Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ukraine - contd

(162 Posts)
boheminan Tue 22-Mar-22 13:50:11

Although I have not contributed to this thread, I'm keeping a close eye on it for information. I think it's important to keep it alive.

Over to you....

BoadiceaJones Thu 24-Mar-22 19:50:52

DH convinced that Putin is now so dangerous, back to the wall, and humiliated by Ukrainian resistance, that his next step, within a week, will be a tactical nuke. Nothing to lose for him. Chemical and biological weapons are too uncontrollable. DH is ex RN weapons engineer, very switched-on and thoughtful. I hope he's wrong on this occasion.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Mar-22 19:52:41

?

maddyone Thu 24-Mar-22 20:33:21

Whitewavemark2

I’m not sure what I think about this.

"A senior US administration official said any use of a 'small' tactical nuclear bomb by Russia — even inside Ukraine and not directed at a NATO member — would mean that 'all bets are off' on the United States and NATO staying out of the war."

One word: frightening!

DaisyAnne Thu 24-Mar-22 20:54:46

Whitewavemark2

Johnson seems to be persona non grata, everyone seemed to ignore him at the NATO bun fight.

I wonder why?

He was at the meetings of the groups we are members of. I hope they have all told him what they think of him now and we can move on. Unity needs to be the priority not letting a silly clown upset the apple cart. We are not in the EU (sadly). It's almost as if what he has done taking us out hadn't registered with Johnson.

Biden is showing those who were suggesting everything scandalous they could conjure up, just what he is made of. There is many a younger man who couldn't keep up his pace. He is a man for the moment as a skilled negotiator. A man who knows and can speak to his brief. He can bring unity between opposing groups of politicians. He is someone who can bring all the countries together. Thank goodness it's him and not the other clown

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Mar-22 20:59:12

Biden is like an old war horse, he’s been around the block and his experience shows.

NanKate Thu 24-Mar-22 21:35:59

I recently found out that if I say to Alexa ‘BBC News’ it will play me the latest headlines it also gives the opportunity to listen to larger portions of some of the topics. I play it 3 or 4 times a day so that I can keep up with this terrible unjust war.

Grandmashe43 Thu 24-Mar-22 23:29:12

Very impressed by Biden, good an at the helm.

mokryna Fri 25-Mar-22 22:18:12

Biden, spoke very well, more clearly than in some of his recent speeches.

MaizieD Sat 26-Mar-22 11:26:36

To stop this topic sliding down the forum.

A very long and comprehensive report from Euromaidan on what is happening in Ukraine up to 25th March and looking at wider issues, such as the differing views of the war of the Western allies and the countries bordering Ukraine.

I know this is a Ukraine based organisation but the information seems well presented and quite fair.

euromaidanpress.com/2022/03/26/russo-ukrainian-war-day-31-russia-is-not-running-out-of-personnel-and-rockets/?swcfpc=1

DaisyAnne Sat 26-Mar-22 11:45:37

Thank you Maizie

Biden has just arrived to have further talks with Poland. There are some senior Ukraine representatives there too.

Polish Prime Minister Morawiecki stressed that “If we cannot introduce effective sanctions, we have no choice: We must protect the people of Ukraine with our own shields. If we want to restore peace, Putin needs to know where the red line is – the line he cannot cross. The fact that Russia has a nuclear arsenal cannot be an excuse for passivity. We must be cognizant of this threat, but it cannot hold us back. Otherwise, Putin will only go further.” (from Maizie's link)

It sounds as if Poland is pushing their plans to give Ukraine the planes. I think Biden will have to have a counteroffer if he is to say "no" again.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 26-Mar-22 14:58:06

Thanks maizie I must have a look. I’ve got the bit between my teeth trying to understand the so called trans issue and getting a bit obsessed with trying to understand it, so haven’t looked at the war today.

I did hear that Biden was reluctant to supply the plans because of the danger of escalation. I see his point, but how much do you allow Putin to get away with?

ExDancer Sat 26-Mar-22 15:11:27

I don't imagine there will be much wheat exported from Ukraine this coming autumn, and as we rely heavily on Ukrainian wheat for flour our own farmers are going to have to step up to the mark and produce as much as they can. Sadly there is nothing like the amount of land in the UK suitable for growing wheat so we're in trouble.
Its time the govt stopped this 'rewilding' and similar schemes and encouraged farmers to get on with what they do best, producing high quality meat and vegetables for the home market.

Casdon Sat 26-Mar-22 15:14:42

STATEMENT ON UK WHEAT SUPPLY IN LIGHT OF CURRENT SITUATION IN UKRAINE - UK Flour Millers
4 Mar 2022 — The UK imports almost no wheat from Ukraine or Russia for human consumption. Most of the wheat we use is grown in Britain.

volver Sat 26-Mar-22 16:00:14

I'm a bit speechless, really. Thanks Casdon. You and your facts... wink

Whitewavemark2 Sat 26-Mar-22 16:04:42

volver

I'm a bit speechless, really. Thanks Casdon. You and your facts... wink

And me.

I thought that out bread flour comes from Canada though.

I think really the point probably is that there will be a worldwide shortage if flour. Unless governments intervene - the market is king and farmers will sell to the highest bidder, so I reckon however you look at it there will be a massive rise in the price if flour.

volver Sat 26-Mar-22 16:07:18

I read the rest of the article that Casdon cites and that's basically what it says.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 26-Mar-22 16:20:45

Oh ?. I didn’t read the article.

volver Sat 26-Mar-22 16:23:48

I wasn't arguing WWM2, just agreeing, really...wink

Whitewavemark2 Sat 26-Mar-22 16:24:47

volver

I wasn't arguing WWM2, just agreeing, really...wink

Makes a change for us to agree?

volver Sat 26-Mar-22 16:30:27

?

Callistemon21 Sat 26-Mar-22 16:36:15

Casdon

STATEMENT ON UK WHEAT SUPPLY IN LIGHT OF CURRENT SITUATION IN UKRAINE - UK Flour Millers
4 Mar 2022 — The UK imports almost no wheat from Ukraine or Russia for human consumption. Most of the wheat we use is grown in Britain.

Thanks Casdon

We import some wheat from Canada too as their wheat is harder (does that mean higher in gluten?) and apparently better for breadmaking.

Some Middle Eastern countries, Bangladesh, Indonesia and Pakistan imported wheat from Ukraine and Russia so they will be suffering shortages now.

MaizieD Sat 26-Mar-22 17:34:41

Don't forget that Ukraine is a very big country and not all of it is overrun with the Russian army. Farmers will be getting on with the spring sowing. Whether or not they get to harvest it is a different matter.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 26-Mar-22 17:36:40

Wow Biden’s speech is sooooo good.

Callistemon21 Sat 26-Mar-22 17:37:41

MaizieD

Don't forget that Ukraine is a very big country and not all of it is overrun with the Russian army. Farmers will be getting on with the spring sowing. Whether or not they get to harvest it is a different matter.

And get to export it - that could be a problem.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 26-Mar-22 18:17:24

Love the way Biden referenced the rise in autocracy and populism and the threat to democracy.