Gransnet forums

News & politics

Chris Packham's home and arson attack

(115 Posts)
Kali2 Sun 10-Oct-21 16:40:28

This is just appalling and it must be so frightening for him and his family, including his step-daugther. Why is this not treated as a terrorist attack?

Just awful.

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 12-Oct-21 17:35:47

Cambia

Basically it seems people are bullying others that don’t agree with their views. What happened to tolerance? It is not just Chris Packham, it is in every aspect of life at the moment. Gender issues, racism.
Why can’t people accept that their views are just that and that other people have the right to their views too.

It would be nice wouldn’t it. Can’t see it happening though. Certainly not on gransnet!?

montymops Tue 12-Oct-21 17:58:48

Absolutely agree that this sort of criminal behaviour is appalling- However Katie has been condemned by many of you but I personally know friends who run wonderful and important wildlife and educational centres who totally disagree with Chris Packham on several issues, finding him completely wrong.

MissAdventure Tue 12-Oct-21 18:03:40

It's possible to personally disagree with someone without wanting to burn their house down, though.

Danma Tue 12-Oct-21 18:33:16

Nanacool
At last someone else who doesn’t just listen to what the media and Mr Packham spout ?

GraceQuirrel Tue 12-Oct-21 18:39:23

I absolutely love CP and all he stands for. Good on him for creating Wild Justice and I hope they fight even harder for the rights of nature and innocent animals. Whoever did this are stupid country bumpkins and should enter into a conversation and not violence, they are showing their lack of intelligence because they couldn’t hold their own against people who have decent beliefs.

GillT57 Tue 12-Oct-21 18:54:26

I don't agree with everything CP campaigns about, I think some of his ideas are rather unrealistic and I find his hectoring tone very irritating, but most of what he talks about is very important. Even if he was talking nonsense, he is perfectly entitled to do so without endangering himself or his family.

varian Tue 12-Oct-21 19:03:00

The bloodsports supporters are particularly vicious.

We were physically attacked by a fox hunting supporter on leaving our pub because we had said we agreed with the ban.

Much worse was the deliberate killing of a seventeen year old hunt saboteur who was deliberatley run over. The perpretators did not receive the sentence they deserved for that murder. These despicable people have no respect for the lives of people or animals.

Dinahmo Tue 12-Oct-21 19:18:00

Some very nasty events in France recently. First, a bloody corpse of a wolf was left outside a mairie in eastern France - wolves have been introduced recently.

During the summer a law was introduced banning the trapping of skylarks, golden plovers, lapwings and blackbirds. More recently thousands of hunters demonstrated against the loss of their rural identity which included a demand to overturn the bird rule. why they should want to kill these particular species I have no idea.

In the UK game keepers have been poisoning raptors because they kill the chicks. I don't know whether it still happens but hunts used to stop earths to prevent the foxes returning to them. Cub hunting is appalling too, if that still happens.

IMP Hunting is barbaric and their are much more humane methods of controlling poests if necessary.

Dinahmo Tue 12-Oct-21 19:18:20

posts not poests

Callistemon Tue 12-Oct-21 19:26:28

During the summer a law was introduced banning the trapping of skylarks, golden plovers, lapwings and blackbirds.

Dinahmo I am so pleased to hear that. I've never understood why these beautiful songbirds are trapped, it's barbaric. It happens in other EU and non EU countries too, I believe. Let's hope they follow France's lead.

I hope that this law will be strictly enforced.

Shandy57 Tue 12-Oct-21 20:58:56

I hope it's strictly enforced as well Callistemon, but saw on the RSPB that netting birds is still happening illegally. There are so many despicable humans on this planet.

Kali2 Tue 12-Oct-21 21:05:35

Fox Hunts have the sight you can see- and the very much darker side you can't. The hidden side, and I know from experience as I worked with several groups, with the support of Police Liaison officers and inspectors (and I was never a sabber btw) - linked to the terrier men, hare coursing, lamping, dog fighting, badger baiting- the men in red coats know, but close a blind eye.

As for the video the other day of the huntsman shooting a hunting dog- this is the least of our worries- and perhaps in many ways, quick and without the stress of waiting for vet or transport. If injured, they are more likely to be fed to the pack alive- to 'train' them!

Aveline Tue 12-Oct-21 21:09:17

It's just so awful Kali2. I'm glad you did your bit to help. I simply cannot understand why anyone would want to take part in such barbaric practices.

Scones Tue 12-Oct-21 21:30:10

NoddingGanGan

It's not an attack on him personally, there are other instances nearby which the police are looking at because it appears they may be linked. It wasn't his cow that was killed. There's no evidence to support his outrageous public allegations that he's been targeted in any way and that's why so many of us hate him. He'll take every opportunity to point the finger of blame at any country sport enthusiast whilst simultaneously encouraging the balaclava brigade to terrorise citizens, including young children, on their own land. He's pure evil in my books.

This level of hatred, vitriol and anger can't benefit anyone can it?

Kali2 Tue 12-Oct-21 21:31:41

Aveline

It's just so awful Kali2. I'm glad you did your bit to help. I simply cannot understand why anyone would want to take part in such barbaric practices.

Yes, that is ... pure evil.

25Avalon Tue 12-Oct-21 22:27:13

I always enjoyed watching the hunt on Boxing Day when I was a child seeing the red jackets chasing the fox. Then you realise what happens to the poor fox and they use to ‘blood’ youngsters with the chopped off tail of the fox. Totally abhorrent and most hunts people were from the upper classes. Oscar Wilde had it right - “The unspeakable in full pursuit of the unbeatable”. I was so glad when it was banned. Hare coursing is equally disgusting. We had beautiful hares near us until they were illegal chased and found dead in the road.

MissAdventure Tue 12-Oct-21 22:27:57

I expect the idiots who accidentally set fire to the gates (the day after packham delivered a petition about animal conservation on royal estates) must be so relieved that they were the wrong gates. wink

lemongrove Wed 13-Oct-21 08:47:47

GrannyGravy13

Chris Packham is not everyone’s cup of tea, folks with Aspergers have an uphill battle and he has had to overcome lots of hurdles.

I and my family admire him.

This is not the first intimidating incident on his property, it must be worrying for him and his family, let’s hope they are found and brought to justice.

Good post ????

Shropshirelass Wed 13-Oct-21 09:06:49

It is quite frightening to see how society treats people just because they have different views. These attacks are disgraceful and wrong on all counts. I hope they find the people responsible and throw the book at them.

MayBeMaw Wed 13-Oct-21 09:12:53

“The unspeakable in full pursuit of the unbeatable” ???

25Avalon - I think you’ll find it’s
“The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatablegringrin

Shandy57 Wed 13-Oct-21 09:34:08

Unfortunately the web has several versions nowadays.

I always say "The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible". Lots of unspeakables around here.

Kali2 Wed 13-Oct-21 09:48:48

Cambia

Basically it seems people are bullying others that don’t agree with their views. What happened to tolerance? It is not just Chris Packham, it is in every aspect of life at the moment. Gender issues, racism.
Why can’t people accept that their views are just that and that other people have the right to their views too.

Cambia, I have re-read your post several times to make sure. And I am not totally sure what you mean. I agree that we should be tolerant of other people's 'views' and certainly arson attacks and violence are never acceptable.

And yet, are you saying we should be tolerant of those who have no tolerance of those whose gender is 'different', be it by choice, or naturally? That we should be tolerant of racism and its effect on individuals as society (our mixed family lived through apartheid and its horrors)- That those and many more should be challenged and tackled head on, without violence.?

I'm sure this is not what you are saying. I hope.

MayBeMaw Wed 13-Oct-21 10:10:56

Shandy57

Unfortunately the web has several versions nowadays.

I always say "The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible". Lots of unspeakables around here.

confusedconfused
Wilde was a polished wordsmith - the choice of “uneatable” echoes “unspeakable” - “inedible” is a logical lternative but less “poetic”
Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.
lots of unspeakables around here
Fox- hunting country or Gransnet?

Anniebach Wed 13-Oct-21 10:25:28

Is freedom of speech only accepted if we agree with the speaker ?

25Avalon Wed 13-Oct-21 10:45:04

MayBeMaw

“The unspeakable in full pursuit of the unbeatable” ???

25Avalon - I think you’ll find it’s
“The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatablegringrin

Dratted predictive text grin