrutiny by anyone with half a brain.
In fact, proper scrutiny of the statements now being made is frankly extremely worrying - the supply problems and the resulting shortages in the shops, both now and for some time to come, are finally being acknowledged, but a narrative is being created to say that this (and the inflation that is set to get worse) are a necessary and expected part of our leaving the EU and ridding ourselves of the cheap labour in order to rid ourselves of uncontrolled immigration, something that we as a country voted for, and for which we must therefore accept the consequences.

Recent statements suggest that they are trying to absolve themselves of all responsibility for both for the depth of the current crises (yes, plural), and of Government responsibility to help ease them.

I fear that we, both the people and businesses struggling as a result of these crises, are being thrown to the wolves.

Meanwhile the Labour Party is in pieces. It is totally fractured, and can't even lead itself at the moment, let alone a country.

As for the Lib Dems - do they even still exist? I doubt if the majority of the population could even answer that question with absolute certainty, so far out of the public eye they seem to have fallen!

The only other party that most people could probably name is the Green Party, but I think it will be some time (especially under the first-past-the-post voting system) before they can be in a position to hold much political sway.

I feel utterly homeless, politically, and really do despair about what is happening in British politics.

paddyann54 Wed 06-Oct-21 10:47:28

The Labour party in Scotland in cohorts WITH the unions ..who financed the court case ..fought AGAINST equal pay for women in Glasgow,The case ran for years and cost millions ,Now WHY would anyone vote for a party that's against women being paid the same as men .It only took the new SNP council weeks to sort it ,drop the case and give compensation to the workers affected .Thats the same SNP who support young families with a top up of £10 a week for under 6 year olds have taken over carparks at hospitals so folk dont have to pay when they are ill or visiting their ill relatives,mitigate the bedroom tax to the tune of millions every year and much much more .THATS why we dont vote Tory ,we want and have a far more left leaning governmnet who WE VOTE FOR .Isn't that what democracy is? I'm very sorry for my family in England but "England is a foreign land to me" and its up to the people there to get a decent government and quite frankly they dont have much choice .Sadly we cant do everything we want while shackled to the union ,we'd much rather have complete control of our own finances.We really dont want to keep paying for things we neither need nor want,like HS2 ,or London Crossrail or any of Bojo's vanity projects . There is no chance in hell of Scotland voting either labour or tory in the forseeable future and certainly not to "save" England from itself .Thats up to you!

Callistemon Wed 06-Oct-21 10:54:33

There is no chance in hell of Scotland voting either labour or tory in the forseeable future and certainly not to "save" England from itself .Thats up to you!

You forget Wales and Northern Ireland, paddyanne.
I don't live in England.

I did say that we may have a chance of seeing another Labour Government once Scotland gets independence.
I used to think it was the wrong thing but now I am all for it.

Alegrias1 Wed 06-Oct-21 11:34:06

I did say that we may have a chance of seeing another Labour Government once Scotland gets independence.

How does this work then? Seeing as how most people think the opposite, that Labour will never get in again unless they can rely on the Scottish seats?

Willing to be educated.

M0nica Wed 06-Oct-21 12:07:05

I am sorry Alegrias we do not blame anybody, just because they voted for a party that you do not approve of.

They have every right to do so, to think that your party is something they would do anything to avoid having in government, to accept and support another party whose views they do support and approve of. If you and those who think like you are upset about this then tough. This is how democracy works.

MaizieD Wed 06-Oct-21 12:23:37

They have every right to do so, to think that your party is something they would do anything to avoid having in government, to accept and support another party whose views they do support and approve of. If you and those who think like you are upset about this then tough. This is how democracy works.

Nobody is denying that, MOnica. We don't have to 'respect' them though.

Alegrias1 Wed 06-Oct-21 12:31:17

M0nica What you have written is so diametrically opposite to anything I have explained at 9:49 this morning, that I'm clearly not getting though. My fault, I expect.

Do not accuse me of objecting to democracy and being upset about it. That's pathetic, really. As for "we do not blame anybody..." I'd appreciate it as well if you didn't address me like you were a nursery teacher and I was stroppy 3 years old.

Alegrias1 Wed 06-Oct-21 12:43:08

BTW M0nica - who do you think my party is?

M0nica Wed 06-Oct-21 13:56:37

I assume you are a member, or at least a supporter of the labour party, possibly amember of the Corbyn sect rather than the Stramer set.

I am going away for a couple of days so will not be back on GN until Saturday.

Alegrias1 Wed 06-Oct-21 13:58:39

Thank you for answering M0nica

Wrong on all counts.

Never voted Labour in my life. Might do if they get their act together in Scotland, but that's looking unlikely.

Enjoy your break.

Callistemon Wed 06-Oct-21 14:06:35

The Labour party in Scotland in cohorts WITH the unions ..who financed the court case ..fought AGAINST equal pay for women in Glasgow,The case ran for years and cost millions

I do remember that. paddyanne and thought it was truly astonishing, against what the LP should stand for.

HS2 has no impact or advantage to me but I know many people who are against it (including us) and have friends who live on the route; they won't lose their home but it will impact adversely on their lives.

The Labour Government in Wales seems to have handled the pandemic better than elsewhere too.

LadyGracie Wed 06-Oct-21 16:02:53

'^The Labour Government in Wales seems to have handled the pandemic better than elsewhere too.'^

Really?

Callistemon Wed 06-Oct-21 16:04:09

Yes, really.

Casdon Wed 06-Oct-21 16:13:02

I agree Callistemon. There have been no lies or flanneling about Covid in Wales throughout the whole pandemic. I like an honest Government.

Callistemon Wed 06-Oct-21 16:16:52

There was some hesitation about mask wearing early on in the pandemic but otherwise I think the messages have been clear and the vaccination programme good.