Gransnet forums

News & politics

European Union President Ursula Von Der Leyen visits Ukraine to see Bucha massacre victims for herself.

(105 Posts)
DaisyAnne Fri 08-Apr-22 18:54:45

Brave women and just the right thing to do.

Obviously it needs to be done with care but going into Ukraine tells Putin we have not bowed to his views. We still see Ukraine as a sovereign state.

Floriel Sat 09-Apr-22 18:27:33

So many Boris bashers on GN, I hope they eat their words now that they know Boris has visited too. And I believe the UK has offered a lot more support than Germany. Our Armed Forces have been training with the Ukrainians for several years and Boris has been staunch in his support, as President Zelensky always acknowledges.

Campervanner Sat 09-Apr-22 18:28:24

It is unlikely that we know exactly what any visiting politicians are doing or where they are going or who they are meeting due to very tight security. They all deserve respect.

Casdon Sat 09-Apr-22 18:35:43

There are pictures of her online at the site Campervanner so we do know she did. As covered by the Daily Mail.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10700383/European-Union-President-Ursula-Von-Der-Leyen-visits-Ukraine-Bucha-massacre-victims.html

maddyone Sat 09-Apr-22 18:40:32

What’s stopping him?

Nothing growstuff. He’s been.

volver Sat 09-Apr-22 18:41:36

Floriel

So many Boris bashers on GN, I hope they eat their words now that they know Boris has visited too. And I believe the UK has offered a lot more support than Germany. Our Armed Forces have been training with the Ukrainians for several years and Boris has been staunch in his support, as President Zelensky always acknowledges.

Do you not see the irony that in a post complaining about Boris Bashers, you decide to have a bash at the Germans?

Floriel Sat 09-Apr-22 19:03:46

volver

Floriel

Do you not see the irony that in a post complaining about Boris Bashers, you decide to have a bash at the Germans?

No Volver, I don’t see any irony here. I wasn’t complaining about general bashing but specifically Boris-bashing, so where exactly is the irony?

volver Sat 09-Apr-22 19:32:32

Aren't you complaining that people will bash Boris without the slightest grounds to base it on? And yet you bash the Germans for something that isn't true.

Irony.

President Zelenskyy is going to praise anybody who comes to his country and pledges help, or who has sent him weapons and aid. Who would blame him?

Floriel Sat 09-Apr-22 19:42:04

I think the Germans have been fairly culpable over the years, cosying up to Putin, making themselves reliant on Russian gas supplies, and resisting stronger sanctions. Boris probably deserves a good bashing for many things, but his support of Ukraine has been steadfast and it’s been actions rather than fine words.

volver Sat 09-Apr-22 19:43:26

Culpable?

I'll away before I say something I shouldn't about countries cosying up to Putin.

Casdon Sat 09-Apr-22 19:46:38

Crikey Floriel you can’t be serious. Who has been cosying up to the Russians, where have the oligarchs seen as the best place for blind eyes to be turned. Clue: not Germany.

Jaxjacky Sat 09-Apr-22 20:28:03

Oh, I don’t know Casdon looks like Germany has a few too.
www.reuters.com/world/europe/german-resorts-rift-over-russian-oligarch-resonates-across-country-2022-03-21/

Casdon Sat 09-Apr-22 21:45:45

Interesting thanks Jaxjacky, I hadn’t seen that - wonder if they have any oligarchs in their government structure as we do here? It looks like the whole of Europe has been turning a blind eye.

Jaxjacky Sat 09-Apr-22 22:07:29

Probably Casdon but I don’t know, it’s was a chat I had recently with a friend abroad that alerted me.

Witzend Sun 10-Apr-22 10:05:46

Boris may not have visited a disaster area, only Kyiv, but he’s promised weapons, which from the Ukrainian POV is rather more to the point.

volver Sun 10-Apr-22 10:08:42

Can we not try to play the one-upmanship game here?

The President of the EU seems to have given indications that Ukraine will get to join the EU quickly, Johnson promised more weapons. Czech Republic has sent tanks.

Nobody is sitting in Ukraine with a list deciding who their new best friends are.

LilacChaser Sun 10-Apr-22 10:12:14

Yes, but for all these visits, what good is the EU actually doing? They've been better than the UK in admitting refugees from Ukraine, admittedly, but are very, very slow in cutting themselves off from Putin and imposing heavy sanctions.

Visits are all very well but they need to be followed up by something constructive.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-Apr-22 10:18:29

LilacChaser

Yes, but for all these visits, what good is the EU actually doing? They've been better than the UK in admitting refugees from Ukraine, admittedly, but are very, very slow in cutting themselves off from Putin and imposing heavy sanctions.

Visits are all very well but they need to be followed up by something constructive.

What is the EU doing?

Here is a list

Taken in millions of refugees

Donated billions of Euros

Given Ukraine vast quantities of weapons

If Ukraine is admitted to the EU which seems almost certain, it will be given billions of Euros for reparation and more.

As one of most most powerful blocks in the world is is putting pressure on the U.N. India and China .

The list goes on but I expect you get the drift?

MerylStreep Sun 10-Apr-22 10:22:05

Floriel
Your not alone in your thinking.

At least this article is from the Guardian so the thread police can’t object. ?
www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/05/germany-angela-merkel-power-to-vladimir-putin-russia

Callistemon21 Sun 10-Apr-22 10:22:36

Jaxjacky

Oh, I don’t know Casdon looks like Germany has a few too.
www.reuters.com/world/europe/german-resorts-rift-over-russian-oligarch-resonates-across-country-2022-03-21/

Ukraine had problems with its oligarchs

On Nov. 6, 2021, Ukrainian President Zelenskiy signed a law designed to curb oligarch influence
Was that the catalyst?

Oligarchs had infiltrated other European countries too, over many years, especially Eastern and Central Europe. It has been deliberate and systematic.

vegansrock Sun 10-Apr-22 10:26:04

Not to mention the UK

DaisyAnne Sun 10-Apr-22 10:27:16

as President Zelensky always acknowledges. Floriel [Sat 09-Apr-22 18:27:33]

President Zelensky is a very clever man. He says to each country exactly what they want to hear. He would do anything to save Ukraine from the Russians. I'm not sure how many people believe Johnson would do the same. It could depend on how many parties they throw for him and if they redecorated his flat.

DaisyAnne Sun 10-Apr-22 10:29:53

volver

Floriel

The so-called "Boris Bashers" only appear when the Boris Lovers offer a crass insult to people's intelligence IMO.

Coastpath Sun 10-Apr-22 10:30:42

It could depend on how many parties they throw for him and if they redecorated his flat.

grin Now that made me laugh.

Callistemon21 Sun 10-Apr-22 10:31:14

vegansrock

Not to mention the UK

That was the whole point of some posts wasn't it? confused

We know about the UK but many people thought it was just the UK which was in collusion with Russian oligarchs and seemed unaware that their power and influence is Europe (and EU) wide.

Casdon Sun 10-Apr-22 10:51:34

I did know it was Europe wide, but I wasn’t aware of Germany being part of it, and it did surprise me because I didn’t think Merkel would tolerate it. Money obviously talks everywhere. If every country tightens sanctions as they are doing now, the pressure being put by the oligarchs on Putin must be tremendous.