Gransnet forums

News & politics

European Union President Ursula Von Der Leyen visits Ukraine to see Bucha massacre victims for herself.

(105 Posts)
DaisyAnne Fri 08-Apr-22 18:54:45

Brave women and just the right thing to do.

Obviously it needs to be done with care but going into Ukraine tells Putin we have not bowed to his views. We still see Ukraine as a sovereign state.

Stewi27 Tue 12-Apr-22 08:56:59

Some people are very naive about how negotiations work. In business it is often the later meetings that tie up [rubber stamp] the bigger picture of the deal and plug any deficit.

Maybe Boris rocked up after the rest to offer areas of expertise which were still lacking. Maybe der Leyen paved the way. Someone had to go first, someone second.

Don't go thinking the order of the meetings wasn't orchestrated to achieve the maximum benefit to Ukraine. No politician is looking to gain anything from pushing to the front of the queue in this instance.

It is not a competition.

Maudi Tue 12-Apr-22 09:02:25

08:34DaisyAnne

The statement made by Ursula von der Leyen, the President of the European Commission, on 27 February 2022.

As the war in Ukraine rages on, and Ukrainians fight bravely for their country, the European Union steps up once more its support for Ukraine and the sanctions against the aggressor – Putin’s Russia.

For the first time ever, the European Union will finance the purchase and delivery of weapons and other equipment to a country that is under attack.

This is a watershed moment.

I can't find the article about the UK you will have to Google it.

Maudi Tue 12-Apr-22 09:08:29

08:34DaisyAnne

? I don't understand your post.

DaisyAnne Tue 12-Apr-22 13:51:53

Thank you for that information Maudi. I should have remembered it from there. I don't know about the UK but I hope it is the same.