Gransnet forums

News & politics

More Tory sleaze

(135 Posts)
varian Sat 02-Apr-22 20:54:11

Is this sort of behaviour from Tory MPs just par for the course these days?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10679563/Conservative-MP-David-Warburton-suspended-amid-sex-drugs-allegations.html

Gillycats Sat 02-Apr-22 21:02:54

Labour and Lib Dems are as bad! The sleaze just keeps coming from all parties, not just the Tories.

DaisyAnne Sat 02-Apr-22 21:09:03

So what and who would that be Gillycats?

paddyann54 Sat 02-Apr-22 21:12:13

ReallyGillycats can you name some..no...one ?

MayBee70 Sat 02-Apr-22 21:13:38

Gillycats

Labour and Lib Dems are as bad! The sleaze just keeps coming from all parties, not just the Tories.

Can you tell me who this Labour and LibDem MP’s are please. And what they have done.

Coastpath Sat 02-Apr-22 21:33:04

Allegations from three women, two of whom were former aides who couldn't go through the normal complaints procedure as Warburton had employed his wife as his secretary and she was responsible for HR matters.

Also, and not in the DM article, Warburton borrowed £100,000 from a Russian businessman called Joukovski,. He borrowed the money via an offshore entity as he knew Joukovski was not considered a 'fit and proper person' by the Financial Conduct Authority. In return for the loan the MP set up meetings for the Russian with MPs including Jacob Rees Mogg.

archive.ph/2022.04.02-175204/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-mp-david-warburton-suspended-after-sex-and-drugs-allegations-h3t8ghj0q

Callistemon21 Sat 02-Apr-22 21:45:32

Whilst not disputing any other allegations, which do need further investigation, this allegation from the report puzzled me:

The woman, who is not named, alleged that he would also not leave her home, and stripped naked before climbing into her bed and groping her breasts

Would you go to your bed when there was a man in your house who refused to leave?
I don't know about anyone else but I certainly wouldn't.
confused

Gillycats Sat 02-Apr-22 21:49:24

Ah. I see our blinkered friends here do not read, or want to, about the likes of Claudia Webbe, Layla Moran, Fiona Onasanya, Keith Vaz… the list goes on. It’s not just the Tories that have their fair share of less than honourable members. And let’s not forget that Cable, Swinson and Davies all have some responsibility for the dreadful Post Office scandal.

Gillycats Sat 02-Apr-22 21:54:43

Does that answer your question DaisyAnne, paddyann54, MayBee70? Labour have been just as unscrupulous as the Tories when in power. Just stating the facts here.

DaisyAnne Sat 02-Apr-22 22:41:27

Not really. I don't think these people have done anything that compares with those in government at the moment. I admit it's difficult for them to destroy democracy and that, by comparison, it's easy for Johnson et al. However, this list would bring us nowhere near the current Tory swamp.

Sussexborn Sat 02-Apr-22 22:54:34

Obviously not in the eyes of the diehard Tory haters. It’s ok to turn a blind eye to any left wing failings but Tory failings must be picked over and over.

varian Sat 02-Apr-22 23:10:40

Is a "diehard Tory hater" a diehard Tory who hates facing up to the truth ?

volver Sat 02-Apr-22 23:18:10

Well, after that particularly blatant attempt at diverting blame, any comments on the cocaine snorting, woman-harassing Tory MP taking money from the Russians, (allegedly) whose story broke today? Anyone?

Dinahmo Sat 02-Apr-22 23:36:18

Sussexborn

Obviously not in the eyes of the diehard Tory haters. It’s ok to turn a blind eye to any left wing failings but Tory failings must be picked over and over.

No one is turning a blind eye to the faults of MPs of the other parties. They were criticised/chastised/fined as appropriate when their failings were discovered. We are now talking about the current govt and their actions. Their behaviour, it seems to me, is far worse than anything else mentioned on here.

I think it's good that there are some diehard Tory haters on here - how else would you find about the wrongs in society at the moment? Maybe you don't think that they are wrongs?

Gillycats Sat 02-Apr-22 23:47:05

As usual the truth hurts the Labourites. How dare anyone even suggest that Labour and Lib Dems aren’t squeaky clean….(antisemitism, domestic violence, fraud, threatening an acid attack - I’d have thought they’d be more concerning but apparently not for anyone who isn’t a Tory).

Coastpath Sun 03-Apr-22 00:51:06

There have been so many failings in the past, but now we could change things by all campaigning for better not harping on about the past. Labour and libdem aren't in power, Tory are and they are doing a shameful job.

Casdon Sun 03-Apr-22 06:05:20

There are incidents/scandals in all parties. What is shocking is the unprecedented number in the current government.
Just since the last election and off the top of my head, there’s been Partygate, PPE, Owen Paterson, Priti Patel, Matt Hancock, Rob Roberts, Daniel Kawynski (probably spelt that wrong), and Greensill. In three years.

vegansrock Sun 03-Apr-22 06:08:37

So that fact that there are incidents in all parties makes this one ok? And we’ve all got to blame the woman involved too don’t forget

Lucca Sun 03-Apr-22 06:50:03

So your child comes home from school having been caught say blatantly bullying another pupil and cheating in exams . He/she says ah but some pupils did something like that last year. Do you say that makes it ok?

MayBee70 Sun 03-Apr-22 08:53:38

Gillycats

As usual the truth hurts the Labourites. How dare anyone even suggest that Labour and Lib Dems aren’t squeaky clean….(antisemitism, domestic violence, fraud, threatening an acid attack - I’d have thought they’d be more concerning but apparently not for anyone who isn’t a Tory).

Am I right in thinking that the MP’s concerned we’re removed from the Party? And, let’s not forget, it was the PM himself who agreed to help a friend get someone beaten up.

volver Sun 03-Apr-22 09:20:46

vegansrock

So that fact that there are incidents in all parties makes this one ok? And we’ve all got to blame the woman involved too don’t forget

I think you'll find that blaming the woman started on this thread at 21:45 last night. sad

Galaxy Sun 03-Apr-22 09:57:48

Hes finished surely, allegations from three different women, numbers shouldnt matter but realistically they do.

varian Sun 03-Apr-22 10:03:19

Sex, drugs and dodgy Russian money ought to be enough to get him sacked from any job surely?

DaisyAnne Sun 03-Apr-22 10:08:21

Gillycats

Who is saying the other parties are squeaky clean?

That post is not a "truth". The Tories wouldn't know what that was even if God came down and told them what a truth was. Why should anyone believe they are either moral or truthful.

All the Tories I have seen over the last decade plus have just been out to exploit others for their own ends.

Urmstongran Sun 03-Apr-22 10:13:29

What a sleazeball he is. I for one cannot defend the indefensible. I’m ashamed by his behaviour. I’m glad he isn’t my MP. Or worse - a family member or friend.