Gransnet forums

News & politics

Many of us were dubious about the Oven Ready best ever deal ..

(221 Posts)
Kali2 Thu 14-Oct-21 10:27:41

but the recent revelations are truly shocking- it is hard to watch

But THIS is truly shocking. I am no fan of Paisley Snr or Jnr- but these revelations are going to rock the boat, and the EU are fully aware of this too. So when people talk about lack of trust in the word of Johnson, and the UK- no-one can be surprised

youtu.be/YLa0hVOU0Us

So he clearly told Paisley at the time, that he had every intention of tearing up the Deal before he signed it.

And that was BEFORE the Dec 2019 General Election and BEFORE the first Commons vote on this on 22nd October 2019.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Oct-21 21:49:26

That should be ‘whisky’ for Scotland of course! ???????

Scones Fri 22-Oct-21 21:49:53

I saw that list Urmstongran and was going to post it, but then remembered the question is, 'What produce would EU 27 not be able to provide for each other?' and realised that nothing on the list fell into that category.

MerylStreep Fri 22-Oct-21 21:54:48

Urmstongran
I knew you’d be the one to throw them some fresh meat, bless you ?

Kali2 Fri 22-Oct-21 22:10:19

Fleur de Sel de Guérande will do the job really well- so no need for British salt, I can assure you.

Kali2 Fri 22-Oct-21 22:12:44

Yes, I did mention whisky from Scotland as the only thing I could think about.

But most connoisseurs will be quite happy to pay extra for a great single Malt- and others will just buy Irish Whiskey.

Kali2 Fri 22-Oct-21 22:17:33

The list shows what is being currently exported from UK to EU- but it does not have to be. Europe can quite easily import/export to each other for those on your list. They did so from the UK when they were partners, and when transport was easy and cheap, and no redtape, taxes or checks, no delays at ports, no tarifs. Now it has got so complictated, if the UK slaps tariffs, then they will just stop buying from UK and just buy and sell from each other. As said, I can't think of any product they could not just stop buying from UK- apart from good Malt Whisky.

Katie59 Sat 23-Oct-21 09:47:44

Tariffs increase the cost to the consumer who then chooses if they want to buy that product or a local alternative. Some countries have very high tariffs on imported luxury products. Others are anti dumping tariffs to protect home industries, not particularly an EU issue because it is even more contentious with the US and many others.

Kali2 Sat 23-Oct-21 09:50:18

It is a specific issue if before Brexit there was no paperwork, restrictions and tariffs- and suddenly there are.

As said, EU 27 will just sell and buy to each other- and not buy from UK.

Urmstongran Sat 23-Oct-21 09:56:51

Maybe you’re right Kali2 and European countries will stop importing from us here in the UK. Time will tell.
?
At this stage it’s all conjecture isn’t it?

Kali2 Sat 23-Oct-21 10:19:08

Not really conjecture, just common sense.

If the UK cannot be trusted, and paperwork, transport, costs, tariffs- make things so difficult- why bother buying from the UK- if you can just buy and sell easier, cheaper, friendlier as partners, from each other.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 23-Oct-21 10:19:47

Urmstongran

Maybe you’re right Kali2 and European countries will stop importing from us here in the UK. Time will tell.
?
At this stage it’s all conjecture isn’t it?

No it isn’t conjecture it is happening. Businesses are finding exporting to the EU much more bureaucratic than before brexit, with all the expense that entails, the goods that are being exported to the EU are subject to the full force of border checks, and many people in the EU finding our goods are more expensive, so will turn to others sources.

Goods being imported from the EU are given complete freedom, no bureaucracy, no border checks or extra expense. Our businesses cannot compete with such unfair practices.

This is very slowly turning the screw on British businesses.

Kali2 Sat 23-Oct-21 10:21:19

As said, I have been racking my brains trying to get a list together of what the EU would not be able to source and exchange internally. Apart from Whisky connoisseurs and Scottish Single Malts- can't think of anything, Can you?

Most are not connoisseurs and will be quite happy to buy Irish Whiskey anyhow.

Welshwife Sat 23-Oct-21 10:26:08

The new deal with NZ looks to be very much a one way deal with tariff free imports on meat etc to the U.K. and with discernible goods going to NZ. U.K. farmers are once again not being listened to and will be competing against cheaper imports which have not had the same strict rules for producing the meat.
Listening to Johnson on the world news last night he was listing all the things NZ would sell to U.K. and did not mention ONE product going from the U.K. to NZ!

Katie59 Sat 23-Oct-21 10:31:11

It’s not straightforward because there is a reciprocal element, one of which was meat, we sell a lot of sheep meat to the EU, at the same time a lot of beef from Ireland is imported, there was very quickly an agreement in that area. Other commodities are still being negotiated, that’s what we signed up to, if we had said “no deal” the negotiation would still have to be done.
In the end we did back down from no deal because even the most clueless hard liners knew how much more chaos that would cause

Scones Sat 23-Oct-21 10:35:11

Surely the impact on the environment is less if we import and export to countries nearer to home. However good the deal Australia and NZ are so far away. How does this fit in with the government's green initiatives? Either I have this wrong or not enough is said about this.

Katie59 Sat 23-Oct-21 10:42:56

Welshwife

The new deal with NZ looks to be very much a one way deal with tariff free imports on meat etc to the U.K. and with discernible goods going to NZ. U.K. farmers are once again not being listened to and will be competing against cheaper imports which have not had the same strict rules for producing the meat.
Listening to Johnson on the world news last night he was listing all the things NZ would sell to U.K. and did not mention ONE product going from the U.K. to NZ!

NZ are reducing tariffs on cars and other manufactured UK products, our farmers are being paid more for environmental projects so they don’t produce as much food.

Welshwife Sat 23-Oct-21 10:44:26

But is it a good deal for U.K.? It certainly looks like a good deal for both NZ and OZ but at the expense of our farmers. Both countries have farmers cock-a-hoop over the deals and how they can increase their flocks and herds over the 15 years it will take to fully implement the deal.
From the sidelines it looks as if the farmers in the U.K. have been told they have 15 years to sort themselves out with alternative methods or just give up. What happens to the supplies in U.K. if there are any disasters - natural or otherwise - which interrupt the supply chain?
Thatcher got rid of most of British industry and Britain has gone from being a producer to simply a buyer and a workforce of white collar workers and a large part of the population jobless because they do not fit in with the jobs available.

Urmstongran Sat 23-Oct-21 10:47:46

How many of us can HONESTLY say, hand on heart, that if they didn’t read the news, avidly scroll through toxic Twitter etc that their lives are actually any different by much post Brexit. Really?
?
A few I expect. Some. Others with anecdotal tales to tell. But actually themselves? Not many.

Alegrias1 Sat 23-Oct-21 10:52:18

Urmstongran

How many of us can HONESTLY say, hand on heart, that if they didn’t read the news, avidly scroll through toxic Twitter etc that their lives are actually any different by much post Brexit. Really?
?
A few I expect. Some. Others with anecdotal tales to tell. But actually themselves? Not many.

Me. DH. My farmer friend. My former colleagues who have lost their jobs. My friends and colleagues who went home to their EU countries.

Thought of a new one. DP whose pensions are now worth less because of price rises.

Like I've told you before.

You can keep asking all you like, with your little smiley faces, but the answer will always be the same.

Welshwife Sat 23-Oct-21 10:57:24

But it isn’t just us is it? - there are many people who have found their working lives and patterns totally destroyed or altered - don’t you have any feelings about them and how it has affected their families or destroyed peoples’ dreams? Even just the simple choice of retiring to Europe for warmer climes but not too far from family has been destroyed for many.
On a personal note I have now needed to stop sending small gifts to U.K. and told the family to stop sending to us due to customs complicated declarations and various extra charges. I have the solution of sending direct from a uK site such as Marks or Amazon but not so easy for them.

MaizieD Sat 23-Oct-21 10:58:29

Urmstongran

?

But you're describing the practically brain dead, Ug! Who wants to be brain dead?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 23-Oct-21 10:59:20

Urmstongran

?

Those whose jobs have been lost to Brexit? My daughter has a lot of friends who have been made redundant, or emigrated.

Those who are at home without the care they need?

Those hospitals in crises because of staff shortages. A friend whose operation has been cancelled 5 times because of staff shortage.

Greater difficulty in getting vet appointments because the EU vets have returned to the EU. Personal experience.

My gorgeous Portuguese dentist gone back to Portugal.

The list goes on and on

But you see ug I don’t operate on a “I’m alright Jack” basis. I see the U.K. as a community where we can all thrive or fall together.

Alegrias1 Sat 23-Oct-21 11:08:09

Even just the simple choice of retiring to Europe for warmer climes but not too far from family has been destroyed for many.

But you know Welshwife, some can still pop over to Spain on a regular basis to get their top up of Mediterranean sun in their second home, so its all OK really.

(Just to be clear, that's sarcasm)

vegansrock Sat 23-Oct-21 11:22:19

I know loads of people whose lives have been impacted negatively by Brexit. Jobs lost, people who have emigrated, inability to source certain goods, huge price rises, NHS workers who have left etc etc so stop the pretence it’s all fine for everyone just because some people don’t care.

Welshwife Sat 23-Oct-21 12:04:41

I have just been having a bit of a top up of my non existent tan this morning - lovely sun but not that warm here now. The leaves are everywhere on the ground outside but some trees and bushes are a glorious red.
I feel so for the young couples with families who see their wages being eaten away by rising prices and trying to cope with keeping the family fed and clothes warmly and good shoes for the children.