Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is this a humiliation for Glasgow? ?

(284 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 21-Oct-21 10:05:15

Strikes by binmen, piles of rubbish (and rats) in the streets, road-blocking protests and hotel rooms priced at £1,400 a night set to cast shadow over UN Climate Change Conference which starts on 31 October. Maybe it’s a ‘trick’ for Halloween ?

Urmstongran Thu 21-Oct-21 11:39:37

Actually maybe Westminster ‘chose’ Glasgow on purpose? Or is that too deep?
Actually I’m not sure how Glasgow was chosen to host. Did they want it?
Maybe they thought it would be good or tourism & money coming in. I’ve no idea.

GillT57 Thu 21-Oct-21 11:40:59

Marydoll

*Glasweegran*, I love your user name!

off topic but; I am reading Shuggie Bain at the moment, and there is a character called Marydoll in it. As you were grin

Wheniwasyourage Thu 21-Oct-21 11:42:24

There are plenty of Glaswegians offering accommodation in their own homes to delegates, Urmstongran, so you don't need to worry about all of them having to stay on a cruise ship and can give your wooden spoon a rest.

It's been made quite clear from the start that the Westminster government was going to run the show, and that the Scottish government should stay out of it. We all know how capable the Westminster lot are at producing world-beating rabbits from their hats, so why worry?

Anyway, let's just wait and see, shall we?

Marydoll Thu 21-Oct-21 11:45:07

GillT57, is she a wee (bacchle) fat woman, with red hair and a very loud voice? Then it was probably based on me!

Petera Thu 21-Oct-21 11:46:39

Marydoll

I think you may require some body armour Urms, rather than a tin hat, ?

I think someone in this thread requires a tinfoil hat.

GillT57 Thu 21-Oct-21 11:47:58

Give it a rest Urmostongran, you have made your point. No city anywhere in the world can accomodate this huge influx of people with the associated security, press and hangers on and mooring a cruise ship off a dock in the centre of it all seems like a very sensible solution, there are plenty of empty cruise ships around at the moment.

GillT57 Thu 21-Oct-21 11:49:40

Marydoll

GillT57, is she a wee (bacchle) fat woman, with red hair and a very loud voice? Then it was probably based on me!

She is one of a group of wifeys grin

Esspee Thu 21-Oct-21 12:13:07

GrannyGravy13

*Tim obviously should be tin

Thought you were going all sectarian on us there GG13.

Petera Thu 21-Oct-21 12:15:16

Urmstongran

But ... A cruise ship arrives to help deal with accommodation problems at a summit to promote clean energy - you couldn’t make it up.

"Companies that stumped up millions of pounds to sponsor the Cop26 climate summit have condemned it as “mismanaged” and “very last minute” in a volley of complaints as next month’s event in Glasgow draws near.

The sponsors, which include some of Britain’s biggest companies, have raised formal complaints blaming “very inexperienced” civil servants [in the UK cabinet office] for delayed decisions, poor communication and a breakdown in relations between the organisers and firms in the run-up to the landmark talks."

Esspee Thu 21-Oct-21 12:16:03

Urmstongran

It seems that the fleets of electric cars have no charging points so will be using diesel generators!

?????

Elegran Thu 21-Oct-21 12:20:00

Elaine C Smith as Mary Doll and Gregor Fisher as Rab C Nesbitt
This is the Mary Doll that Scottish TV viewers knew and loved.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFdUmLEJqtY
www.glasgowlive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/elaine-c-smith-would-love-12098759

Blossoming Thu 21-Oct-21 12:21:32

Elegran

Could you post a note of the source for all the detail, Urmstonegran? I'd be interested in which journalist/newspaper/lobbyist the raw material has been filtered through.

I was just wondering the same thing Elegran.

I think Nicola Sturgeon is a wonderful woman.

lemongrove Thu 21-Oct-21 12:24:06

Why the dig at Southend Elegran ? Apart from the fact that a Conservative MP has just been horribly attacked and murdered there.Seems very off to me.

Urmstongran one of the first lessons learned on GN is never criticise anything in Scotland...all you will get are touchy and defensive replies.Now...England is another matter you can criticise to your hearts content.
It’s certainly not good that rubbish is going uncollected as that always looks awful.

JenniferEccles Thu 21-Oct-21 12:31:03

The BBC has seen a leaked document which states that a number of countries including Saudi Arabia, Japan and Australia are asking the UN to play down the need to reduce the use of fossil fuels.

Am I the only one who thinks this extreme green agenda being pushed by our government is doomed to fail?

Callistemon Thu 21-Oct-21 12:32:04

Elegran

How about sending all the bigwigs to Southend? It has just been granted city status and has lots of accommodation in caravan parks and holiday lets, most probably empty at this time of year.

Not like you to stoop low, Elegran!

I've never been to Glasgow and I've never been to Southend but I imagine they both have their charm.

However, this does seem rather disorganised and you'd think that Glasgow Council and its staff would have some pride and want to showcase the city rather than let it be shown at its worst - rubbish and rat-ridden.

Alegrias1 Thu 21-Oct-21 12:35:17

Right then.

A fourteen year old boy was stabbed to death in Glasgow on Saturday. I'm not even sure its been on the national news.

Yet here we are, all sorts of potshots being aimed at Glasgow and being batted off in a good natured way, until there appears to be a need to really have a go.

Lighten up, folks, your true colours are showing.

Callistemon Thu 21-Oct-21 12:37:23

Yes, it was on the national news, Alegrias

JenniferEccles Thu 21-Oct-21 12:38:24

It was on the news Alegrias. I remember hearing it. Shocking.

Alegrias1 Thu 21-Oct-21 12:40:32

Okey doke. So were we all up in arms about people having a go at Glasgow? Do we all feel put upon and that nobody should say anything nasty about Glasgow until we've decided its OK?

Double standards. Don't have a go at Elegran

paddyann54 Thu 21-Oct-21 12:42:34

We're 18 miles outside of Glasgow and we've been asked to give rooms to two people who'll be here for COP26 ,there are a number using hotels on the lochside ,presumably we'll get their staff.All good. we've had folk from all over the world staying with us before and loved having them.I like to think they enjoyed being here too ,we certainly have a more than a few who kept in touch .Urmstongran I see you're still peddling the too wee .too poor .too stupid nonsense where we are concerned.

As a point of interest did your "newspapers" inform you that while your dear leader (aka Bojo) was sunning himself and painting OUR leader was giving TED talks ,speaking to the Arctic Circle Alliance and meeting world leaders one to one in the lead up to COP26.I know you're feelings about Nicola Sturgeon...but really wouldn't you prefer someone like her who actually works FOR their country unlike the chief clown
who is systematically destroying yours?

Blossoming Thu 21-Oct-21 12:42:46

I agree Alegrias. I was enjoying reading the witty and good natured responses.

Also I was looking forward to seeing Urmstongran dancing down Sauchiehall Street in a green and white woolly hat.

Zoejory Thu 21-Oct-21 12:43:34

It will all be alright on the night

Alegrias1 Thu 21-Oct-21 12:44:47

I would pay good money for that Blossoming grin

Come on Urmstongran, we'll have a whip round wink

Callistemon Thu 21-Oct-21 12:45:36

I've been to other cities which have been chosen for summits or as Cities of Culture (which Glasgow was) and they have made huge efforts to show off their cities at their best.

This is a dispute between Council staff, members of the GMB Union and the Council, not quite sure what Westminster or even Holyrood has to do with it.

This is an embarrassment for Scotland.

Perhaps someone could explain.

Callistemon Thu 21-Oct-21 12:47:20

Oops, I was being serious!

Apologies