Gransnet forums

News & politics

*Why* is the media hanging onto Cummings every word?

(137 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 24-Jan-22 17:23:32

Just that really. Scummings is not to be trusted. Broke rules himself.

Why is he now heading the mob rule out to get Boris? Don't get me wrong, I think BJ is a t**t. But Cummings is just as bad, if not worse.

Baggs Mon 24-Jan-22 17:38:36

“Scummings”

gringrin Good one

Gwyneth Mon 24-Jan-22 18:08:19

Many posters on here believe every word Cummings says. I guess the answer is they hate Boris more than Cummings.

Gwyneth Mon 24-Jan-22 18:09:59

Or should I say Scummings love it!!!

Hetty58 Mon 24-Jan-22 18:13:26

Gwyneth, that's right. We hated him for ignoring the rules, back then - but now, well, the enemy of your enemy is - your friend!

25Avalon Mon 24-Jan-22 18:32:21

Cummings is really putting the boot in. Very vindictive and an unpleasant person who is seeking revenge at all costs. He got the benefit of the doubt over breaking lockdown rules although many still hold that against him.

Gwyneth Mon 24-Jan-22 18:33:09

I’m glad that I have the integrity to choose better friends then as I don’t believe anything he says is truthful after his lies re Barnard Castle.

MerylStreep Mon 24-Jan-22 18:38:27

The answer is simple: he’s putting the proverbial boot in that thousands want to do but don’t have the opportunity.

GagaJo Mon 24-Jan-22 18:39:17

Gwyneth

I’m glad that I have the integrity to choose better friends then as I don’t believe anything he says is truthful after his lies re Barnard Castle.

Me neither. And I don't think anyone should give him air space.

Casdon Mon 24-Jan-22 18:42:17

It’s nothing to do with your integrity though Gwyneth. I don’t believe everything Cummings says, but neither do I believe that everything he says is lies - many of his claims have been verified by others who were present, and there have been a large number of related and non related accusations from other people about the PM’s activities. The conflicting stories of two people who are both known to lie is just an indication that there’s no honour amongst thieves.

Hetty58 Mon 24-Jan-22 18:57:06

Gwyneth, of course we don't believe him - that's silly - and not the point. We really enjoy watching BJ squirm!

Zoejory Mon 24-Jan-22 19:02:46

I think Demonic might just have scored the last kill. Apparently Carrie held a birthday party in Downing Street for Boris in the summer of 2020.

No chance of Boris being able to wiggle his way out of this one.

I imagine he'll be gone by the end of the week

MissAdventure Mon 24-Jan-22 19:02:59

I never believed he would go quietly, and more fool Johnson if did.
They're all as bad as eachother.
Why believe Cummings?
Because I want to, just as the Tories themselves behave, doing what they want.

ShazzaKanazza Mon 24-Jan-22 19:11:54

I absolutely cannot stand this horrid little man lying through his teeth in the rose garden at no 10. Whenever we saw him on camera he was always skulking in corners on his phone. He’s like a snake, goodness knows why Boris stood by him as he did. No wonder he has very little credibility anymore. But that weasley little man needs to skulk right away. He’s out for revenge I’m sure of it. I think he’ll get his way soon.

BlueBelle Mon 24-Jan-22 19:23:36

Oh dear shazza can’t you really see any they are both cut from the same clothe and deserve one another
Yes I m sure he is out for revenge but don’t you think the other one whose name I can’t bear to utter isnt every bit as bad You reap what you sow he would sell his grandmothers teeth if it kept him in his prime ministers position

Dickens Mon 24-Jan-22 19:28:36

Gwyneth

Many posters on here believe every word Cummings says. I guess the answer is they hate Boris more than Cummings.

Do you think so many believe every word?

I don't like Boris Johnson one bit and think he should be answerable to the electorate - which is not the same as hating him. But I don't trust Cummings nor necessarily believe his interpretation of events. I think he's a man with a mission and out for vengeance.

David Cameron was a tad naïve - but he got it dead right regarding the man when he called him a "career psychopath".

So no, as critical as I am of Boris Johnson, I have no faith in Cummings. He's a 'user' and an abuser and anyone who gets involved with him is foolish.

Johnson used him as Senior Adviser because he ran the pro-Brexit, Leave campaign - but has now admitted that he was not totally committed to the campaign. He all but said to Laura Kuenssberg that the campaign was won on false pretences. When she questioned him about the "£350 million for the NHS" he explained that he "used the figure to focus the debate on the “balance sheet” of Britain’s EU membership, and to “drive the Remain campaign and the people running it crazy”. She then asked him, "But wasn’t the important thing what you were saying to the public?" he replied. “No, I don’t think so".

Frankly, I think the man is treacherous.

nexus63 Mon 24-Jan-22 19:33:16

cummings is the one person who knows everything that went on and i would trust what he has to say more than bj, when it's all said and done, cummings does not have anything to loose but bj does.

GagaJo Mon 24-Jan-22 19:43:20

100% Dickens. SCUMmings

Dinahmo Mon 24-Jan-22 19:44:23

Why do people constantly say that others hate Johnson? I doubt that anybody does but he is an idiot and a liar which most people accept, apart from true Johnson fans. Are there many of those left?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 24-Jan-22 19:55:53

Cummings is a sociopath, so what others think of him will mean nothing to him.

We do know that he is a game player and his focus is now on getting rid of Johnson, just as it was previously on Brexit and getting Johnson into first the leadership and then the election.

It is interesting to see if he wins this.

Parsley3 Mon 24-Jan-22 19:56:15

Hell hath no fury like a Cummings scorned.
He expected us to believe his nonsense about Barnard Castle because there was an element of truth in it. He did go there, it was against Covid rules but he could spin a reason for doing it.
Now he is dishing the dirt about partygate but omitting to spin it in Johnson’s favour. Unfortunately, the PM is now paying for choosing the career psychopath Cummings as his trusted adviser.

Dickens Mon 24-Jan-22 20:06:54

nexus63

cummings is the one person who knows everything that went on and i would trust what he has to say more than bj, when it's all said and done, cummings does not have anything to loose but bj does.

...well he certainly might lose credibility.

So will Johnson, but in a different way. And he will be financially secure I don't doubt.

Cummings, presumably, still has to make a living.

I'm not sure I believe him when he talks about what he did / or didn't know about - or whether the government leaks did or didn't come from him on various issues.

Alegrias1 Mon 24-Jan-22 20:21:19

I don't believe anything of what Cummings says, at least not to begin with. Its like he tosses in a grenade and we think, oh here's another thing he's making up. Surely there wasn't a party?

Then someone else comes along and says, actually I was at that party. Then 30 more people come along and say the same thing. Then the PM says he was there too but he didn't know it was a party. Then next thing you know he's apologising to the Queen for having a party.

No matter how deeply unpleasant Cummings is, if what he's telling us turns out to be true - as it so often seems to be - then he's just the catalyst. He gets what he wants and we find out that our PM is not fit for office.

Doodledog Mon 24-Jan-22 20:47:14

That's exactly it, Alegrias.

Cummings doesn't need to make a living, or at least not in the sense that most of us do, or did. His family has plenty of money, and I'd bet that he could live for quite a while on what's in his own bank account. In any case, he is still highly employable as someone who is extremely good at dealing with the media and with spinning awkward news stories.

I think he's telling the truth. If he'd still been in post as a SPAD, we'd be getting a very different version of events, if we knew about them at all.

None of this makes him or Johnson anything other than reprehensible, but as I say, I believe that the parties happened in absolute contravention of the rules that the rest of us had to live by.

Iam64 Mon 24-Jan-22 20:53:04

Cummings personality and character are the same now as when he was working with Johnson on Get Brexit Done, or later in Downing Street. He’s always been a manipulative self seeker
It was obvious when Johnson allowed Cummings that ludicrous self indulgent press conference in the Downing Street Garden, that Cummings lacked integrity or honesty. Also, that Cummings had information about Johnson that he was prepared to keep quiet while it suited him.
It no longer suits him to protect Johnson. It suits him to destroy him