Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Ministerial code is to be watered down

(110 Posts)
TopsyIrene06 Fri 27-May-22 15:29:28

Pippa Crerar reports that the PM has watered down the ministerial code allowing ministers to break the rules without resigning. He has also blocked a bid to give his ethics advisor the power to investigate him. In addition, he also dismissed calls from Lord Geidt who asked for the power to launch an independent investigation of behaviour in the wake of the Downing Street flat row.
Anybody else picked this up?

Framilode Fri 27-May-22 17:36:33

It's sickening and very, very frightening. I have just read 'A Village in Germany' and this is how a country sleepwalks into facism.

Daisymae Fri 27-May-22 17:40:21

It's really incredible. Any Tory MP with any integrity must be considering their position.

Ilovecheese Fri 27-May-22 17:42:31

Let us hope so Daisyanne and they better be quick about it or they will be tarred with the same brush as Johnson.

DaisyAnne Fri 27-May-22 18:00:24

Esspee

I am beginning to feel positively sick at the direction this country is heading.
The sooner Scotland, Ireland and Wales detaches themselves from the corrupt government the English have voted in and leaves them to wallow in the degradation, the better.

I'd rather they didn't. I would really like them to get together and insist on an English Parliament and a separate UK Senate or whatever they want to call it.

Parsley3 Fri 27-May-22 18:01:54

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/boris-johnson-changes-ministerial-code-rule-breakers-dont-resign_uk_6290dc0de4b0cda85dbdec1b

Just when you thought that the behaviour of the PM couldn’t fall any lower he plays a blinder by changing the rule book. This is the sort of thing I would expect from, say, Kim Jong-un, but surely not from a British PM. I assume he can do this without MPs having a vote on it.

MaizieD Fri 27-May-22 18:02:53

1) I am horrified

2) Ministers in this government have never taken any notice of the Ministerial Code, have they?

3 Why isn't this a top 'trending' topic, instead of gossiping about Carrie Johnson (I never thought she'd last for long, anyway) and Meghan Markle's father?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-May-22 18:07:43

How can he do that? Surely it should be decided by parliament. Isn’t parliament sovereign.

Johnson needs challenging and told what is what.

Why are they all so pathetic!

DaisyAnne Fri 27-May-22 18:12:14

I've just heard this government described as being in the last days of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Johnson seems to be pushing the MPs as far and as hard as he can. Presumably, he thinks they are now so far in the mire they simply will not get rid of him. He must believe that even if they vote, he will get the majority so be protected for a year. God knows what he will do to us during that time.

Farzanah Fri 27-May-22 18:14:57

It always amazing me too MaizieD. Mention RF or say transgender and the posts are on heat.

In my naivety I just couldn’t believe this could happen in a democracy.
We are definitely drifting into a fascist state.

Parsley3 Fri 27-May-22 18:21:14

I can’t beat Andrew Marr’s words on Partygate as they now apply to this latest disgrace.

Egregious stinking behaviour!

Wheniwasyourage Fri 27-May-22 18:35:55

volver

Grandmabatty

Esspee I couldn't agree more. I was never a fan of independence but I am now. I want Scotland to be unshackled from this fascist government. And I don't say that lightly

I've never thought of doing this before but I'm thinking of writing to the 6 Scottish Tory MPs. I don't have much hope of sense from Jack but Mundell seems to be a sensible enough chap, if a bit easily led. Goodness knows about Ross.

Ross is out of his depth, I think, volver. He doesn't reply to emails usually, although when someone I know emailed him about how unreasonable it was to increase MPs' pay when other people weren't getting a rise, he emailed straight back to explain why it was ok!

Happygirl79 Fri 27-May-22 18:36:01

TopsyIrene06

I don't say it lightly either Grandmabatty. I never saw myself as a nationalist but now I am not so sure. I am ashamed at the behaviour of the Westminster government and all the yes men that are loyal to that despot. Have none of them got any backbone to kick him out?

I've written to my MP stating my disgust at him standing up for BJ. He is has lost my vote for being a weak man unable to stand up for integrity and honesty

Doodledog Fri 27-May-22 18:36:14

Can anything be done to stop it? It would be a great 'last hurrah' if the Queen got involved.

ElaineI Fri 27-May-22 18:42:54

Why is this allowed?

DaisyAnne Fri 27-May-22 18:45:03

Parsley3

I can’t beat Andrew Marr’s words on Partygate as they now apply to this latest disgrace.

Egregious stinking behaviour!

Andrew Marr is enjoying saying what he thinks although he went all prep-school calling the PM "Johnson B" at one point.

Even the BBC seem to have stopped feeling they have to put in a false balance or the Government won't give them interviews. Hopefully that's because they can see the end of the government, not the end of democracy.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-May-22 18:45:47

'The Queen’s first minister is now beyond doubt a rogue
prime minister, unworthy of her, her parliament her
people and her kingdom.I cannot remember a day
when I have been more fearful for the wellbeing of the
constitution” Lord Peter Hennessy UK's foremost constitutional lawyer

volver Fri 27-May-22 18:48:17

So, nobody coming to defend him yet?

Have we finally crossed the line?

Oldnproud Fri 27-May-22 18:49:20

I am sickened by it.

What can we do?

I am already waiting on an answer from my Tory MP about whether or not she is still giving her full support to Johnson, and if so, why. I was going to wait for that answer before, assuming her answer is yes, telling her exactly how enabling this lying, manipulate, self-serving piece of $#@$ reflects on her (IMO), but I don't think I can wait for an answer any more. Johnson really can't be allowed really to drag us any further down this dangerous road!

I hope people will react and protests will be organised, because for the first time in my life I would be prepared to join them. This is far too important to ignore.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-May-22 19:03:20

Could he disband the 1922 committee?

CvD66 Fri 27-May-22 19:06:40

So he's innocent right? Didn't lie to parliament? Just a bit of housekeeping?!?!
He knows he can get away with this and is laughing at this country!!!
Of course we can't protest because that's no longer allowed.
PLEASE email everyone you know in the current by-election towns and get them to persuade everyone they know NOT TO VOTE TORY. The only way to shake this government is to give them huge defeats. Then the MPs might start waking up to the idiot they are pandering to.

Lucca Fri 27-May-22 19:15:53

Still wondering who will come on and say this is ok ?

( he’s got charisma? He got Brexit done ? He sorted the vaccine roll out ? At least he’s not Corbyn?)

grannyactivist Fri 27-May-22 19:20:03

Where are the PMs supporters? Is this, at last, a step too far?

My Conservative-voting friends (that I’ve spoken to) are aghast at this latest brazen move and are apparently urging their MPs to put letters in to the 1922 committee. My own (Tory) MP has gone very quiet, but has a 100% record for supporting the PM regardless of the views of his constituents and he has not yet replied to my email. Is even he thinking that it’s all getting out of hand now? hmm

I’m not surprised at this latest assault on standards in public life, I’ve seen similar behaviour in classrooms with weak leadership; permit behaviour to slip and it’s very difficult to restore it. I am appalled though - most especially that his own toadying acolytes are too self-serving to challenge him.

MayBee70 Fri 27-May-22 19:22:32

It isn’t even worth me writing to my MP. She will just defend him yet again.

Oldnproud Fri 27-May-22 19:27:15

CvD66

So he's innocent right? Didn't lie to parliament? Just a bit of housekeeping?!?!
He knows he can get away with this and is laughing at this country!!!
Of course we can't protest because that's no longer allowed.
PLEASE email everyone you know in the current by-election towns and get them to persuade everyone they know NOT TO VOTE TORY. The only way to shake this government is to give them huge defeats. Then the MPs might start waking up to the idiot they are pandering to.

Of course protesting is still allowed.
Yes, there are new laws to curtail things like violence, damage and serious disruption, but peaceful protest is still legal. All the more reason to do it while we can, to try to get rid of a leader who it seems would will have no qualms about totally banning it if he thinks he can get away with it.

Farzanah Fri 27-May-22 19:35:31

Even “The Defendant’s” apologists cannot surely defend this assault on democracy. Let’s hope some major protests are planned. I don’t mind being arrested. My MP is so up PMs posterior it’s not worth even writing to him.