Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ukraine - contd

(161 Posts)
boheminan Tue 22-Mar-22 13:50:11

Although I have not contributed to this thread, I'm keeping a close eye on it for information. I think it's important to keep it alive.

Over to you....

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Mar-22 13:51:19

Thanks.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Mar-22 14:12:52

CNN reporting, that USA security services are saying that Putin is planning to attack the wests cyber networks, including government departments, hospitals, energy suppliers etc.

This should not be taken lightly as the security forces have been spot on so far.

Let us hope that our defences against such attacks are up to it.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Mar-22 14:14:47

Joe Biden

"The magnitude of Russia's cyber capacity is fairly consequential, and it's coming," Biden warned on Monday in a written statement. "He (Putin) hasn't used it yet, but it's part of his playbook."

Jody1234 Tue 22-Mar-22 15:56:11

Very important thread, thank you.

boheminan Tue 22-Mar-22 15:59:12

I'm a bit cut off from news supply so look at this thread a lot for info. As I'm in hospital sitting looking at all this wonderful equipment that runs by technology, the idea of cyber attacks freezes me to the bone

mokryna Tue 22-Mar-22 16:00:06

Thank you for restarting this thread, it is also important to me.

Cherrytree59 Tue 22-Mar-22 16:05:16

Thank you ?
I also read, so very happy it's still an on going thread.

I have read some useful information in Mumsnet
It is Ukraine invasion on Chat thread. (Last one no 14 poss now 15)
It has a some very knowledgeable posters who 'vet' articles re fake news etc and are able to explain the political and psychological aspects very clearly and calmly.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Mar-22 16:06:37

boheminan

I'm a bit cut off from news supply so look at this thread a lot for info. As I'm in hospital sitting looking at all this wonderful equipment that runs by technology, the idea of cyber attacks freezes me to the bone

Well he hasn’t done it yet, and I’m sure we have the technology to prevent him doing too much damage.

Cherrytree59 Tue 22-Mar-22 16:10:59

Mumsnet chat . Ukraine invasion - 15.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Mar-22 16:17:46

Russia not having it all their own way. Well done Ukraine.

“U.S. has indications that Ukraine is now "able and willing" to take back territory overtaken by the Russian military: senior U.S. defense official

Ukraine's military is now trying to push the Russians out of Izyum, in East Ukraine, and has held Mykolaiv against ?? attack.”

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Mar-22 16:22:59

Biden also warning of chemical/biological attacks.

Given the fact that Ukraine seems to be pushing back and winning, my fear is that Biden may well be correct.

Not sure Ukraine has any defence against such dreadful weapons. I remember that the Russians seem to attack hospitals a lot in Syria with chemical weapons.

BASTARDS.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Mar-22 16:23:43

Cherrytree59

Mumsnet chat . Ukraine invasion - 15.

Do you mean that is a good thread to look at?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Mar-22 08:53:16

Oz Katerji
@OzKaterji
·
2h
Good morning, this is Kyiv calling.

They said Kyiv would fall in 48 hours, today we hear news of Ukrainian counteroffensives liberating territory across the Oblast. Not only do its defences hold, but Kyiv is still fighting back.

We are still here.

We will remain here.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Mar-22 08:54:18

Sorry cherrytree I didn’t see both your messages. I will have a look. Thank you

You will soon be in blossom?

MerylStreep Wed 23-Mar-22 09:08:05

boheminan
Are you saying that you rely on GN for all your news on the war in Ukraine?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Mar-22 09:09:23

MerylStreep

boheminan
Are you saying that you rely on GN for all your news on the war in Ukraine?

I can feel a criticism coming up?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Mar-22 15:17:07

I’m not sure what I think about this.

"A senior US administration official said any use of a 'small' tactical nuclear bomb by Russia — even inside Ukraine and not directed at a NATO member — would mean that 'all bets are off' on the United States and NATO staying out of the war."

boheminan Thu 24-Mar-22 15:27:33

I can get onto BBC news online and do, but I also reap a lot of benefit from reading the in depth conversational threads about this specific subject on GN.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Mar-22 16:09:29

boheminan

I can get onto BBC news online and do, but I also reap a lot of benefit from reading the in depth conversational threads about this specific subject on GN.

If you have an I-pad, go into apple app and download the blog app.

Loads of interesting stuff on there.

AGAA4 Thu 24-Mar-22 16:53:24

Putin is at is most dangerous as the war is not going his way. Ukraine have given him a 'bloody nose' and he means to win by any means fair or foul and his actions have. been foul so far. It is worrying that there is talk of chemical and biological weapons.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Mar-22 17:29:54

Johnson seems to be persona non grata, everyone seemed to ignore him at the NATO bun fight.

I wonder why?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Mar-22 17:47:28

Biden talking about food shortages.

I suspect that the push towards greater re-wilding will ( unfortunately) be slowed down or stopped and farmers now encouraged towards greater production.

During the past decades it has been thought that food security was no longer an issue with global trading, but Ukraine has shown us that that was possibly misguided and almost certainly needs re-visiting.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Mar-22 17:54:46

Biden good I thought.

Interested to hear the worry people have about Trump’s return.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Mar-22 17:56:33

EU - US summit now taking place, minus the U.K.

Well done our fool of a Prime Minister.