Gransnet forums

News & politics

More Tory sleaze

(136 Posts)
varian Sat 02-Apr-22 20:54:11

Is this sort of behaviour from Tory MPs just par for the course these days?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10679563/Conservative-MP-David-Warburton-suspended-amid-sex-drugs-allegations.html

Callistemon21 Sun 03-Apr-22 10:21:23

volver

vegansrock

So that fact that there are incidents in all parties makes this one ok? And we’ve all got to blame the woman involved too don’t forget

I think you'll find that blaming the woman started on this thread at 21:45 last night. sad

If you're meaning me (yet again) just say so.

You have a habit of twisting what say volver.

I'm not blaming the woman for this man's appalling behaviour - but would you have done that?
Not blame at all, just wondering why she was so naive?

Perhaps some others on here might have done the same, wrongly assuming the man concerned would have behaved as he should and left the house when asked.

JaneJudge Sun 03-Apr-22 10:25:59

If he stripped naked and sexually assaulted her he needs to be charged surely? especially as she couldn'y get him to leave her home.

I imagine lots of us who post here and our daughters have been put in situations by men that are frightening and that we felt we had no control over. I don't think it matters if that makes us naive.

DaisyAnne Sun 03-Apr-22 10:30:08

Coastpath

There have been so many failings in the past, but now we could change things by all campaigning for better not harping on about the past. Labour and libdem aren't in power, Tory are and they are doing a shameful job.

Thank you for that breath of fresh air Coastpath. It was getting a little stale with the same old same old.

We could change it but it will be difficult. In so many countries the Russian backed politicians are aiming at an Oligarchy with "less of the democracy, please" being the order of the day.

When the "Tory Lovers" attempt to derail any post where because they don't like the truth, we know progress is being made.

They try not to hear what people are saying but, currently, Rishi Sunak "I will give to those working but not to the poor" is dropping. Those thinking he is doing badly have overtaken those who think he is doing well.

Sunak: 33% Bad job 27% Good job
Johnson: 63% Bad job. 32% Good job.
Government approval: 24% Approve. 54% Disapprove
Likely to vote Conservative in the next election: 3.72

Open your eyes "Tory lovers". People have seen through the lies and obfuscation.

Callistemon21 Sun 03-Apr-22 10:34:18

JaneJudge

If he stripped naked and sexually assaulted her he needs to be charged surely? especially as she couldn'y get him to leave her home.

I imagine lots of us who post here and our daughters have been put in situations by men that are frightening and that we felt we had no control over. I don't think it matters if that makes us naive.

Yes, he is a sleaze-ball, he's a sex pest, a danger to woman.
He should be charged before more get assaulted.

That's why I wouldn't go to bed with him still in the house - would you?
I'd have kicked him out or left myself.

JaneJudge Sun 03-Apr-22 10:37:14

Maybe she tried to? or maybe she felt threatened by him? or maybe she didn't think he would do something like that?

Lots of people have trauma responses to stressful situations. Which could mean doing nothing or pretending everything was normal.

volver Sun 03-Apr-22 10:44:46

Callistemon21

volver

vegansrock

So that fact that there are incidents in all parties makes this one ok? And we’ve all got to blame the woman involved too don’t forget

I think you'll find that blaming the woman started on this thread at 21:45 last night. sad

If you're meaning me (yet again) just say so.

You have a habit of twisting what say volver.

I'm not blaming the woman for this man's appalling behaviour - but would you have done that?
Not blame at all, just wondering why she was so naive?

Perhaps some others on here might have done the same, wrongly assuming the man concerned would have behaved as he should and left the house when asked.

Yes Call, I meant your post.

You tell us you would never have done that, but we don’t know anything about this woman. (Well, I don’t, at least) Was she young? Was she under the influence of drink or drugs? Was he her boss? Was she terrified having a powerful man in her house? Whatever the situation, what you say starts to paint a picture of a woman who isn’t like “us”, so its hardly surprising what happened to her, is it? Next step, somebody starts thinking “she deserved it, silly mare”. Next step, “poor man, what do you expect to have happened?” It’s a slippery slope and it seems that people can’t see that.

So please don't accuse me of "twisting what you say". Accept that maybe I, and others, can see nuances of which you are entirely unaware.

Coastpath Sun 03-Apr-22 10:50:59

Perhaps she believed she could trust him to do the decent thing, that he would just go home or at worst, just go to sleep.

At the last election over 36,000 people voted for him (55% of the vote). They obviously thought they could trust him. He's obviously a convincing and persuasive dirt bag.

Urmstongran Sun 03-Apr-22 10:56:06

He’s married with 2 children too. Shameful behaviour.
I feel sorry for his wife and kids.

Callistemon21 Sun 03-Apr-22 11:14:57

Coastpath

Perhaps she believed she could trust him to do the decent thing, that he would just go home or at worst, just go to sleep.

At the last election over 36,000 people voted for him (55% of the vote). They obviously thought they could trust him. He's obviously a convincing and persuasive dirt bag.

Yes, Coastpath exactly what I thought.

Which was very naive.

GillT57 Sun 03-Apr-22 11:39:47

The fact is that the allegations are there, he would appear to be a piece of work, and as Urmstongran has shown with her post, the disgust is not based on party politics, it is based on him being an unsuitable person for the job, irrespective of his party affiliation. Whataboutery is not relevant here, the man is a disgrace, and quite possible a security risk if he has, as has been alleged, taken a loan from a Russian who was flagged by the FCA as high risk, seems to have a cocaine habit, and is a sexual predator. The Labour party and the LibDems have had their unsavoury members too, and have dealt with it; I fail to see the relevance. By the way, in your fevered desire to distract from this shameful episode, some of you have assumed that all those critical of this man's behaviour are 'Labourites', not correct, but can we assume that those trying to deflect from this are 'Johnsonites'?

25Avalon Sun 03-Apr-22 11:50:36

Aren’t we all jumping to conclusions here? Could it have been a set up by a foreign power? MP’s have been warned to be careful. Removing the party whip and investigating is the right thing to do. It will be interesting to see if there is foundation to the allegations. Then we can call him out.

Callistemon21 Sun 03-Apr-22 12:07:59

GillT57

The fact is that the allegations are there, he would appear to be a piece of work, and as Urmstongran has shown with her post, the disgust is not based on party politics, it is based on him being an unsuitable person for the job, irrespective of his party affiliation. Whataboutery is not relevant here, the man is a disgrace, and quite possible a security risk if he has, as has been alleged, taken a loan from a Russian who was flagged by the FCA as high risk, seems to have a cocaine habit, and is a sexual predator. The Labour party and the LibDems have had their unsavoury members too, and have dealt with it; I fail to see the relevance. By the way, in your fevered desire to distract from this shameful episode, some of you have assumed that all those critical of this man's behaviour are 'Labourites', not correct, but can we assume that those trying to deflect from this are 'Johnsonites'?

Why is it so many of these kinds of people are attracted into politics?

Is it because they have that type of arrogant, greedy and immoral personality or is the whole culture of political life in this country to blame?

There are, of course, a lot of decent politicians but the numbers who attract attention for all the wrong reasons would seem to be disproportionate compared to the population as a whole.

JaneJudge Sun 03-Apr-22 12:10:18

even if you look at most party councillors at town level, they have some interest in business and passing that business through. It is about power.

I have been impressed recently by how our independent councillors expose these behaviours and in some cases plain sight corruption

JaneJudge Sun 03-Apr-22 12:11:13

Obviously i might just live in dodge central but I doubt it.

Urmstongran Sun 03-Apr-22 12:26:53

25Avalon

Aren’t we all jumping to conclusions here? Could it have been a set up by a foreign power? MP’s have been warned to be careful. Removing the party whip and investigating is the right thing to do. It will be interesting to see if there is foundation to the allegations. Then we can call him out.

Fair point Avalon I wasn’t aware of the background story.

Madgran77 Sun 03-Apr-22 12:27:41

Aren’t we all jumping to conclusions here? Could it have been a set up by a foreign power? MP’s have been warned to be careful. Removing the party whip and investigating is the right thing to do. It will be interesting to see if there is foundation to the allegations. Then we can call him out

Hmmm. He may well have been a victim of a sting but one doesn't end up sitting in a room next to several lines f of coke or get recorded/ send messages re dealers unless one is up for it and therefore vulnerable to the sting!

DaisyAnne Sun 03-Apr-22 12:33:58

JaneJudge

even if you look at most party councillors at town level, they have some interest in business and passing that business through. It is about power.

I have been impressed recently by how our independent councillors expose these behaviours and in some cases plain sight corruption

It has always been about power JaneJudge. There is a need for it to be about that.

However, the question is "the power to do what?". I am not suggesting left or right but good or evil, selfish or altruistic, moral or immoral, etc.

Maudi Sun 03-Apr-22 12:49:45

A third woman, who is believed to have met Mr Warburton through politics, also made claims of illegal drug use against, saying that he snorted 'line after line after line' of cocaine at her London home on February 1 after he 'insisted' on coming over.

She claims the married father-of-two asked her to buy the drug for him and that he would pay her for it. (copied from The Daily Mail)

I think if he is guilty he deserves to be punished accordingly. But the third woman said he asked her to buy the drug and he would pay for it, but who knows if this is true or not and I certainly wouldn't know where to buy drugs from, would you, but this woman did so she must have snorted coke before.

Also I have always thought in rape cases or sexual assault cases, all parties should be named not just the man.

JaneJudge Sun 03-Apr-22 12:54:41

DaisyAnne

JaneJudge

It has always been about power JaneJudge. There is a need for it to be about that.

However, the question is "the power to do what?". I am not suggesting left or right but good or evil, selfish or altruistic, moral or immoral, etc.

money and self interest it seems here

DaisyAnne Sun 03-Apr-22 13:25:46

Indeed Jane

GillT57 Sun 03-Apr-22 13:34:08

Ok, so let's assume it was a sting, the fact remains that he willingly bought and snorted cocaine, willingly pestered women, at the very least he shows a shocking lack of judgement or is he so convinced or his irresistibility that he assumed that the women would be grateful for his sleazy attention? He also borrowed money from a dodgy Russian and it is alleged, arranged a meeting between said dodgy Russian and Jacob Rees-Mogg. ALLEGEDLY.

paddyann54 Sun 03-Apr-22 13:53:40

HISTORICAL problems? Honestly I dont even know some of the names you mentioned .I thought you meant current Labour/libdem and SNP sleaze.
I know Pete Wishart had an affair ...he left his wife because of it but with a record like the PM has ..one affair hardly seems worth mentioning .

Casdon Sun 03-Apr-22 13:54:16

Maudi

A third woman, who is believed to have met Mr Warburton through politics, also made claims of illegal drug use against, saying that he snorted 'line after line after line' of cocaine at her London home on February 1 after he 'insisted' on coming over.

She claims the married father-of-two asked her to buy the drug for him and that he would pay her for it. (copied from The Daily Mail)

I think if he is guilty he deserves to be punished accordingly. But the third woman said he asked her to buy the drug and he would pay for it, but who knows if this is true or not and I certainly wouldn't know where to buy drugs from, would you, but this woman did so she must have snorted coke before.

Also I have always thought in rape cases or sexual assault cases, all parties should be named not just the man.

Maudi your last sentence has really shocked me. If a man raped you, would you want your name on the news and in the papers? That would be absolutely the last thing I’d want.

JaneJudge Sun 03-Apr-22 13:55:37

he doesn't sound like he has any boundaries at all and that in itself is dangerous

Dinahmo Sun 03-Apr-22 14:18:23

My understanding is that the claimant worked for him. In such circumstances one is supposed to report the complaint to your HR person. In this instance it was his wife so the woman couldn't complain to her.

He was elected in 2015 when MPs could still employ members of their family. The rules were subsequently change (in 2016 I think) so newer intake could not employ wives, children etc.