Gransnet forums

News & politics

This government has acted in bad faith

(44 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 13-Oct-21 10:19:06

Cummings has said that it was always the intention that this ragbag of a government would renege on the Brexit agreement.

There is no other government in our lifetime that has behaved like this.

They lied to the country and to the co-signatories.

GillT57 Wed 13-Oct-21 13:42:40

Traitorous is a very emotive word, is this how you see all of us who voted to remain?

Kali2 Wed 13-Oct-21 13:35:20

Oh for GS- the agreement is NOT being re-negotiatedThey knew it would not work, they knew exactly what the serious issues would be - they signed, knowing they would renege asap.

Do you realise the massive consequences this will have, on NI- but also on the reputation of the UK around the world, which is already in tatters. So far, the UK has become just a joke- when the troubles kick again- it will be a lot worse. An isolated island, dependent on its neighbours for all imports and exports and supply chains, be it for supermarkets, chemicals and medicines, key energy sources and utilities, and more.

TBH, all this posturing is not just absurd, it is DANGEROUS, on speed.

Alegrias1 Wed 13-Oct-21 13:34:38

That anybody can call the passing of an entirely legal bill "traitorous" defines sense. Along with the delusion that Frost and Johnson are in any way "clever".

DH is reading Wolf Hall just now. He's just go to the bit where Cromwell has decided everybody should swear allegiance to the new regime or they'll go "on the list". Its only a matter of time, isn't it?

growstuff Wed 13-Oct-21 13:28:30

PS. Do you get your stories from some kind of adult version of the Beano?

growstuff Wed 13-Oct-21 13:27:49

Why was it "traitorous"? Do you really have absolutely no idea how parliamentary democracy works in the UK?

Urmstongran Wed 13-Oct-21 13:25:56

More pertinently the Hilary Benn Act was passed by the traitorous Parliament at the time.

This Act forced us to agree a deal with the EU - or else it (Parliament) wouldn't let us Leave.

The power this gave the EU explains entirely why the NIP was a stinker.

The EU had us over a barrel ...

Placed there deliberately by Benn and those Remainiac MPs in the hope that this would force us to stay in the EU

But Frosty and Boris were too smart for them - inserting ‘Articles’ which allow its Renegotiation.

Alegrias1 Wed 13-Oct-21 13:12:31

This is a window into the Brexiters world view.

Cummings is a lying weasel, they say, therefore anything he says can be discounted, they say.

He is a lying weasel, but now and again what he says is true, not because he says it but just because it is true. So this has got nothing to do with Cummings, really. Its patently obvious that the Brexit Agreement was signed with their fingers crossed behind their backs, and any excusing along the lines of it never being workable is just unbelievable, really.

The way that some people think the world works, I'm not surprised we're in this state now. How far we've fallen sad

MaizieD Wed 13-Oct-21 13:06:40

Whitewavemark2

So it seems that the fact that NI has continued to prosper in the SM and CU.

Full shelves and petrol.

Gods teeth they are proposing to take that away from them.

They can't possibly have the example of NI so close to show people what they have lost...

MaizieD Wed 13-Oct-21 13:05:21

GrannyGravy13

Mr.Cummings is such a jolly nice chap ??
(See screen shot of his tweet from last night)

Actually no he isn’t nor has he ever been interested in anything other than self promotion with a bit of covering his own backside thrown in the mix…

He's a very unpleasant person, but then, so is Piers Morgan...

However, he engineered the Leave vote and got Johnson into power. Both with whopping lies that people truly believe. No wonder he's so pleased with himself.

Callistemon Wed 13-Oct-21 12:58:26

Chewbacca

Cummings is a lying, dishonest, corrupt little weasel who wouldn't know the truth if it bit him on the arse.

And the architect of Brexit.

Johnson did what Cummings ordered.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 13-Oct-21 12:53:12

So it seems that the fact that NI has continued to prosper in the SM and CU.

Full shelves and petrol.

Gods teeth they are proposing to take that away from them.

GillT57 Wed 13-Oct-21 12:53:08

Actually no he isn’t nor has he ever been interested in anything other than self promotion with a bit of covering his own backside thrown in the mix…

Remind you of anyone? Blonde, wears a suit badly, couldn't lie straight in bed?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 13-Oct-21 12:50:26

The central tenant on which this government was elected was a lie.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 13-Oct-21 12:49:28

I suspect that Biden will be watching the situation very carefully.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 13-Oct-21 12:45:59

Mr.Cummings is such a jolly nice chap ??
(See screen shot of his tweet from last night)

GillT57 Wed 13-Oct-21 12:45:41

Urmstongran

That will never happen Gill57.

What won't? me reminding you of your dismissal of the GFA in order to achieve your beloved Brexit or a terror incident in Ireland? I think you have been on the Kool Aid, as the Americans say. Or maybe had too much Spanish sun. sunshine

growstuff Wed 13-Oct-21 12:45:23

Urmstongran

Why do you think that?

Urmstongran Wed 13-Oct-21 12:39:35

GillT57 Wed 13-Oct-21 12:32:41

Jesus wept. Doesn't trust between nations mean anything to you Urm? One day, and it will be soon I think, when the GFA falls apart and the 'troubles' kick off again, car bombs and all those dreadful things.....on that day I shall remind you and your supporters of the cavalier attitude you had to what was a life saving agreement, negotiated by people who put their personal feelings aside for the better of the nation, people like the late Mo Mowlam. And yes, this is relevant to what you are saying about the NI trade agreement.

Urmstongran Wed 13-Oct-21 12:18:25

This is all about the EU wanting to control NI and making it as difficult as possible. An agreement, no matter who signed it, has no value of it fails to achieve it's objective.

Yes I am happy the agreement is (in part) being renegotiated. It didn’t come down on a tablet of stone by Moses.

MaizieD Wed 13-Oct-21 12:10:47

Urmstongran

Big deal. Countries like France are always breaking international law. Cutting Northern Ireland off from the rest of the UK was never going to be sustainable in regard to maintaining peace. And we all know the EU will never put up a hard border, just as one will never be erected by the UK.

Lots of people break the law on speeding, Ug. Shall we lobby to have it abolished?

GillT57 Wed 13-Oct-21 12:10:26

So Urmonstongran, you happily went along with this deceit, these lies? I am no fan of Cummings, but I am confused as to why some people call him out as a liar, but happily accept every lie from the PM?

MaizieD Wed 13-Oct-21 12:09:36

foxie48

Neither Cummings nor Johnson can be trusted but the situation in NI is not workable so it's in everyone's interests that another solution is found. I've never been one to cut my nose of to spite my face and although I dislike liars, feel uncomfortable about reneging on an agreement we need to find another solution.

The situation in NI is far better than the situation in the rest of the UK. They are still in the single market and, now that they've readjusted their supply chains, don't have the shortages we're experiencing.

So, what is bad about it? Apart from the fact that the DUP don't like it and it is showing the stark difference between the effects of Johnson's hard Brexit and remaining in the Single Market?

Urmstongran Wed 13-Oct-21 12:08:40

Big deal. Countries like France are always breaking international law. Cutting Northern Ireland off from the rest of the UK was never going to be sustainable in regard to maintaining peace. And we all know the EU will never put up a hard border, just as one will never be erected by the UK.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 13-Oct-21 12:04:54

The point is that Johnson was told that it would be unworkable, anyone with half a brain knew that.

They knew that the agreement was unworkable, but they forced it through Parliament claiming untruthfully that it was a workable oven ready deal, whilst knowing that they were lying to Parliament and the electorate and acting in bad faith towards the EU.