Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Queen is in hospital

(281 Posts)
Zoejory Thu 21-Oct-21 22:26:44

Apparently she was taken in yesterday with gastroenteritis. I do hope she's ok. I'm not a fanatical royalist but have a soft spot for the Queen and she's had a ghastly few years recently.

Alegrias1 Fri 22-Oct-21 13:46:50

Look, I made a comment that I think its weird to say you love somebody, an actual real live breathing person, that you have never met. I do think its weird.

But I have desisted from commenting further because I think its inappropriate in a thread about an elderly woman's health.

So it would be really nice if people stopped being so indignant about it. But if not, I'll be happy to have this conversation. angry

Lucca Fri 22-Oct-21 13:54:24

rowyn

So, Alegrias1 , all those people who have donated organs to people they don't know, or who have sacrificed their life to save others, have not done it out of love for humanity, but just sentimentality??

No they did it out of love for their fellow man/woman. But that is different to saying you love a particular person you have never met.

Lucca Fri 22-Oct-21 13:56:48

maddyone

^She’s had a long and fruitful life with the best that money can buy. Most people in the world can’t say that can they?^

Indeed she has had a long and fruitful life, and she’s had the best everything throughout her life. It’s my opinion that she should have handed over to Charles a few years ago, and retired to continue living her life with the best of everything. I’ve just been watching the news and there was an article on about old people being unable to access the care they need. The Queen will never have this problem and will continue to receive the best of everything until she dies. I do find her attitude both controlling and selfish whatever promises she may have made when she was 25. It’s unfair to her son and to her country to leave him to become king when he’s already in his late 70s or even his 80s.

You’re brave Maddyone!
I too think it would have been kind to let Charles in a while ago.

FannyCornforth Fri 22-Oct-21 14:00:28

I agree Maddy and Lucca
It’s looking all rather unnecessary.
It would have been better to go out on a high, as it were.

maddyone Fri 22-Oct-21 14:00:31

Lucca maybe I am brave, it’s just what I think. Having said that I do wish the Queen all the best and I hope she recovers from whatever has been the problem.

FannyCornforth Fri 22-Oct-21 14:01:25

It’s not as if she would have had to completely retire from public life at all

Namsnanny Fri 22-Oct-21 14:01:41

Alegrias1

Leave the old lady in peace, for goodness sake.

I admire her, I like to see her when she's happy and smiling. But I don't love her confused That's a bit weird, sorry Aveline

Why drop a bombshell comment telling somebody they are weird, then give say it's not right to discuss it on a thread about the queens health?

It's not right to use pejorative language about another person's choices IMO. What ever the thread is about.

Lucca Fri 22-Oct-21 14:03:44

A bombshell comment ??

Alegrias1 said that saying you love the queen is a bit weird, she did not say Aveline is weird. Big difference.

BlueBelle Fri 22-Oct-21 14:06:32

Why brave lucca it’s a true statement I said the same further up I think it takes a lot of trust and love to hand over a business but holding on to the reigns at 95 is beyond the call of duty She should have retired and passed the role over long ago
She s been a very good head of the business but I m sure at 95 she’s too old to keep this up and she should trust her son to continue what she has done well for so long and have a rest
Would you like a 95 year old bus driver to drive you home or a 95 year old surgeon to take out your gall bladder No I thought not
She can’t go on for ever

Alegrias1 Fri 22-Oct-21 14:10:53

OK then.

Aveline answered me and I responded to her. That was all hunky dory, but no, its all up for grabs. So. This is what I think.

You can't love a person you've never met, have never spent time with and who doesn't know you exist. I love red wine, I love Spanish music, but that is not the same "love" I feel for members of my family and close friends. If red wine and Spanish music were no longer in my life, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

So when someone says they "love" the Queen, I believe that what they actually love is the idea of the Queen; somebody who has lived a long time and has always been in our lives. Somebody who represents an image of this country that is fast becoming history.

By "loving " the Queen we feel we are entitled to discuss her mental state after the death of her beloved husband, what kind of medical tests she is getting and the fact that she's been told to give up alcohol. (apparently confused)

So I can understand respect, admiration, whatever, but "loving" is undermining the feelings of the people who really do love her, and indulging our own feelings at their expense.

Lucca Fri 22-Oct-21 14:11:30

It was tongue in cheek. I meant brave to make any comment not praising the queen wholeheartedly on GN !

Mamardoit Fri 22-Oct-21 14:22:10

I wish the Queen well and hope that she reigns for as long as possible because I would sooner have QE11 than King Charles.

I am patriotic but that doesn't mean I have to love any member of the royal family. I have an enormous amount of respect for the Queen as head of state.

She deserves privacy with regards her health like all of us. I doubt that we would be told if something serious was found. She would just withdraw from public view and Charles and William would step up.

Anniebach Fri 22-Oct-21 14:23:05

When has a king or Queen abdicated but carried on with a public life whilst their son/ daughter has been crowned monarch ?

Alegrias1 Fri 22-Oct-21 14:24:30

Anniebach

When has a king or Queen abdicated but carried on with a public life whilst their son/ daughter has been crowned monarch ?

www.royal-house.nl/members-royal-house/princess-beatrix/abdication

The Princess said she felt fortified by the knowledge that making way for her successor did not mean stepping down from public life, and that she hoped still to have many opportunities to meet members of the public.

Anniebach Fri 22-Oct-21 14:33:39

My error, I should have said king/queen of. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

GillT57 Fri 22-Oct-21 14:34:10

I respect the Queen for her hard work and her sense of duty, I do not know her, I am only basing my opinion, like everyone else, on what the press tell us. I do get very irritated though by the silly bulletins about precautionary tests, just routine etc., etc., when anyone with knowledge of advanced old age knows this is patently not true. I wish her well, but we have to acknowledge her age. Oh, and the term 'Queenie' makes my teeth itch, hateful word.

Alegrias1 Fri 22-Oct-21 14:34:33

Oh yes, of course, because we're special hmm

lemsip Fri 22-Oct-21 14:36:16

this thread has turned into something despicable!..........

Aveline Fri 22-Oct-21 14:36:54

I don't mind what Alegrias says about me. Maybe I am weird?! Not particularly bothered anyway.
The Queen is a real old fashioned traditionalist who believes she has a sacred duty to her country so abdication was never on the cards. Personally, I'd rather the crown went directly to William but that's not going to happen. It's most likely for the best though. Give him a bit more time with his young family.

Anniebach Fri 22-Oct-21 14:37:27

No Alegrias1 because we live in the U.K. and we are discussing Elizabeth 2

Alegrias1 Fri 22-Oct-21 14:39:24

lemsip

this thread has turned into something despicable!..........

What's despicable about not wanting to discuss an old person's health and expressing a desire to see a change to our constitution?

This is where "loving" members of the Royal family gets you.

(Sorry Aveline wink)

Aveline Fri 22-Oct-21 14:48:04

Hoi Alegrias we are very special (using the royal 'we' here!)

Alegrias1 Fri 22-Oct-21 14:50:16

Well you and I are Aveline grin

I dare say the Dutch thought Queen Beatrix was very special too.

Blinko Fri 22-Oct-21 14:54:24

GrannyGravy13

Speculation abounds…

Her Majesty is 95, she has had a busy October thus far, all reports are saying precautionary tests .

Let’s hope she is able to put her feet up between now and going up to COP in Glasgow.

I don't think she should be going to the COP. Why not send Prince Charles instead? With all his green credentials, hugging trees and whatnot..

FannyCornforth Fri 22-Oct-21 15:00:56

I think that if the Pope is ‘allowed’ to step down, then a British monarch also should be ‘able’ to.

I think that it is clear that HMQ just doesn’t want to.

I’m not a Catholic (or indeed a practising Christian), and neither am I a practising monarchist, but I acknowledge that The Pope is a more elevated role in the grand scheme of things