Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tory illegal campaign donation

(56 Posts)
Esspee Mon 16-May-22 10:26:45

Barclays Bank alerted the National Crime Agency to huge transactions to the Tory Party.
They traced a “clear line” to a pro Kremlin politician and flagged suspected money laundering and an illegal campaign donation.
nytimes.com/2022/05/12

Why did it take an American newspaper to unearth this latest disgraceful episode of corruption and why is it not headline news in this country?

OakDryad Tue 17-May-22 10:07:31

There was a small piece in The Guardian newsfeed about Sheleg pointing to Jane Bradley's work. All I know is that Johnson has brushed this off (well he would, wouldn't he?) and the Electoral Commission says it is looking into it.

I feel like we are in a state of limbo waiting for the police to conclude their investigations and for the Sue Gray report. Minister after minister making crass public statements about the costs of living crisis. We shall see what is said today about a windfall tax on oil profits. Johnson’s Hard Brexit pushed to help him win the leadership contest is proving to be a very dangerous mistake.

The *Tory MP who has consistently spoken out about Russian money is Tom Tugendhat who chaired the "Moscow Gold" committee and pressed for the Russia report to be publicised before the 2019 election while Johnson sat on it as he knew it would be damning.

*Chris Bryant for the opposition, of course.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/21/russian-dirty-money-is-damaging-uk-security-mps-say

The UK government has been complicit in all of this; why I find Johnson's posturing over Ukraine so sickening and his party using the Ukrainian people as a human shield to protect his position even more sickening.

Do I see Tugendhat as PM until we can rid ourselves of a Tory government altogether? Possibly not. He is more interested in foreign policy than domestic matters and is pro-nuclear energy. He should be in the cabinet as Foreign or Defence Secretary at the very least but as he is a fierce opponent of Johnson, it isn't going to happen under he is ousted.

Rousseau was right when he said:

The English people believes itself to be free; it is gravely mistaken; it is free only during the election of Members of Parliament; as soon as the Members are elected, the people is enslaved; it is nothing.

Esspee Tue 17-May-22 13:39:48

volver

The Times: www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tories-urged-to-return-450-000-donation-with-links-to-russia-h0djlqm6q

The Mirror: www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/major-boris-johnson-donor-suspected-26946479

The National : www.thenational.scot/news/20134833.major-tory-donor-suspected-pouring-russian-money-party/

The Spectator: www.spectator.co.uk/article/tories-face-questions-over-russia-linked-cash

I haven't read them all, but its certainly not being censored.

Thank you Volver. I haven’t seen any of these. It should be front page news in my opinion.

I am appalled that this government, mired as it is in sleaze, now has the general public inured to their corruption.

HousePlantQueen Tue 17-May-22 13:57:25

Electoral Commission says it is looking into it. but the problems is Oakdryad, that this corrupt administration is in the process of taking control of the previously independent Electoral Commissioners.

OakDryad Tue 17-May-22 14:14:55

HousePlantQueen

^Electoral Commission says it is looking into it^. but the problems is Oakdryad, that this corrupt administration is in the process of taking control of the previously independent Electoral Commissioners.

Of course. In the almost daily revelations of Tory mismanagemnt and manipulation. I'd forgotten that the bill passed last month:

Lord Sikka: “The Electoral Commission will now be under government control, with ministers not only making Conservative Party rules but will also make rules for other political parties and now anything about disclosure of donations, who can make a donation and whether a donation is unlawful that will be a ministerial decision.”

This disgusting government are chipping away at democracy becoming more and more like dictators. The next will be the bill in the Queen's Speech to allow ministers to overturn judicial decisions. Nothing at all to do with whatever dirty swap deal Patel has done with Rwanda over people who have already been given asylum here.

Callistemon21 Tue 17-May-22 17:06:20

Germanshepherdsmum

^Worried that these threads make people think^

Are you serious Daisy?

???

Are we being subjected to censorship?

I think we have a lot more access to news now than back then.
All there was were the newspapers and radio, most people didn't have a TV.

Would gossip have been considered treason?