Gransnet forums

News & politics

The foolishness of anti-vaxxers

(261 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Dec-21 07:51:33

Refuse the covid because you don’t want those chemicals pumped into your body?

The picture shows what will be needed to keep you alive if you get covid and need the ICU. Note the amount of chemicals.

Bloody idiots.

Josianne Wed 01-Dec-21 07:55:18

That's an impressive, hard hitting visual Whitewavemark. It might just hit home more than words for a few anti-vaxxers.

tanith Wed 01-Dec-21 08:01:33

I have wondered when hearing anti-vaxxers give that reason for refusing the vaccine if they would in fact refuse drugs when they got sick. As Josianne says that’s an impressive visual WW2

Allsorts Wed 01-Dec-21 08:02:19

I can’t understand them, they are misguided and selfish. We all have to do things we don’t want to for the good of everyone.

Hetty58 Wed 01-Dec-21 08:05:47

I must admit that I was so pleased to hear today's news from Greece (fines for the unvaccinated) - and Austria considering fines too.

Normally, I'm all for freedom of choice. That doesn't extend to freedom to infect others during a pandemic, though.

Baggs Wed 01-Dec-21 08:07:18

A lot of people can’t think logically. I hope it’s because they’ve never been taught but it could be simply low intelligence.

Riverwalk Wed 01-Dec-21 08:10:55

Not wanting chemicals could be a reasonable excuse but it's allied with world conspiracies, Bill Gates' and his microchips, 5G, etc., so you know that no serious thought has gone into being an anti-vaxxer.

Hetty58 Wed 01-Dec-21 08:12:57

Should the unvaccinated receive free hospital treatment for Covid?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Dec-21 08:14:01

Hetty58

Should the unvaccinated receive free hospital treatment for Covid?

We aren’t uncivilised, so yes of course they should.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Dec-21 08:14:30

Perhaps be charged half of the cost?

Hetty58 Wed 01-Dec-21 08:15:28

Riverwalk, I've heard 'They're harvesting our DNA!' - well, they're welcome to mine.

Hetty58 Wed 01-Dec-21 08:17:07

WW2, if it hits them in the pocket, even a little, many might change their minds.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Dec-21 08:21:44

Hetty58

WW2, if it hits them in the pocket, even a little, many might change their minds.

Yes. I think that is right. The other thing is how many other unfortunates have they infected?

Petera Wed 01-Dec-21 08:22:30

Whitewavemark2

I understand the inclination, but we really can't start to draw lines. Many people are in hospital for at worst self-inflicted and at best negligent behaviour problems.

Hetty58 Wed 01-Dec-21 08:28:11

My sympathies lie with all those waiting for urgent care (ok, perhaps self-inflicted too):

'the backlog of cancer care, which is thought to be impacting up to 2.4 million people through urgent referrals alone'

www.ippr.org/blog/the-hidden-cost-of-covid-19-on-the-nhs

Sago Wed 01-Dec-21 08:29:11

It is everyone’s right to refuse the vaccine.

My SIL a very fit and healthy ex athlete ( team GB) is currently seriously ill with a blood clot on each lung after the second Moderna vaccine.

Their 1 year old and 7 year old will not be vaccinated.

mumofmadboys Wed 01-Dec-21 08:32:16

If we charged anti vaxxers for their medical care by the same reasoning obese people and smokers would be charged

TerriBull Wed 01-Dec-21 08:33:25

Amazingly there will be those who refuse the vaccine on those grounds but have botoxconfused I do know a young woman who is ridiculously anti vax, so dangerous allegedly, but regularly uses sunbeds so there you go, complete lack of logicshock

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Dec-21 08:37:24

Petera

Whitewavemark2

I understand the inclination, but we really can't start to draw lines. Many people are in hospital for at worst self-inflicted and at best negligent behaviour problems.

You are right of course. But my impatience sometimes gets the better of rational thought.

Riverwalk Wed 01-Dec-21 08:38:37

Sago I'm sorry about your SIL and hope he makes a good recovery.

Of course it's everyone's right to refuse the vaccine - some people are hesitant and have concerns and need reassurance but that's not the case with the anti-vax rent a mob, they make crazy claims, are anti-science and spread disinformation.

Sago Wed 01-Dec-21 08:44:41

It is still not mandatory for NHS staff to be vaccinated.
Our local NHS trust has now closed our local hospitals to visitors.
So the staff can be unvaccinated, spend the weekend out in pubs and clubs and turn up for work.
The patients cannot have a visitor even if that visitor shows a vaccination record or negative test.

Hetty58 Wed 01-Dec-21 08:46:03

Petera, normally, I'd agree about lines being drawn - but there's a difference here. There's a threat to public health, a risk of infecting others.

Franbern Wed 01-Dec-21 08:48:37

I have to agree that I am bewildered, to say the least, as to antivaxers strange conspiracy theories. And, not all of those people are uneducated.

However, I am also rather frightened at the responses by people who seem to want to cast these people into some sort of leper role.
If anti-vaxers get charged if (when) they become ill from Covid and need hospitisation, then do we extend that to everybody who needs medical assistance due to their life styles and personal choices? Obese and type 2 diabetes comes immediately to mind, as does sports injuries, drunk/drug induced illnesses, etc. etc.

It is bad enough - very bad indeed, that the NHS is being run down and increasingly privatised - resulting in the fact that it really is no longer fit for purpose despite the valient work by most NHS staff. We need to get away from putting monetary value on everything and anything.

I can understand that those without prove of their up-to-date vaccinations ( not just covid), should not be allowed into many public places BUT fines just mean that the rich can go along with it and,once again, it is the poorer elements of society who suffer the most.

nightowl Wed 01-Dec-21 09:03:11

Franbern I am very frightened by people’s responses to those who don’t have the vaccine. I think we are seeing how easily people can take up extremely authoritarian positions and history tells us where this can lead. There have always been diseases with public health aspects but I am not aware that there has ever been a suggestion of compulsory vaccination ‘to protect others’ or sanctions for non-compliance. This is not a world I want to live in.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Dec-21 09:06:38

nightowl

Franbern I am very frightened by people’s responses to those who don’t have the vaccine. I think we are seeing how easily people can take up extremely authoritarian positions and history tells us where this can lead. There have always been diseases with public health aspects but I am not aware that there has ever been a suggestion of compulsory vaccination ‘to protect others’ or sanctions for non-compliance. This is not a world I want to live in.

Quite.

But can you see why anti-vaxxers appear so irrational?