Gransnet forums

News & politics

Next Tory leader

(235 Posts)
varian Tue 05-Jul-22 20:56:24

The Tory party needs a leader who demonstartes the prevailing standards of moral probity or intelligence

How about Chris Pincher or David Warburton if moral probity is key or Nadine Dorries or Jacon Rees Mogg to demonstrate the typical level of intelligence?

Dickens Wed 06-Jul-22 12:11:34

RichmondPark

I hated Thatcher, but I never thought she was out to sell the country down the river for her own personal gain. I can't say the same fo Johnson or the filibustering, profiteering, anti-abortion even on medical grounds or grounds of rape Mogg.

... I disliked Thatcher, intensely.

But the difference between her and Johnson is that I think she genuinely believed in her ideology. It was not a means to an end - it was the end that mattered to her.

For that, I can give her, grudgingly, respect.

Iam64 Wed 06-Jul-22 14:34:09

It’s a strange world where those of us who loathed Thatcher now add her to Clarke, Heseltine and more as honest tories we d prefer to johbson

Spinnaker Wed 06-Jul-22 14:40:25

travelsafar

I believe that Rishi Sunak has resigned along with Javid as both of them will try to go for the PM job if Boris is outed or resigns.

I think you're right travelsafar. I also think that those quitting now will have been offered a seat at the new table of either Sunak or Javid, if and when Johnson goes.

silverlining48 Wed 06-Jul-22 14:57:19

Let’s hope it’s when and not if.

MaizieD Wed 06-Jul-22 15:01:14

Iam64

It’s a strange world where those of us who loathed Thatcher now add her to Clarke, Heseltine and more as honest tories we d prefer to johbson

We're only mentioning her integrity, Iam as a contrast to the greased piglet.. For me that doesn't indicate approval of any kind at all for her.

silverlining48 Wed 06-Jul-22 15:01:44

Javid’s address to parliament today was very good and seemed sincere... but who knows.
Just hearing that more ministers etc have resigned. It must be when not if after all this. But he will be kicking and screaming...

MaizieD Wed 06-Jul-22 15:04:49

Just hearing that more ministers etc have resigned.

I've just taken a quick break from gardening to catch up on twitter and it seems the tally is (was?) 27 people with ministerial posts out of a total of 122.

Dinahmo Wed 06-Jul-22 15:15:10

RichmondPark

I hated Thatcher, but I never thought she was out to sell the country down the river for her own personal gain. I can't say the same fo Johnson or the filibustering, profiteering, anti-abortion even on medical grounds or grounds of rape Mogg.

Not her own personal gain but that of her son Mark who benefited from the arms deal she signed with Saudi Arabia in 1985.

LadyGracie Wed 06-Jul-22 15:26:55

We need a new broom altogether, Andrew RT Davies would be good. Pity that would never happen.

Grammy666 Wed 06-Jul-22 17:31:21

OMG .. Not Mogg for heavens sake .. what a smug entitled Victorian Master .. straight out of Charles dickens ...

maddyone Wed 06-Jul-22 17:37:49

Somebody on another thread said it’s 30 now Maizie. Like you I’ve only just come in, not gardening, but visiting mother in her care home.

RichmondPark Wed 06-Jul-22 17:42:15

Not her own personal gain but that of her son Mark who benefited from the arms deal she signed with Saudi Arabia in 1985.

I'd forgotten that Dinahmo.

silverlining48 Wed 06-Jul-22 17:46:59

Its 36 resignations now apparently.

Katie59 Wed 06-Jul-22 17:55:00

I’m sure Javid will be a candidate, Sunak not so sure, because of his family ties he attracted a lot of flack I won’t be surprised if he stays in the back benches.
So many have tarnished records now difficult to predict a front runner

DaisyAnne Wed 06-Jul-22 17:57:33

He still thinks he, rather than the party, got the 80 seat majority. I do wonder if he will go.

maddyone Wed 06-Jul-22 18:01:58

BBC news, 36 resignations now.

rosie1959 Wed 06-Jul-22 18:13:35

I did think the next PM would be Rhisi Sunak but I suspect he may well now leave politics
So who may be next Ben Wallace

Esspee Wed 06-Jul-22 18:16:54

Javid has to be the front runner after his speech today. Sunak has too many skeletons in his cupboard.
I reckon they have a pact Javid for PM, Sunak as deputy.

M0nica Wed 06-Jul-22 18:21:01

*Ben Wallace was being tipped this evening as being the one most popular with the rank and file.

I agree with having respect for Mrs Thatcher, even though one disagreed with her. Gordon Brown is someone for whom I have profound respect while disagreeing with him on so many issues.

In the past there have been a number of individuals whom I have respect for their principles and honesty, while profoundly opposed to the cause they support.

Visgir1 Wed 06-Jul-22 18:21:47

Esspee

Javid has to be the front runner after his speech today. Sunak has too many skeletons in his cupboard.
I reckon they have a pact Javid for PM, Sunak as deputy.

The vote will be whittled down to the last x2 and then out to the Party as a whole, to make up the final selection.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Jul-22 20:03:20

Please not another right wing populist. This one has been disastrous.

I would look for political integrity, competence, strong and fair policies, supporter of our institutions and upholder of our democracy, a firm hand on cultural integrity.

That is the minimum. Strange really as we took these qualities for granted at one time. This must never be lost again.

Iam64 Wed 06-Jul-22 20:13:33

MaizieD

Iam64

We're only mentioning her integrity, Iam as a contrast to the greased piglet.. For me that doesn't indicate approval of any kind at all for her.

I don’t think my post indicated I approveof Thatcher, I still loathe her. I dislike her and all she stood for but unlike Johnson, I don’t see her as a liar

62Granny Wed 06-Jul-22 20:31:39

Nadim Zahawi will fight for Rishi Sunak for the job I think but TBH I would trust any of them .

62Granny Wed 06-Jul-22 20:36:54

Would not trust

M0nica Wed 06-Jul-22 20:43:30

Iam64 Mrs Thatcher is listed among honest Conservatives because she was one.

As I said above it is possible to admire and respect someone if they are inherently honest and truthful, even though you may profoundly disagree with their cause.