Gransnet forums

News & politics

So ... no more fines for Boris!

(209 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 19-May-22 12:05:35

186 issued.
None for Boris.

Mamie Thu 19-May-22 13:17:34

It appears that the reason Johnson will not receive fines is because the events took place in his home. If this reflects the letter of the law at the time, then I think most people with a modicum of decency would conclude that it does not reflect the spirit.

Urmstongran Thu 19-May-22 13:33:40

Kandinsky

Why can’t Urmstongran start threads about politics without people rolling their eyes?
People start thread after thread attacking the tories so what’s the problem?
No one has to read what anyone posts.

I’m used to it Kandinsky it’s. par for the course now! ?

Urmstongran Thu 19-May-22 13:37:43

Well Sky News is hilarious at the moment. What ? No further fines for Boris ? But..but we can still get him can't we ? There is Sue Gray after all. Surely that will do it. If not then the inquiry into misleading Parliament - that must do it surely?. Oh - and let's keep quiet on Beergate just in case. The electorate ? Who are they to decide ?

DiamondLily Thu 19-May-22 13:52:18

The Sue Grey report should be enlightening.

But, disregarding parties, Johnson is the worst PM I can ever remember, and deserves to go because of his incompetence, constant lying, self serving entitlement, and that he does nothing to help those really struggling.

The two by-elections on 23rd June should be interesting.

Callistemon21 Thu 19-May-22 14:03:00

Urmstongran

186 issued.
None for Boris.

Urmonstongran might be expressing surprise and dismay - has anyone thought of that?

How did I miss an Abba party?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-May-22 14:06:32

I am flipping cross I missed the ABBA party, I love ABBA.

AGAA4 Thu 19-May-22 14:06:57

I am saddened by this but not surprised. Johnson has managed to slither his way out of this so far and as time goes on it loses impetus for people who have a lot more to worry about.
I can only hope Sue Gray will be able to reignite the outrage.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-May-22 14:07:25

On a more serious note, I really wish we could have a GE PDQ.

DiamondLily Thu 19-May-22 14:14:58

Callistemon21

Urmstongran

186 issued.
None for Boris.

Urmonstongran might be expressing surprise and dismay - has anyone thought of that?

How did I miss an Abba party?

It was in his flat, but he was apparently interviewing Carrie's mate for a job, so the party wasn't a party lol

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/partygate-abba-party-boris-johnson-job-interview-b2067432.html

Funny old job interview - I've never had to drink wine, and dance, whilst singing Money, Money, Money, at any job interview I've ever attended ,,,?

Callistemon21 Thu 19-May-22 14:18:34

Perhaps it was how well she performed to Dancing Queen?
Having the time of her life?

Take a chance on me?
Although I'd want to know about the Money, Money, Money myself grin

Callistemon21 Thu 19-May-22 14:19:50

ps I've never been offered so much as a cup of tea at a job interview.

Elusivebutterfly Thu 19-May-22 14:26:01

The BBC says Boris was fined so I don't understand how anyone is saying he was not fined after reading the article? It says Boris was fined last month but will receive no further fines.

Is there any news on when the Sue Grey report will come out?

OakDryad Thu 19-May-22 14:28:37

DiamondLily The fines become irrelevant when you are dealing with a man who believes he is above the law. He could have been given umpteen fines and he would still not resign. It is all part of his game to push people as far as he can to test if they will still support him however much he fails, however badly he behaves.

His party can force the issue by writing to Brady and forcing a vote of no confidence but they are too intent on protecting their own positions to do so. Why would any of the new MPs elected in 2019, suddenly earning 84K a year with all the donor money, perks and priviledges that go with it want to give that up? Even Head of the Commons and former Chief Whip Mark Spencer has admitted that the 2019 cohort they drafted to throw at red wall seats (using dirty Russian money - let's not forget) were poorly selected. So they cling on, voting for whatever the whips tell them too in order to cling to power.

I look forward to the Sue Gray report but even if it's damning Johnson will not go of his own accord. He will have to be pushed out. Between now and then he will seek to undermine his current cabinet. Liz Truss is a sitting target although she doesn't help herself by being so spectacularly stupid over Ukraine and NI. Miliband had demonstrated that Johnson doesn't even understand the NI Protocol.

It's frightening when you look at the current cabinet and think who might be vying for the top job. Johnson has manipulated that too into Hobson's Choice. Priti Patel anyone? Gove? Any coup will have to come from outside the current cabal.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-May-22 14:29:25

Elusivebutterfly

The BBC says Boris was fined so I don't understand how anyone is saying he was not fined after reading the article? It says Boris was fined last month but will receive no further fines.

Is there any news on when the Sue Grey report will come out?

No one is saying Mr.Johnson hasn’t been fined, just that he hasn’t received a fine (or at least it hasn’t been confirmed) in the latest tranche of FPN.

DiamondLily Thu 19-May-22 14:38:24

OakDryad...no, I agree with you.

Until Tory MPs show some gumption, he will cling on. All they seem to say is that there is no one else - are they really that lacking in talent in the Tory party?

Whether it's in his personal life, or his public life, he has always got away with lying and behaving in a way that most decent people would consider abhorrent.

God knows why people are so gullible and forgiving, especially as he laughs at them for being that way - but there we go.

Politics is a funny old game.?

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 19-May-22 14:42:05

Didn’t Johnson say in the dim and distant past that he would read Sue Gray’s report first and then make a decision on whether it should be released or not? I hope Gray had made sufficient copies and locked them away in various cupboards!

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 19-May-22 14:43:05

It was announced on the radio that the report is coming out next week.

OakDryad Thu 19-May-22 14:59:19

DL I know you did. smile

I regularly watch the debates in Parliament. There are some decent people on the backbenches in both parties. Sadly, Johnson has surrounded himself with Brexiteers, however talentless, in order to be seen as the Party saviour and the person who got "Brexit done" however bloody disastrous it has turned out to be. What was the latest figure? 185 billion in lost growth ... from the party who keep saying it's all about growth. We have the poorest growth of all the G7 nations. Why might that be?

Using the Ukranian people as a shield for his shoddy behaviour is utterly reprehensible. Even Jeremy Hunt, clearly eyeing up the top job again, is saying it.

I always urge people to read Peter Oborne's book The Assault on Truth to understand how this man has been lying all his career to manipulate people for his own ends .. and to read Jonathan Lis on Bylines who explains what a dangerous man Johnson is for our democracy.

I agree. He laughs at the people who support him. As I wrote yesterday, almost in tears at his callousness over people who will be hungry and cold this winter. 9000 people over the age of 65 died last year from cold. That could easily double, treble this year and he simply doesn't care.

AGAA4 Thu 19-May-22 15:06:58

It feels as though we have gone back to Dickensian times when people spent their time trying to get enough to eat and freezing to death as they couldn't afford coal.

BlueBelle Thu 19-May-22 15:07:23

You love that awful man so much Umstrong. But I m not so sure it’s going to be a quiet thread so many of us see right through him and his criminal ways
They used to call Tony Blair Teflon Tony I think this man beats him into a cocked hat as my dear old grandad used to say ‘if they fell in shxx they d come up smelling of roses’ and that fits Johnson like a second skin

DiamondLily Thu 19-May-22 15:09:11

I lived in London, for part of the time he was London Mayor. The hundreds of millions wasted on vanity projects (some not even started) , and water cannons that were illegal, was jaw dropping.?

Throughout that time, he gave endless speeches telling us how important it was to remain in the EU, and he wanted amnesties for all illegal immigrants because they were cheap labour.

As soon as he saw it might get him the keys to Number 10, he suddenly became a Brexiteer, and wanting border controls...lol

I honestly don't understand why anyone would trust him - his personal and private life is littered with lies and broken promises.?

TopsyIrene06 Thu 19-May-22 15:11:15

Quiet? I'm not. What I am is furious , more at the people who accept this shoddy government. You have to wonder why so many ignore the lying and double standards.
KS will, in all probability be found guilty which is fine if it isn't a stitch up by the Met. and then, just maybe, the general public will ask a few questions. Or have we generally lowered our standards because there is nothing better to chose from? How sad life has become.
If you have a minute, listen to the speech made by Mairi Black in the Commons yesterday. Food for thought.

DiamondLily Thu 19-May-22 15:16:01

TopsyIrene06

Quiet? I'm not. What I am is furious , more at the people who accept this shoddy government. You have to wonder why so many ignore the lying and double standards.
KS will, in all probability be found guilty which is fine if it isn't a stitch up by the Met. and then, just maybe, the general public will ask a few questions. Or have we generally lowered our standards because there is nothing better to chose from? How sad life has become.
If you have a minute, listen to the speech made by Mairi Black in the Commons yesterday. Food for thought.

Durham Police will make the decision on Starmer. The same ones that let Cummings get away with it.

OakDryad Thu 19-May-22 15:24:16

DL ... and how he gave mayoral funds and government money to his lover Jennifer Acuri.

If you can, read the long thread pinned to the top of Jonathan Lis's Twitter feed about Johnson and free movement including:

Now it transpired he didn’t believe in the premise that led people to vote for him. In public, as foreign secretary, he vigorously opposed free movement and made numerous arguments against it. In private he was prepared to admit that was a lie – and admit that to his opponents!

I genuinely couldn’t believe what I had heard. In that most delicate period of pre-negotiation, Britain’s chief diplomat and Brexit’s most important cheerleader had been telling the EU that he didn’t subscribe to Brexit’s most foundational element.

twitter.com/jonlis1/status/1139067505094402049

I shall TopsyIrene. I enjoy watching Mairi attack the government. Big fan of hers over her stance on Trident and how she fought for WASPI women.

DiamondLily Thu 19-May-22 15:30:42

OK...oh yes, I forgot the pole dancer lover...?