Gransnet forums

News & politics

I’m constantly refreshing the News sites

(111 Posts)
Esspee Thu 13-Jan-22 13:00:39

I am supposed to be doing my income tax, deadline looming ?, but every chance I get I’m refreshing the News pages in the hope of seeing Boris’s resignation announcement.

What do you think the chances are?

Spec1alk Fri 14-Jan-22 13:24:01

Politicians seem to be practicing evasion and the press is practicing speculation - I despair!

Esspee Fri 14-Jan-22 14:35:20

Dinahmo. I have no idea why I haven’t visited, especially considering the Auld Alliance and the fact that French is the only language I have a smattering of that the natives (well in Martinique and Guadeloupe) understand.

MaizieD Fri 14-Jan-22 15:14:52

Calistemon

Grantanow

Barry Gardiner and the Chinese 'spy' are a distraction. It's whataboutery. Boris is the topic and he has behaved atrociously. He must go.

No, it's not a distraction.

It is very worrying indeed, anyone who cannot see that is sleepwalking!

Boris Johnson should resign, yes, but the Chinese spy revelations are much, much bigger than the stories of parties at No 10. They are part of the problem and we have a Nero in charge whilst all this is happening on his watch.

You do know that this is a 5 year old story, don't you, Calistemon?

China isn't exactly deeply embedded in our ruling elite, is it?

Whereas Russia.... hmm

Sawsage2 Fri 14-Jan-22 15:23:48

I think a lot of Gransnetters on this thread are too scared to say what they really think as it's got too upsetting and aggressive.

jocork Fri 14-Jan-22 15:43:09

The Teflon T* won't resign until enough of his MP's call for a vote of no confidence. After the way he deselected anyone who didn't agree with him over Brexit before the last general election, I suspect some will be fearful of taking that step. So we'll be stuck with him a bit longer. The only good thing is that even Tory voters are starting to see him and his party for what they really are so there is a chance we'll get them out next time. We can live in hope!

Alegrias1 Fri 14-Jan-22 15:43:27

I don't understand Sawsage2 why you would be afraid to say what you believe. I have several minority views; Scottish independence, the monarchy...and they're just the ones I can talk about in this thread without starting a war. wink But what I think about them, I can defend, I can discuss. If you think something but can't defend it against people who think otherwise, that's telling you something.

This is good thread; grown up discussion, mostly: www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1305637-What-will-it-take-for-the-U-K-to-stand-tall-again?pg=2

Calistemon Fri 14-Jan-22 15:51:45

MaizieD

Calistemon

Grantanow

Barry Gardiner and the Chinese 'spy' are a distraction. It's whataboutery. Boris is the topic and he has behaved atrociously. He must go.

Boris Johnson should resign, yes, but the Chinese spy revelations are much, much bigger than the stories of parties at No 10. They are part of the problem and we have a Nero in charge whilst all this is happening on his watch.

Whereas Russia.... hmm

Oh dear, poor Barry Gardiner - he only realised today, apparently.

How do we know?
Our whole society is becoming dependent on China for money, goods and services, as is much of the world.

Most people I know are somewhat concerned.

Roseflower5 Fri 14-Jan-22 17:56:30

Good luck

madeleine45 Fri 14-Jan-22 18:02:58

Goodness Boris missed a trick. Did he miss the chance to get the chinese spy to fork out to him as well.? What a disgrace the man is. Liar, disgraced and shown up and still hasnt even got the guts to leave, Waiting to be thrown out. I lived abroad and worked in various countries and Britain was respected and in particular the BBC news was trusted over their own radio. I do not often watch Question Time but did watch it last night. It was well run by Fiona Bruce, and I did have to feel sorry for the Tory chap who drew the very short straw , and had to face everyone. Although that did not last long when you heard the pathetic excuses provided.

Anniel Fri 14-Jan-22 20:03:51

Alegrias1,

Why the nastiness because I think a lot of Scots do not want to be independent whilst the Queen is alive. She loves Scotland in case you have not noticed. And I do not know where you live, but many people in other parts of UK
are not worried about Scotland leaving the union if that is what they want. What is wrong with saying that? You could pick a fight in an empty room. If you are not a Scot then my opinion is as good as yours!

MaizieD Fri 14-Jan-22 20:07:37

Calistemon

MaizieD

Calistemon

Grantanow

Whereas Russia.... hmm

Oh dear, poor Barry Gardiner - he only realised today, apparently.

How do we know?
Our whole society is becoming dependent on China for money, goods and services, as is much of the world.

Most people I know are somewhat concerned.

Funny they weren't concerned five years ago when the story broke.

Alegrias1 Fri 14-Jan-22 20:30:51

Anniel

Alegrias1,

Why the nastiness because I think a lot of Scots do not want to be independent whilst the Queen is alive. She loves Scotland in case you have not noticed. And I do not know where you live, but many people in other parts of UK
are not worried about Scotland leaving the union if that is what they want. What is wrong with saying that? You could pick a fight in an empty room. If you are not a Scot then my opinion is as good as yours!

I am a Scot. I live here.

And I really don't appreciate being told there's no reason not to let us go after the Queen dies; we'll leave when we're ready.

And, you should probably know. The Queen is Queen of Scots too. And Charles will be King of Scots. Because independence is nothing to do with getting rid of the monarchy. So your opinion is definitely as good as mine, but it would be even better if it was based on an understanding of Scottish constitutional politics.

MerylStreep Fri 14-Jan-22 20:49:36

Sawsage2

I think a lot of Gransnetters on this thread are too scared to say what they really think as it's got too upsetting and aggressive.

Sawsage
They aren’t scared they just know that the report button would be pressed.

Lucca Fri 14-Jan-22 22:19:57

Sawsage2

Well I’m sorry but grown women should not be afraid to state their views, that seems a bit feeble ?!

If they state something as fact which is not then obviously they will encounter challenges.

nanna8 Fri 14-Jan-22 22:39:22

Lucca

Sawsage2

Well I’m sorry but grown women should not be afraid to state their views, that seems a bit feeble ?!

If they state something as fact which is not then obviously they will encounter challenges.

But they might get virtually bashed by those vicious Scots.

Marydoll Fri 14-Jan-22 22:49:22

nanna8

Lucca

Sawsage2

Nanna8, wha daur meddle wi’ us? ?

Alegrias1 Fri 14-Jan-22 22:53:57

Who you calling vicious !?!?

?

Calistemon Fri 14-Jan-22 23:06:14

nanna8

Lucca

Sawsage2

???

There are probably more Scots or those with Scottish ancestry in Australia than those left in Scotland, nanna8.

Calistemon Fri 14-Jan-22 23:07:08

Ps before I get bashed, my dear best friend was Scottish, as are many of my friends

Marydoll Fri 14-Jan-22 23:13:52

Calistemon

Ps before I get bashed, my dear best friend was Scottish, as are many of my friends

I hope I am one of them! ?

Dinahmo Fri 14-Jan-22 23:14:53

Alegrias1

Anniel

Alegrias1,

I am a Scot. I live here.

And I really don't appreciate being told there's no reason not to let us go after the Queen dies; we'll leave when we're ready.

And, you should probably know. The Queen is Queen of Scots too. And Charles will be King of Scots. Because independence is nothing to do with getting rid of the monarchy. So your opinion is definitely as good as mine, but it would be even better if it was based on an understanding of Scottish constitutional politics.

I'm English, have no Scottish ancestors and have only been to Scotland a few times. But I would be upset if Scotland was to leave the Union.

Calistemon Fri 14-Jan-22 23:27:21

Marydoll

Calistemon

I hope I am one of them! ?

Of course you are, Marydoll always and forever! ❤

Marydoll Fri 14-Jan-22 23:31:53

Calistemon ??

Calistemon Fri 14-Jan-22 23:41:22

Oh, we are getting soppy ??

sazz1 Sat 15-Jan-22 00:20:33

I hope Boris stays as he's the best we have atm.
I hope Scotland gets independence if that's what the majority of Scottish people want. Although I think they will struggle without subsidies from parliament.
And as for the Royal Family what a disgrace. Charlie as king of adultery who married a young girl to use as a brood mare and ruined her life. And Camellia will always be queen of oars. I'm a Republic fan and don't need or want the Royal family. Don't get me started about Andy... .
And I'm not afraid to comment on here. Whoops duck lolol