Gransnet forums

News & politics

Chris Packham's home and arson attack

(115 Posts)
Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 16:40:28

This is just appalling and it must be so frightening for him and his family, including his step-daugther. Why is this not treated as a terrorist attack?

Just awful.

Bluecat Tue 12-Oct-21 13:31:43

Unfortunately, environmentalists frequently end up dead. It doesn't usually make the news because they aren't famous. Usually it is because they threaten the interests of big business and its employees. Often the victims are indigenous people, opposing the destruction of the forests or the pollution of their water. It happens all the time.

The harassment of Chris Packham and the attack on his home shows how far some people will go to try to intimidate him into silence. It must be frightening for him and his family. I read that he wonders if he will get killed for his views. It's ridiculous that he should have to feel that way.

As someone said, I detest Nigel Farage and all that he represents but I am not going to try to burn his house down. I hope that the people harassing Packham will be identified and arrested.

helgawills Tue 12-Oct-21 13:36:09

Those who try to defend so called 'Countryside Traditions' would perhaps like to return to feudal system, maybe slavery? I thought we were moving on?

LadyGracie Tue 12-Oct-21 13:37:34

I don't agree with an awful lot Chris Packham says or does so I don't watch him.
I do however like Nigel Farage.

Petera Tue 12-Oct-21 13:42:23

LadyGracie

I don't agree with an awful lot Chris Packham says or does so I don't watch him.
I do however like Nigel Farage.

urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10081567/Nigel-Farage-duped-reading-pro-Irish-Republican-message.html__;!!DOxrgLBm!X5HZPTIOfRIo_V59Ug9Dfrj0FMYmOlV5lmCZjdEmChvOwqOk9YBkW5r5gWi8imqcIQPT$

Kim19 Tue 12-Oct-21 13:43:44

Was singularly unimpressed with CP's involvement of children and the Royal Family to try to get his message over. However, certainly wish him no ill whatsoever. Just wish he would stick to pounding his message on his own nature shows and that way we could choose whether to listen to him or nor. Shame on those who threaten him or his family physically.

Oldwoman70 Tue 12-Oct-21 13:50:44

Despite what some are saying this was not a "coincidence" but an attack on Chris Packham. Some people may not agree with his views but if that is the case why don't they ask to talk with him about it and put their point view? I am sure he would be prepared to sit down and discuss the issue with them. There are people whose views I disagree with but I accept they are free to express those views without the fear of intimidation and attack

ExDancer Tue 12-Oct-21 13:59:33

Nannacool, I don't understand what you mean
I quote
"As I understand it, it was a stolen car which was torched and just happened to be outside his isolated house, another one, part of the same gang was stolen and killed a Foresters cow a mile away and was also torched."
Did someone kill a cow? And set it alight? A mile away?

Sorry, I haven't worked out how to put quotes into a little grey box, blame my computer illiteracy.

effalump Tue 12-Oct-21 14:04:44

Chestnut:
I think this is what happens when people's God given rights and liberties are taken away. Especially when you see politicians ignoring what the government is asking of people. You will end up with Civil unrest.

Alioop Tue 12-Oct-21 14:18:52

He speaks his mind and sticks up for cruelty to animals when they are being used as "sport" by sick individuals and probably the same idiotic people who did this to him. Hope they are caught and charged.

NoddingGanGan Tue 12-Oct-21 14:47:32

It's not an attack on him personally, there are other instances nearby which the police are looking at because it appears they may be linked. It wasn't his cow that was killed. There's no evidence to support his outrageous public allegations that he's been targeted in any way and that's why so many of us hate him. He'll take every opportunity to point the finger of blame at any country sport enthusiast whilst simultaneously encouraging the balaclava brigade to terrorise citizens, including young children, on their own land. He's pure evil in my books.

Alegrias1 Tue 12-Oct-21 14:51:40

Hate him, eh?

That's nice.

Dee1012 Tue 12-Oct-21 14:52:12

Nobody deserves the sort of cowardly treatment that Chris Packham is receiving and there is no excuse for it.
It makes me sick!
Chris has the right to stand up and speak out for what he believes in without any of this. If people disagree with his viewpoint let them do so through open, free and civilised debate.

Alegrias1 Tue 12-Oct-21 14:55:54

www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/30/chris-packham-says-dead-fox-was-left-outside-his-house

news.sky.com/story/chris-packham-dead-badger-strung-up-outside-presenters-home-11939344

So many coincidences.

Sadgrandma Tue 12-Oct-21 15:15:49

I fully agree with Chris Packham and, although people are entitled to their views, setting fire to properties and making death threats is no way to get sympathy for people's alternative views. If anything it has to opposite effect. Why are those people so stupid as to not see that. Same goes for those Insulate Britain idiots.

GillT57 Tue 12-Oct-21 15:24:15

i think we can safely assume from her language balaclava brigade that NoddingGanGan is a country sports enthusiast and therefore supports animals being torn apart in the name of sport. Nice. Just hope it isn't your cat sleeping in the sun when a pack of excited fox hounds roar past. It can be rather traumatic for any child, or even adult, which witnesses it, but hey, it's all good fun isn't it.

tictacnana Tue 12-Oct-21 15:31:17

I think some people just can’t appreciate really kind human beings and have to take the opposite stance. Anyone who condones violence against him and his family are disgusting, soulless bullies.

Alegrias1 Tue 12-Oct-21 15:37:08

I think part of the problem tictacnana is that he isn't kind in the normal sense of the word - he's an argumentative so-and-so who knows he's right and won't be intimidated. Bullies don't like people who stand up for themselves so they have to resort to disguising themselves and avoiding the CCTV.

I like him smile

GrannyGravy13 Tue 12-Oct-21 15:44:00

Chris Packham is not everyone’s cup of tea, folks with Aspergers have an uphill battle and he has had to overcome lots of hurdles.

I and my family admire him.

This is not the first intimidating incident on his property, it must be worrying for him and his family, let’s hope they are found and brought to justice.

MerylStreep Tue 12-Oct-21 15:46:07

ExDancer
Just press the quote button. It’s on the same line as your user name. It will automatically come up with the box where you are replying.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Oct-21 15:48:57

Packham’s Asperger means that like Thunberg, he will focus intensely on a subject and like a terrier never let it go. People who fail to understand this condition (although there is a body of thought that argue it is just another form of human development) will simply see the intense focus as something abnormal and threatening. They are wrong on both counts and frankly show an ignorance that says more about them than someone with Asperger’s Syndrome.

Alegrias1 Tue 12-Oct-21 15:51:20

A bit off topic, but did anyone watch the recent series with Packham and his step daughter? It was amazing.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000z8vy/chris-and-megs-wild-summer-series-1-1-south-west-wales

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Oct-21 15:52:26

Alegrias1

A bit off topic, but did anyone watch the recent series with Packham and his step daughter? It was amazing.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000z8vy/chris-and-megs-wild-summer-series-1-1-south-west-wales

Yes I did. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Oct-21 15:53:55

NoddingGanGan

It's not an attack on him personally, there are other instances nearby which the police are looking at because it appears they may be linked. It wasn't his cow that was killed. There's no evidence to support his outrageous public allegations that he's been targeted in any way and that's why so many of us hate him. He'll take every opportunity to point the finger of blame at any country sport enthusiast whilst simultaneously encouraging the balaclava brigade to terrorise citizens, including young children, on their own land. He's pure evil in my books.

What an extraordinarily unpleasant post.

Jaxjacky Tue 12-Oct-21 16:56:19

Be warned some may find upsetting.

www.advertiserandtimes.co.uk/news/stolen-new-forest-scaffolding-ltd-truck-found-torched-by-dea-9220232/

Cambia Tue 12-Oct-21 17:27:50

Basically it seems people are bullying others that don’t agree with their views. What happened to tolerance? It is not just Chris Packham, it is in every aspect of life at the moment. Gender issues, racism.
Why can’t people accept that their views are just that and that other people have the right to their views too.